line noise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• line noise

So did you guys all run into the "line noise" issue from connecting your laptop/carputer sound card (line out jack) to your amp using RCA splitters?

I'm guessing it is because I need to hook up a line driver/eq..

What do you think? If you all agree, I'm clicking "buy now" tonight.

This is ****ing me off!!

I didn't run into any line noise. But, I've seen it discussed in the past. You may need a ground loop isolator. Try searching for a few previous posts on the topic.
    -TJ
    Smart Playlists Plugin for RoadRunner
    CarPC - 05 Acura TL Navi (pics soon)
    Retired CarPC - 03 Infiniti Qx4

Comment

I tried one of those ground loop isolators..

They SUCK!!

It made the noise more audible plus it added alternator whine!!! AARGH!!

Comment

So you think a better sound card (over the Via M10000 on-board) would be more crucial than adding an AudioControl EQL? The EQL will not only bump up voltage 7x, which my amp is starving for, but it will help avoid noise and it will give me a 13-band EQ....

I suppose I need to get both, I'm just wondering which I should get first, as I only have the money for one of them....

Comment

Can you provide some more info on your setup and describe the sound (whine or hiss).

If you're using an inverter, I would still lean toward a ground loop problem. It seems to have been the culprit for many others here. Making sure everything is grounded solid usually does the trick from what I've read. Some workarounds are using a pci or usb sound card instead of onboard.

If you're hearing a whine, it's possible alternator noising is leaking into your preamp wires. Using high quality wire and keeping their distance from power cables should help.

See if you can hear the line-noise with headphones plugged into the line out. It may be difficult to tell because of the low volume. But if you hear the noise, you know the amp is just amplifying the problem. You may be able to use some regular pc speakers and a long extension cord as well. I would plug the speakers into a wall jack to eliminate inverter ground loop introducing the noise.
          -TJ
          Smart Playlists Plugin for RoadRunner
          CarPC - 05 Acura TL Navi (pics soon)
          Retired CarPC - 03 Infiniti Qx4

Comment

Right now I'm just using a laptop which I set in my trunk. This has a 1/8" plug with a RCA 2 channel spliter. This is plugged into my Amp's 2 input channels.

The noise is just line noise, "white noise" just background noise, no pops. When I unplug the 1/8" from my laptop, it goes completely silent.

I've also tried using a RIO MP3 player. Same results.

I added the radio shack "ground loop isolator" but the noise got louded and then I could hear alternator whine. (Is there more to it than just plugging it inline? I didn't see any ground wires or anyting to hook up??)

I'm thinking it could be because my laptop isn't grounded. Ryan from Ryanspc.com told me to ground my laptop by hooking a wire up to one of the screws on the back plate of my laptop where all of the ports/plugs are.. will this truly ground my laptop?

Comment

Originally posted by sq_geek
              Right now I'm just using a laptop which I set in my trunk. This has a 1/8" plug with a RCA 2 channel spliter. This is plugged into my Amp's 2 input channels.

The noise is just line noise, "white noise" just background noise, no pops. When I unplug the 1/8" from my laptop, it goes completely silent.

I've also tried using a RIO MP3 player. Same results.

I added the radio shack "ground loop isolator" but the noise got louded and then I could hear alternator whine. (Is there more to it than just plugging it inline? I didn't see any ground wires or anyting to hook up??)

I'm thinking it could be because my laptop isn't grounded. Ryan from Ryanspc.com told me to ground my laptop by hooking a wire up to one of the screws on the back plate of my laptop where all of the ports/plugs are.. will this truly ground my laptop?
              If the rio is causing the same problem it has to do with your amp. First make sure your amp is grounded well. Then turn down the gains, and turn up the volume on the laptop until you reach the optimum sound quality. You'll have to play around with these.

Tom
              1993 Probe GT
              Rio Car w/20gb

Comment

I've been playing with the gains, and it doesn't help. I need to try the muting plug test still, but I am pretty sure it is not the amp. The ground is solid.

Comment

You're problem is quite strange because you say the noise goes away when you unplug it from your laptop, yet the noise is there when you plug in your rio. My suggestion would be to do what the guy said and ground your laptop using the back panel. Then, if that doesn't work, get one of the USB solutions (I recommend Maudio's stuff for higher s/n ratios).

Tom
                  1993 Probe GT
                  Rio Car w/20gb

Comment

Hmm, I guess this makes sense.. I'll try grounding it and see what happens... I'm also going to hook up with a buddy who can plug his head unit into my RCAs and see if that solves it. Then I at least know it's my source and not something else..

What's Maudio?

Is the Audigy as good as the Extigy? Just asking cuz $125 is a lot more than I had hoped this would cost me and the Audigy is around $50..

Thanks for all your prompt replies!!
                    Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by sq_geek
                      Hmm, I guess this makes sense.. I'll try grounding it and see what happens... I'm also going to hook up with a buddy who can plug his head unit into my RCAs and see if that solves it. Then I at least know it's my source and not something else..

What's Maudio?

Is the Audigy as good as the Extigy? Just asking cuz $125 is a lot more than I had hoped this would cost me and the Audigy is around $50..

Thanks for all your prompt replies!!
                      Kevin
                      M-audio makes the Revolution and Sonica USB sound cards. If you look around at the reviews, you'll see they make superior products.

Tom
                      1993 Probe GT
                      Rio Car w/20gb

Comment

Originally posted by the_wombat
                        I had the same problem I'm pretty sure it was the sound card picking up noise inside the cpu, going to USB will be the fix if thats the case. As for the line driver you wont need one if you use the Extigy it seems to have a great boost in voltage over the onboard sound in my setup so it actually sounds better than any other source in my system. Plus Extigy has a ton of nice Inputs and outputs including Optical. If you go to Circuit City you could buy one and try it out, if it dosen't work you can return it.
                        just how much of a boost in voltage does it provide? im thinking about running a laptop and usb sound card for my carputer too, but i really would like NOT to lose a whole lot of sound quality...

edit: sorry for bringing back a dead thread, but HEY at least i used the search

Comment

Working...
                        X