No announcement yet.

Video Card Freezing?? What the FREAK?!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Card Freezing?? What the FREAK?!?

For whatever reason, the past week or so my computer would not boot up. I brought it in and looked at it and noticed that NOTHING was coming up. Therefore one of 3 solutions, the mobo, the ram, or the video card. I changed the video card and wallah it worked. I figured it was a bad OLD video card. I put a new one in there and it worked fine. That was yesterday. Well, this morning the same thing happened. I put the old video card back in there and wallah it worked. So I take it my video card is freezing. Note: The old video card is ISA and the new video card is PCI, so its not one specific port thats freezing. Granted my sound card may be freezing too, but I havent tested that. Hope anyone can help.

------------------
    Grand aMP3
    The Grand aMP3 Project
    Car: 96 Pontiac Grand Am
    Current Setup: AMD K62 300MHz, 64MB DIMM RAM, 20GB WD Hard Drive, Basic Video & Sound

I wouldn't call that "freezing", just a boot problem. Could ya toss some more specs of the machine up?
    Without knowing what exactly you are running, I'd say take out all the cards but the video card and try booting it a few times that way.

Comment

Well, the reason I said freezing is cause of coldness, not like locking up, sorry. But the computer is a 300mhz AMDk6-2, J-Bond Mobo, 32MB RAM, Old Video Card is Trident TVGA ISA and new one is a SiS 6326 4MB PCI. THe problem is that when I bring the comptuer in, turn it on (after letting warm a lil bit) nothing comes up, hard drive does not process, etc. I immediately switch the VGA card and turn it on and everything works as it should. Then I shut down the computer, put in the VGA that was in before and everything boots up properly again.

------------------
      Grand aMP3
      The Grand aMP3 Project
      Current Setup: AMD K62 300MHz, 64MB DIMM RAM, 20GB WD Hard Drive, Basic Video & Sound

Comment

Make sure that every driver that your machine is running is up to date, including your bios. If you still have problems, you still might want to do the bare bones thing, start the PC bare bones and slowly add more parts till you find the problem. Also make sure that bios is set to allow IRQ sharing (PnP OS feature).
        Since the HDD doesn't spin up when the video is dead, I would say that it is most likely a motherboard problem. Try updating the bios.

Comment

grandamp3:

how cold does it get where you live?? i live in Ohio and i am a bit concerned about coldness... i'm talkin those days where it's like stinkin' 2 degrees out and i try booting up... *cross your fingerz!!*

//dj

Comment

well, actually it doesnt get THAT cold. I live in arkansas and last week highs were in mid 50's and everything, the week it was happeneing, it was like in the 40's. I dont know that it was cause of coldness though, might have just been a computer glitch cause verything seems to be working fine, havent had a problem and its been colder the past few days than it was last week. Who knows, but u should be fine, I havent seen a lot of other people complaining.

------------------
            Grand aMP3
            The Grand aMP3 Project

Comment

Sounds to me like its an irq problem. I assume your are able to get to the bios picture ??

double check that your video card is not sharing the irq and if possible block the irq from the plugn play part og the system.

choose isa/legacy on the irq and you should be on your merry way

Comment

I agree on the IRQ solution.

If it is old enought to use a ISA slot, then you have to manually set the IRQ...check the docs if you have any...or just keep guessing.

------------------
                http://www.geocities.com/mr_bubba_zanetti/
                current projects

Comment

Super Freak.. Super Freak...

Anyways, this is what I would do. First run the mobo with the ram, cpu, and video card and see if your mobo boots up at all. If it doesn't, then do what TheDingo said and update the bios. If it happens to work, then add other components on one at a time until it stops working.

------------------
                  www.geocities.com/blkdragon6
                  www.geocities.com/blkdragon6

Comment

well, actuallly people, my computer is working fine now. I put that in an earlier post, guess it go overlooked. at any rate, its working fine now, havent had a problem in the past week or so and its been getting colder. Guess it was just an everyday computer glitch. Thanks for your help though.

------------------
                    Grand aMP3
                    The Grand aMP3 Project

Comment

Working...
                    X