Power Concern and Amp Connection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Concern and Amp Connection

1) How much drain on my car battery will my computer (PIII 500Mhz, DVD ROM, TV card, Radio Card, Sound Card, 60 Gig HD) and 400 Watt Amp draw? Do I need to add something to recharge the battery faster or get a better Alternator? Will I be able to run the computer if the car is off (instead of turning the ignation key forward, you turn it backwards to run just the radio)?

2) I have been reading on the threads that you can connect your sound car up to your amp directly. When I talked to audio people at Best Buy and Circuit City, they said I would be able to control the volume level going from computer to amp, but not beable to control fader and speaker level as a HU would. Is this correct or do they not know what they are talking about?

Scout

Originally posted by C Scout
    1) How much drain on my car battery will my computer (PIII 500Mhz, DVD ROM, TV card, Radio Card, Sound Card, 60 Gig HD) and 400 Watt Amp draw? Do I need to add something to recharge the battery faster or get a better Alternator? Will I be able to run the computer if the car is off (instead of turning the ignation key forward, you turn it backwards to run just the radio)?

2) I have been reading on the threads that you can connect your sound car up to your amp directly. When I talked to audio people at Best Buy and Circuit City, they said I would be able to control the volume level going from computer to amp, but not beable to control fader and speaker level as a HU would. Is this correct or do they not know what they are talking about?

Scout

1) Your alternator should be able to keep up fine, to find out how much it draws, just run an ammeter within the main 12v+ line that goes to your computer/amplifier. You can run it with the car off, but the question is for how long.

2) If you have a good sound card, you can adjust the front/rear fading, or you can just run a stereo line into an equalizer, and let the equalizer handle the fading.
    My OLD Carputer: http://www.mp3car.com/node/18137
    Currently, Don't have a carputer :( I sold my lincoln and bought a '93 Acura Vigor, plan on putting a carputer in it one of these days. You can see my vigor at: This Site

Comment

Working...
    X