Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a perfect case!

Hey all,

Started to build my newest carputer and was out shopping at Ikea with my fiance a while back and she pointed out something that might work as a case for my carputer project.

It was only $7 so I bought it and to my surprize it fit my 10000M and 90W Opus PERFECTLY!! There is absolutely not 1 spare mm around them once they are mounted, I couldn't have built a more perfect case!!

Once everything is totally mounted and finalized I will fill in any necessary grind marks etc.. and paint it nice and neat.

I have done a little more work since these pictures were taken (mounted my de-rca'ed D-Link inside as well and hooked up all the wires. I have also put 2 - 2.1mm power connectors on the panel as well in order to power my vga touch and slim dvd-rom drives.

Ohh in case you haven't figured it out, it is a metal keybox from Ikea. And the RCA connector on the top is for the car antenna (I made an adapter cable). I have already worked on that part and actually have my D-Link radio all hooked up.

Found 1 more picture....a little more updated...this one has the D-Link in it and the 2.1mm power connector (not hooked up yet tho)

OrangeWhip? OrangeWhip? 3 OrangeWhips!!
    www.whipflash.com
    Finally a new Avatar!

Can you tell me the item # and such? I want one. I hope my local ikea has it.
    - Lwin M. Maung
    If it's stuck, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Seraph
      Can you tell me the item # and such? I want one. I hope my local ikea has it.
      Sorry I have no idea about the item #. Ikea has had this item for years at our local Ikeas. I got it for $7 Canadian on sale, regular price was $14 Canadian. So I would imagine that the regular US price would be around $8 - 10.

Sorry I can't help you out too much more than that, but I'm sure if you went into Ikea and asked if they had a Grey Metal Keybox, they would probably be able to tell you if they had it or not. Or I believe it is in their cataloge as well.

Cheers!
      www.whipflash.com
      Finally a new Avatar!

Comment

Originally posted by orangewhip
        Sorry I have no idea about the item #. Ikea has had this item for years at our local Ikeas. I got it for $7 Canadian on sale, regular price was $14 Canadian. So I would imagine that the regular US price would be around $8 - 10.

Sorry I can't help you out too much more than that, but I'm sure if you went into Ikea and asked if they had a Grey Metal Keybox, they would probably be able to tell you if they had it or not. Or I believe it is in their cataloge as well.

Cheers!
        Here's the link to one on their web site:

http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/s...ts=10115*10298
        EPIA 800, DWW-7VGA LCD w/Touchscreen, 256mb ram, dvd rom, ati radeon 7000 video card, 80 gb 3.5" hard drive.

Comment

OMG!!! Ikea is gonna get a lot of orders from now on. LOL. Makes me want to build myself an epia system. HAHHAH
          What im curently listening to.
          My complete carpc setup

Comment

Hahaha

Comment

Hahaha Yeah, it is a sweet case.

I had to do a couple small mods to it to get it to work. One you can see on the last image. It's a little notch on the back so it can swing open past the atx connector on the MB. I think if the Opus was turned around the other way it would be ok, but I wanted all my connectors (minus the antenna) to be on the same side of the case.

Once it is all complete the only thing I will have to still do is fill in the "key" that is on the top so I can make it nice an clean...then paint the baby!
              www.whipflash.com
              Finally a new Avatar!

Comment

Hahaha Yeah, it is a sweet case.

I had to do a couple small mods to it to get it to work. One you can see on the last image. It's a little notch on the back so it can swing open past the atx connector on the MB. I think if the Opus was turned around the other way it would be ok, but I wanted all my connectors (minus the antenna) to be on the same side of the case.

Once it is all complete the only thing I will have to still do is fill in the "key" that is on the top so I can make it nice an clean...then paint the baby!
                What about cooling? I see no holes in your case, doesn't it overheat? I used a similar case from Maplin and had to cut a huge hole in the top to stop it from overheating.

GingerPrince

Car changed for TVR Griffith 500, so computer de-installed. Using a Dension 100ix w/60Gb HD unit in the interim.

Carputer Install - http://www.stuffandting.com/carputer/
                CarBox Software -- http://www.stuffandting.com/carbox/

Comment

Originally posted by GingerPrince
                  What about cooling? I see no holes in your case, doesn't it overheat? I used a similar case from Maplin and had to cut a huge hole in the top to stop it from overheating.

Just haven't gotten that far yet. I bought a small low profile fan that I will put in it. But really it shouldn't need to much. The Opus doesn't need too much cooling, nor does the hard drive. So I just bought a small slim fan that will go over the MB...
                  www.whipflash.com
                  Finally a new Avatar!

Comment

Just haven't gotten that far yet. I bought a small low profile fan that I will put in it. But really it shouldn't need to much. The Opus doesn't need too much cooling, nor does the hard drive. So I just bought a small slim fan that will go over the MB...
                    Yah, but with no holes where's the hot air gonna go? You'll just circulate it around inside.

I fried my first hard disk in my carputer through not having enough circulation. Granted it was a 3.5" so gave off more heat, but it got too warm to the touch. My EPIA M9000 overheated too, not to popping level, but to high enought that I stopped doing it!

GingerPrince

Car changed for TVR Griffith 500, so computer de-installed. Using a Dension 100ix w/60Gb HD unit in the interim.

Carputer Install - http://www.stuffandting.com/carputer/
                    CarBox Software -- http://www.stuffandting.com/carbox/

Comment

Nice case.

I'm gonna pick one up @ the local store this week.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by nthai
                        Nice case.

I'm gonna pick one up @ the local store this week.

Thanks
                        No Probs...

Yeah I am putting a fan in my case, just haven't gotten that far yet. Nothing has been wired up or turned on yet at all. Still more work to do...I understand it gets warm in there, especially on a nice Summer day....but I don't think I need a HUGE fan, just a nice small EFFICIENT slim fan should do the trick.
                        www.whipflash.com
                        Finally a new Avatar!

Comment

i know this topic is old, but how did you mount the motherboard and opus to the box?
                          2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Comment

Originally posted by binary.h4x
                            i know this topic is old, but how did you mount the motherboard and opus to the box?

I drilled and tapped holes and then mounted the normal brass MB stands that you would use in a "normal" case. They are all different heights, so I just found enough with the smallest height possible.
                            www.whipflash.com
                            Finally a new Avatar!

Comment

Working...
                            X