Auto power off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto power off

my system is amost done but I still can't figure out what I should do with auto power off the computer when the car is turned off.
    Where can I get the 'shutdown controller' like one from mp3ondemand.com
    Please help me.

Auto Shutdown
    http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/Maveric/ M.A.V.I.C. System
    Asus MB, PII 266, 192 MB Ram, 6.8" LCD, 6 Disk CD-ROM, 21 Gig HD, All-in-Wonder Video w/ TV Tuner, Irman, Windows ME, Winamp, Cobra III -- All in a custom acrylic case.

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/listings/ MP3car Listings - Please add to it! :)

Comment

WOW!!
      Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOO much Maveric!

Comment

NP! Glad to help!
        http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/Maveric/ M.A.V.I.C. System
        Asus MB, PII 266, 192 MB Ram, 6.8" LCD, 6 Disk CD-ROM, 21 Gig HD, All-in-Wonder Video w/ TV Tuner, Irman, Windows ME, Winamp, Cobra III -- All in a custom acrylic case.

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/listings/ MP3car Listings - Please add to it! :)

Comment

Hey, I was wondering if it really mattered about the power off thing, at least under Win98SE?
          I have a 400mhz Celeron running off a 140w inverter hooked to a switched power supply, and when I turn off the car, the puter goes with it. I've disabled ScanDisk, so it just boots up fine. In the case where the machine is just a Windows shell running Winamp, does it really make any difference to shut it down gracefully? Just wondering...

Comment

Based on my personal experience with Windows, you should be fine 99% of the time, and totally screwed when your 1% comes around...

Also, it's nice to have a delayed power-off, like 10-15 minutes after you've stopped the car. Gives you time to fill up the tank, or dash into a store, etc.
            Custom Linux system on an '89 VW GTI 16V Edition One
            Jogdial volume control, Sony joystick, IR remote...
            Used to be the fastest Linux on the road, until all these NOS types came along...

Comment

All you need to do is buy a relay switch from radio shack. In my setup when the radio comes on the computer comes on.

Comment

Yes, it is VERY!! important to properly shutdown the computer. It might be ok to force shut off computer few times. But if you keep doing that it will cause several problems. such as :

1. The opened programs might lose its settings and files.
                2. Windows system files will get corrupted(it will fix by scandisk, but if the computer keeps improperly shutdown, the files can not be fixed. you have to reinstall windows)
                3. the most importantly, if the hard drive keeps shut down improperly, it will have FAT files(the hard drive tracks will be corrupted) and the hard drive can not read files. If you have too many FAT files , the computer will not recognize the hard drive, if this thing happens, you are screwed
                Only low level format will fix this problem but if you have too many FAT files, you just have to throw the hard drive. The hard drive is just like a record player , the reading sensor will stop when power got shut off, when the power is back on, it will scratch the disc to move back to staring point.
                Even if you are using DOS , you need to shut down the hard drive properly . Old DOS program used to have shutdown.exe file but I am not sure about windows' DOS.

These are why it's important to shut down properly.

Comment

Traxxis: Don't worry about it. I've done it more than two or three times a day for almost a year now. If you're using winamp as the shell and only reading from the hard drive, you can't corrupt anything. Things get corrupted when you're writing to the hard drive and it get's shut off.

However, accord is right that winamp will not store settings if the power is just cut. I set mine the way I liked it, then closed winamp normally. Now winamp always boots up the way I like it, and none of the settings get changed
                  www.arbybean.com

Comment

Originally posted by accord:
                    <STRONG>3. the most importantly, if the hard drive keeps shut down improperly, it will have FAT files(the hard drive tracks will be corrupted) and the hard drive can not read files. If you have too many FAT files , the computer will not recognize the hard drive, if this thing happens, you are screwed
                    Only low level format will fix this problem but if you have too many FAT files, you just have to throw the hard drive. The hard drive is just like a record player , the reading sensor will stop when power got shut off, when the power is back on, it will scratch the disc to move back to staring point.
                    Even if you are using DOS , you need to shut down the hard drive properly . Old DOS program used to have shutdown.exe file but I am not sure about windows' DOS.
                    </STRONG>
                    I guess I should tell you this:

FAT = File Allocation Table.

Having a FAT is good. If you don't have one, then you're hard drive won't work, not the other way around. The hard drive uses the FAT to record where files are on the hard drive. If your FAT is corrupted, then your computer can't find the files on the hard drive.

And that scratching the drive thing when it gets power back isn't true
                    www.arbybean.com

Comment

Originally posted by accord:
                      <STRONG>Yes, it is VERY!! important to properly shutdown the computer. It might be ok to force shut off computer few times. But if you keep doing that it will cause several problems. such as :

1. The opened programs might lose its settings and files.
                      2. Windows system files will get corrupted(it will fix by scandisk, but if the computer keeps improperly shutdown, the files can not be fixed. you have to reinstall windows)
                      3. the most importantly, if the hard drive keeps shut down improperly, it will have FAT files(the hard drive tracks will be corrupted) and the hard drive can not read files. If you have too many FAT files , the computer will not recognize the hard drive, if this thing happens, you are screwed

These are why it's important to shut down properly.
                      </STRONG>
                      Very little of this makes sense.

True, some programs may lose their settings. However, the FAT is the File Allocation Table, and all DOS and Windows (except NT) systems to keep track of files and their location on the disk.

As for scratching the disk by turning it off improperly, these days it not a problem. All drives made in the last 15 or 16 years have been auto parking. Older drives (ie. 20MB MFM drives) needed to be parked via a software utility, but new drives do not have this requirement.
                      Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                      Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                      "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Accord: You are so full of crap its coming out your ears and onto the floor.
                        There is nothing you can do to a HD that can't be fixed with a High-level format, besides dropping it on the floor. You can't even do a Lowlevel format on a drive, it had to be done once, and at the factory.
                        There is no problem with turning Dos off without shuting down, I didn't even know there was a special way to turn it off, and I have been using it for years.
                        Clarion 200watt head unit w/ Aux in.
                        Kicker 800watt 4 channel amp
                        In a 96 Grand Prix SE.

Comment

I tend to disagree lstrunk, I've found a few bad sectors on my hard drives after improperly shutting down, and those could not be fixed with a format. I then had 150 mb of unusable space on my HD.
                          Got started with computers on this board early in high school...now I run a web development company and am about to build my dream machine.

Comment

Datman: That was most likely not caused by an improper shutdown, it was probably an error in you disk that was caused at the factory, and then decided to show up when you did a scan-disk after an improper shutdown.
                            Have you tried reformatting?
                            IF that still doesn't work, send it back to the manufacturer if its still under warranty.
                            Clarion 200watt head unit w/ Aux in.
                            Kicker 800watt 4 channel amp
                            In a 96 Grand Prix SE.

Comment

Man! Guys, let me clear this for you.
                              First of all. I'm NOT full of crap!
                              I've been a programmer since DR-DOS days(before MS-DOS came out).
                              And yes just like someone says FAT is not a file it's File Allocation Table, it's just when the FAT got corrupted, we used to call it you got FAT Files. )
                              And old hard drive need to be parked before it shuts down. And I heard that (not exactly sure) new HD has been improved but I don't know how it exactly got improved (I'm not a computer engineer, if there is a computer engineer , please explain this).
                              But ONE THING IS FOR SURE, when the power get shut off while HD is being read or written, YOUR (new or old) HD FAT WILL BE CORRPUTED! you might not notice it right away but it will cause other problems!
                              and Windows constantly read and write files on your HD (Even when you are doing nothing, it's b/c there are background running programs and also windows system files.)
                              SO when you just shut off the power, chances are you are shutting down the power while HD is read or written!!

and for 'lstrunk' if you don't know anything ,just shut up ok?!
                              let be technical here, technically windows format is NOT A FORMAT, it's amost like just deletting files, This CAN BE recover , actally there are programs out there that recover formatted Hard drive or disk! Old Dos had unformat.exe and undelete.exe files. look for internet for these files.
                              And there is DOS format which you CAN NOT recover , b/c it's totally erase all files from your HD or DISK. but not back to factory setting.
                              and with low-level format you can make HD back to factory setting. a lot of now days bios have low level format program, or this disk with when you buy new HD, it has low-level format. Old dos used to have low-level format program too, but I'n not sure about windows dos. windows still run base on dos but they don't have all old dos progrmas. but I think they still have low-level format programs, I think I used once before (I'll find out and tell you later.) and you can always get it from internet

and 'lstrunk' if you are so sure you can not low-level format your HD, why don't you try it? huh? You will have fun reinstall all programs.

and for those who force shut off the computer several times in a day, try to run norton disk doctor(you can download this for trial) You can see how many bad sector you have in your HD (I'm not saying these are all cause by improper shutdown , there are a lot of problems cause this, program crash, virus, etc, but one of the major cause is by improper shutdown!!!)
                              and then try to format your hard drive and rerun the NDD (norton disk doctor), in first site, it looks like you don't have any bad sectors but as ndd check your HD , you will know that the bad sectors are still there.
                              try this "lstrunk' if you are so sure that windows format WILL FIX ALL the problems.
                              (by the way NDD reloacte the files from bad sector to good sectors, so run this program often)
                              if you have too many bad sector(FAT), it will cause a lot of problems such as speed reduce, crash, sometimes it will give error message when you try to open files, and major problem will be the computer will not recognize the hard driver.

I'm telling you these base on my personal experience, I threw a lot of HDs b/c of bad sectors. in matter factor this is number one reason of damage Hard drives.

I'm sorry for lonf message but it makes me mad when the people like 'lstrunk' say like they know so much when they know NOTHING.

Comment

Working...
                              X