wireless internet on the go...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wireless internet on the go...

does anybody have any thoughts on getting wireless internet on the go on a car-puter. What is available out there? Whats the best/fastest solution to getting internet while on the go, (not just parked in your garage or driving slowly near a unsecure wireless network). Thanks for your help!

cell phone
    wide spectrum wifi
    ap hunting

i know there are some services meant just for wireless internet, do some research, theyll probably be available in your area
    quite expensive though

not worth it imo but if you go the money, what the hell
    2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

I use my nokia 3650 to get online via bluetooth. it gets dialup speeds. I can also hop onto any open 802.11 b/g networks as my lifebook has built in 802.11g
      A digital mind lost in an analog world.

Learn to ask smart questions!
      http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

My car PC: The Lost Cause!

Comment

I can connect via my Motorola v60 .... there is a usb cable you can buy for it ... your cpu will see it as a modem but speeds are slow 14 - 28 kbps
        i have T-mobile and they offer a mobile GPRS internet add on @ $20 month i was thinking of checking out : speeds up to 128 kbps they also have a new HotSpot gig goin on T1 speeds wireless at certain locations.
        "T-Mobile HotSpot service uses standards based "Wi-Fi" (802.11b) technology and is easily accessible for Starbucks customers with a wireless-ready notebook computer or Pocket PC. Backed by T-1 connections in popular venues in the U.S., T-Mobile HotSpot service is reliable and fast enough to accommodate the full spectrum of applications from checking e-mail to multi-media video conferencing with a high-speed wireless connection as much as 40 - 50 times faster than standard dial-up Internet access.

Has anyone tried these services?

Comment

Currently, cell phone is your best solution. Forget about the hot spot or starbucks. Sure those are broadband connection but are you gonna park there? Are you gonna be "damn I need to get on the internet. Where the hell is Starbucks at?" I think not. For truely on the go (I-15 on the way to Las Vegas) Try sprint Vision or T-mobile. Sprint will get you closer to the 144kbps speed than any other services that claims 144bkps.
          NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
          If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

I use t-mobile with my T-68I via bluetooth,
            I have also used it with my V-60 over USB.

I get close the 56k usually. I never saw anything near 128.... when did they tell you that ?
            Gizmo-
            Techonlogy on Wheels
            http://www.hjnetworks.com/car

Comment

Originally posted by robert42
              (not just parked in your garage or driving slowly near a unsecure wireless network). Thanks for your help!
              Originally posted by aoLhaTer
              ap hunting
              connecting to a network you don't have access to is illegal and has moral issues surrounding it, don't promote that here

1997 Jeep Wrangler Rugged Waves

Ebay Stuff For Sale

Comment

Originally posted by freestyler
                connecting to a network you don't have access to is illegal and has moral issues surrounding it, don't promote that here
                I'm using VZW Express network with Airprime Pcmcia Card also got
                got Orinoco Card and Orinoco access point with 8db Omni antenna in the House connecting to an open wireless networking is not Illegal Hacking to a secured wireless is Illegal. Check your location for free Wireless at http://www.nycwireless.net/

Comment

just cause its open doesn't make it illegal. yes nyc wiresless is legal but lots of people leave their AP "open" with no wep installed and a lot of companies also and getting on that network is illegal. There is a differnce between open and public wireless i'd say
                  '98 Explorer Sport
                  http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
                  AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
                  80% done

Comment

Originally posted by jeseyboy3
                    I'm using VZW Express network with Airprime Pcmcia Card also got
                    got Orinoco Card and Orinoco access point with 8db Omni antenna in the House connecting to an open wireless networking is not Illegal Hacking to a secured wireless is Illegal. Check your location for free Wireless at http://www.nycwireless.net/

If you do not have explicit permission by the network administrators you are doing an unauthorized network access which is illegal in all 50 states. nycwireless is free yes, but Joe Shmoe's access point down the street from you is NOT free for your use unless you know Joe Shmoe and he gave you permission.

Ebay Stuff For Sale

Comment

<---- Waiting for Ricochet to start back up again.. 768Kbps WDSL!!

Comment

Originally posted by gizmomkr
                        I use t-mobile with my T-68I via bluetooth,
                        I have also used it with my V-60 over USB.

I get close the 56k usually. I never saw anything near 128.... when did they tell you that ?
                        I've seen your speed test result before. I dont know if you've seen this yet but I'll post again since the original pics were deleted.

download.jpg is Sprint Vision when my truck wasnt moving (Parked). It's sustained download speed is 16.5KB/S or about 132kbps most of the time. It bursts up to 19.3KB/S or near 155kbps.

und.jpg is Sprint Vision when my truck traveling at 80MPH. www.dslreports.com shows average connection at around 85-95kbps down and 105-110kbps upload. It occasionally hit the maximum sustained speed but most of time is somewhere in between.
                        Attached Files
                        NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
                        If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by sq_geek
                          <---- Waiting for Ricochet to start back up again.. 768Kbps WDSL!!
                          i remember ricochet, that was a nice service while it lasted, a little on the spendy side tho

i haven't been following it much anymore

Ebay Stuff For Sale

Comment

Perhaps it should be noted that it's not the best idea to be surfing the net while driving 60mph.
                            A digital mind lost in an analog world.

Learn to ask smart questions!
                            http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

My car PC: The Lost Cause!

Comment

actually in NH its perfectly legal to wardrive As long as there is no WEP on the AP you can login and use their network. I gotta move there.
                              '98 Explorer Sport
                              http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
                              AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
                              80% done

Comment

Working...
                              X