Sound

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound

just want to know how would the sound be if i would connect my sound blaster audigy straight to my amps will that sound better than going through a head unit and will it sound loud

Thanks
    Masterlp

The sub output of the Audigy wont be enough output to connect it directly to the amps. The other two will be just fine. Thats how I run my system.

For sub input I just jumped from one amp to the other.

You can ask Defiler if my system is loud of not. LOL
    What im curently listening to.
    My complete carpc setup

Comment

Oh it's plenty loud.

You may want to run the lines thru a signal booster first to up the Voltage. This what I will do when I switch to a head-unitless setup.
      Aura MR62 (F and R)
      My Current MP3s
      IamDefiler.com

Comment

Thanks osirisdon and defiler for the reply can you recommend a signal booster for im trying to go a bit pro like pioneer alpine or others thanks

that loud is it defiler

Thanks
        Masterlp

Comment

I believe the only the new Audigy 2 has the low sub out problem. It has been discussed on google groups and seems to be a common problem. Hopefully driver updates in the future will fix it. The original audigy should be unaffected.

I've found that on the Audigy 2, the low sub out can be corrected using the parametric eq settings in EAX console to increase the low gain. You can use the Drum and Bass eq settings or create your own for upto 18db boost. I also use the bass redirect and set the crossover frequency under speaker settings to 75hz. Remember to use only the right red wire and use a y-split into the amp. Otherwise, you'll be sending the center channel with highs to the sub amplifier.

You shouldn't need a signal booster. If neccessary, adjust the gain on your amp. It works fine for me at factory settings. It gets loud enough to set off my neighbors car alarm

You might want to invest in some high quality thick rca to mini cables like monster brand. They help keep out power wire noise and sound much better than the cheap ones from radio shack.
          -TJ
          Smart Playlists Plugin for RoadRunner
          CarPC - 05 Acura TL Navi (pics soon)
          Retired CarPC - 03 Infiniti Qx4

Comment

Originally posted by tejesh83
            You shouldn't need a signal booster. If neccessary, adjust the gain on your amp. It works fine for me at factory settings. It gets loud enough to set off my neighbors car alarm
            Exactly it works fine for you, what works good for you may NOT apply to everyone else. keep that in mind.

The line drivers what they do is increase the voltage input into any amp. Now that said You will get much more bandwidth response. All the frequencies will be amplified to the fullest potential that an amp can put out.

If you are thinking of going PRO, like I am. Seriously think about one. Specially for amps that can handle 8vDC inputs. Now thats some serious input handling.
            My complete carpc setup

Comment

Originally posted by osirisdon
              If you are thinking of going PRO, like I am. Seriously think about one. Specially for amps that can handle 8vDC inputs. Now thats some serious input handling.
              No offense, but you're going pro with Rockford Fosgate and Infinity Reference?

Or do you mean "pro" in some other context.. ??

Just to reiterate, as osirisdon said, it will help plenty. More than you can imagine. At the same time, if you really want some good sound quality, put the money into an EQ with an integrated line driver. The Audiocontrol EQL, EQS, EQX, and EQT series all will do the job. Far superior to that of Alpine or Pioneer, and not too pricey. It's what all the pros use, and you'll see a lot more Audiocontrol than Pioneer in any local car audio competition, especially the likes of IASCA..

Kevin

Comment

Defiler's post makes it seem as if by switching from aux in to direct amp, you would require a voltage boost. I merely wanted to emphasize that it's not required and will work without one. The gain setting on most amps allow you to fine tune to the voltage input anyways.

By using a signal booster, you can keep you amp at its minimum gain setting reducing hiss and unwanted distortion from amp internals. Also because the cables have a stronger signal running through them, you are less likely to be bothered by induced noise from power cables. I'm not so sure about the bandwidth response claim.

Line drivers are like farad caps in the car audio world. Some think they're absolutely amazing and a requirement for the best quality sound, other's think they're a bandaid for poor system design, and still others think they are a mere marketing gimmick. I beleive they do have their place in certain application.

Search google groups for other people's opinions.

Its your ears and your money. Try it for yourself. If you can tell a difference and think it worth the money, go for it.
                -TJ
                Smart Playlists Plugin for RoadRunner
                CarPC - 05 Acura TL Navi (pics soon)
                Retired CarPC - 03 Infiniti Qx4

Comment

Originally posted by tejesh83
                  Defiler's post makes it seem as if by switching from aux in to direct amp, you would require a voltage boost. I merely wanted to emphasize that it's not required and will work without one. The gain setting on most amps allow you to fine tune to the voltage input anyways.

By using a signal booster, you can keep you amp at its minimum gain setting reducing hiss and unwanted distortion from amp internals. Also because the cables have a stronger signal running through them, you are less likely to be bothered by induced noise from power cables. I'm not so sure about the bandwidth response claim.

Line drivers are like farad caps in the car audio world. Some think they're absolutely amazing and a requirement for the best quality sound, other's think they're a bandaid for poor system design, and still others think they are a mere marketing gimmick. I beleive they do have their place in certain application.

Search google groups for other people's opinions.

Its your ears and your money. Try it for yourself. If you can tell a difference and think it worth the money, go for it.

Thank you for giving the extended version to my answer. I guess it did sound like it was "required" to have a line driver. True it is not required...BUT it will sound a hella lot better.
                  Aura MR62 (F and R)
                  My Current MP3s
                  IamDefiler.com

Comment

Originally posted by sq_geek
                    No offense, but you're going pro with Rockford Fosgate and Infinity Reference?

Or do you mean "pro" in some other context..
                    That is an offense!!!!! I would NEVER go PRO with my current setup. I am in the process of saving up on money to do a complete overhaul.

Come on NOW!! You seriously thought I would go pro with my setup as of right now?
                    My complete carpc setup

Comment

Hi all, new to the forum. Had to post to this thread, though. I'm really interested in doing this in-car PC thing, and am currently building a IASCA competition Sound Quality (SQ) system in it. My signal is this: Head unit (or CarPC) to my Rockford Fosgate EPX2 (with 28 band EQ card), which has a 10v signal output being fed to my four Rockford Fosgate amplifiers (70wrms x 2), one for tweets, one for mids, one for midbass, one for Sub. Since the signal from the Epx2 is good, do you think I will need a Line driver from the output of the motherboard to the Epx2? I hope it dosen't pick up radiated noise, the inject 10v of it into the input of my amps. -thanks

WORKLOG

Asus P5N73-AN Mobo/Celeron E1400 2Ghz Dual Core CPU/2Gb GEIL PC3200/120GB HDD/DSATX PS/8" Phylon TS
                      Webpage

Comment

Haha, well you never know.. I'm GLAD and RELIEVED to hear it though..

What are you planning on running?

I'm running CDT and Avionixx and eventually I'll throw an ED sub or two into the mix.. AudioControl EQ and my CarPuter probably with an M-Audio Revolution 7.1..

I doubt I'll compete, probably not good enough, plus my tweets are in my A-pillars about 2.5' from my mids, this means my imaging won't be the best.. :-(

I hang out with some competition (SQ) winners though, on caraudioforum.com

Comment

Well im thinking of going %100 JL. It cost a lot of money, but maybe sometime next yr I will start buidling the system.

And to reply to Snootch: You wont need any line driver reason being is that your EQ puts out enough juice. You are connecting the CarPC to your EQ right? If so you will be set.
                          My complete carpc setup

Comment

I was hoping that there wasn't going to be a whole lot of noise inducted into the signal path before it gets to the Epx2. SQ geek.. Here's a layout I did of my system...

Tweets and mids are going in the kicks, midbass in the doors, and the Ed sub (actually a 12O, not a 12K) in the hatch. All I need is the PC, and I was just wondering about what the sound quality would be Vs. the CD player when playing cd's.
                            WORKLOG

Asus P5N73-AN Mobo/Celeron E1400 2Ghz Dual Core CPU/2Gb GEIL PC3200/120GB HDD/DSATX PS/8" Phylon TS
                            Webpage

Comment

The SQ will be alright, as long as you have a strong sound card and a good signal processor (which you do have there).

Here's mine:

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X