car battery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car battery

I am pretty new into my project and am still in planning process.... I already have a pretty half way decent car audio system and have an optima red top battery.

I was wondering if you guys have upgraded your batteries or have stayed stock. Is upgrading your battery a must for a carputer?

With my current system.....
    2 comp sets powered @ 250x2
    4 10' subs powered @ 125x4
    sirius satelite/tuner
    adding some type of cap in VERY near future...

will my optima redtop be suficient for adding a carputer?

yep
    What im curently listening to.
    My complete carpc setup

Comment

stock
      -TJ
      Smart Playlists Plugin for RoadRunner
      CarPC - 05 Acura TL Navi (pics soon)
      Retired CarPC - 03 Infiniti Qx4

Comment

stock batteries work perfectly fine for carputers?

even if you have gps, odb-II, etc ....

Comment

Originally posted by osirisdon
          yep
          Originally posted by tejesh83
          stock
          What im curently listening to.
          My complete carpc setup

Comment

Yes, your Stock battery will be perfectly fine for you carputer, when the car is running the system is working off of your alternator anyway, While sitting with the engine off it will run down your battery after a while, depending on how new and how good your battery is. My stock motorcraft mustang battery will let me run my computer for about an hour before losing enough power to crank the car back up. If you do kill your battery, you'll just have to recharge it or jump it off, it's a proven fact that killing the battery and jumping it off too much shortens the life of the battery, computer of not, but that's common knowledge, I reccomend you carry a jump box around with you (a self contained battery and jumper cable) you can pick one up from an auto parts store or Wal-Mart for around $50 or less, this way you'll have the security of knowing if you do kill the battery, you can quickly get your car going again

PS I recommend cranking up your car every 15 minutes or so to keep the battery charged until you know just how long it can last.

Comment

I think people describing the problems with letting the computer run too long is exactly why you should upgrade. I am looking at the Optima Yellow top so that I can let it run down without damaging it. This isn't often but sometimes I am installing something in the car and when it comes to setting up the software I don't want to have the car running while I troubleshoot issues. Most of my setup is in the car and can take awhile.

The stock battery is fine if you only want to power your computer while the car is running. if you want some extra time for playing around then look at a deep cycle battery.

Comment

Sleeka:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...light=how+long

An Opus 150W can run for many hours before draining your battery and should shut off automatically leaving enough power to start the car. There's even a jumper to delay shutdown upto 1hr after turning off you car (auto sync mp3s unattended or whatever when you pull into your garage).

Hijinks even gets ~90min of play time with a 300W inverter. I think some inverters also come with low voltage shutoff circuits. If not, you can use an inline device that does the same thing and leaves enough power to start your car.
                -TJ
                Smart Playlists Plugin for RoadRunner
                CarPC - 05 Acura TL Navi (pics soon)
                Retired CarPC - 03 Infiniti Qx4

Comment

your carputer with an opus will only draw 15 amps at most , so thats like nothing. Hell a few things in your car draw more then that. I also put a relay with my opus so that its completely shut off with the ignition. So far I've been doing this for 5 months with no problems.
                  Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

i've got an optima yellow top since i do show my car and leave the system and computer running for a couple hours on end w/out starting the car... works quite well
                    Car: 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S
                    Mods: Yep
                    Carputer: VIA M9000 | Opus 150 | 512MB PC2100 | 60GB Notebook HD | Slim/Slot DVD/CDRW | Audigy2NX | Xenarc 700TSV | (2) DSCustoms DS700HRS (in trunk) | SMC USB 802.11b | CoPilot | DLink FM tuner | Cliffnet

Comment

Optima yellow top is a nice battery that you can run all the way down without a problem, though its total capacity is not as large as some. It will keep a good voltage through to the end, too, which is nice, and what the battery is made for. If you do plan on running any kind of stereo or computer equipment in your car for periods of time you can definately invest in a battery like this.

You can also go with attaching an intelligent charger to your battery that has enough amps to power your stuff.. That way you can plug your car in and power any of the electrical stuff all day long without worrying about your battery.. It's basically like having your alternator running except without the alternator running
                      MY CAR IS FOR SALE!
                      See My Project Page for Details - 2003 BMW E46 ///M3
                      Custom Dash Monitor Housing - OEM Fitment
                      Custom Overhead DVD-ROM Housing in Headliner
                      BMW I-Bus Integration
                      My homepage with many other fun projects!

Comment

I keep seeing the Optima's recommended more and more. Maybe their SpiralCells really are better

I have a van and travel a bit so I've been planning on adding a few extra batteries or large single (like a Rolls 'Big Red' - 275Ahr, 558min) for extended periods without charging.

Comment

ya optima ...

don't mean to make you boys cry but just thought'd i'd let you know my red top cost me a whole $60 new. And if i wanted a yellow it was a meere $70 ...

sure is nice working for the company that owns optima (i'm limited to 2 a year so don't start with the group buy)

slurpee ... if you have a redtop why are you concerned about 'upgrading your stock' batter for a carputer?
                          My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

i think i have a duralast battery in the truck... runs all my stuff just fine. I've left the headlights on for 3+ hours (Twice) and it still cranked just fine.

regardless... i plan on adding a second battery once i find another battery tray +mounting stuff

Comment

1st off you guys need to quit worrying about carPC draining your battery and worry more about your audio system with 2 amplifiers drainning your battery. Opus uses less power than your parking lights. Im sure some of you have left your pklts on for hours and still able to start your car.
                              The longest period of time my CarPC ran and still able to start my truck was 5 hours.
                              The longest peroid of my my whole system ran and still able to start my truck was 70 minutes.
                              2nd, Unless you can get yellow top Optimas for less than $75, dont waste your money on it. They're junk and dont last more than 3 years. I've had total of 6 Optimas reds and yellows over the years and ALL 6 didnt last more than 3 years. I finally stop wasting $100+ on junk batteries and got a drycell battery instead.
                              http://www.odysseybatteries.com/auto.htm PC1200MJT
                              Even though it cost me $195 3 years ago it's worth the money b/c it's about half the size of my stock battery and it out lasted all of my previous Optimas. I've deep cycled it many many many times.
                              NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
                              If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

Working...
                              X