whats a good USB sound card?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats a good USB sound card?

I have a sony vaio PCG-Z505 and the sound from the build in card isnt that great. it lacks 'depth', thats the best way I can describe it, like some frequencys arent being reproduced. anyone know of a decent sounding and preferably cheap usb sound card? I know there is a sound blaster one, but it is rather pricey. any suggestions?

The M-Audio Sonica is a great small footprint USB sound device. Extigy is a great large footprint USB Sound device.
    Aura MR62 (F and R)
    My Current MP3s
    IamDefiler.com

Comment

Originally posted by Defiler
      The M-Audio Sonica is a great small footprint USB sound device. Extigy is a great large footprint USB Sound device.
      does the M-Audio Sonica really sound good? Id rather get that, its like $50 vs $75 for the extigy, which has more features than I need. as long as the sound output is better than the onboard sound ill be happy.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3701

im looking at that one, it seems like the cheapest one. there are others that are like $100+ from sonica, will this model sound good?

Comment

Looks good, the only way to really find out is to try it out.

I did read the numbers and they look fine. Give it a shot. Then post a review on it so others can benefit.
          What im curently listening to.
          My complete carpc setup

Comment

I'll sell you mine for $45 shipped...

And yes it makes a huge difference.

Here is a review of the xitel and the Sonica...
            http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...,648329,00.asp
            Aura MR62 (F and R)
            My Current MP3s
            IamDefiler.com

Comment

Just purchase one of these over at best buy and it sounds much better now! they only annoying thing, really annoying, is that its supposed to only need usb power to work. apparently my laptops usb ports arent up to the challenge and it didnt work unless I plugged it into a powered usb hub. I had to splice into a 5V regulator I had on my car for gps, which meant I had to get a heatsink for it and now it runs really hot. at least it sounds better =) it even has optical in and out, as well as extra line in and out. its only 16 bit, but the audio source is only 16 bit so that should'nt matter, correct?
              the equalizer works good, and it even has all thoes useless eax 'environment' settings.

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaFox
                Just purchase one of these over at best buy and it sounds much better now! they only annoying thing, really annoying, is that its supposed to only need usb power to work.
                Yeah just buy one of those with the really annoying power issue...

JK...If you like it, great. More power to ya.
                Aura MR62 (F and R)
                My Current MP3s
                IamDefiler.com

Comment

well... I was at bestbuy when you posted that. otherwise I would have got yours. its more of an issue with my laptop, it wold have done that with any device that requires 500mA I think.

Comment

I'll sell you mine for $45 shipped...

And yes it makes a huge difference.

Here is a review of the xitel and the Sonica...
                    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...,648329,00.asp
                    Defiler,
                    Very informative link, turns out I have a Xitel sitting around...it came with my mini-disc player. Now if you excuse me I'll head down to the garage and try it out....
                    My Celica Carputer Install

Comment

I second that... I'm currently using the sonica wired directly to my amp, and it sounds very good indeed.
                      My Setup

Comment

Where can i buy one of those m-audio sonica in Australia

Thanks
                        Masterlp

Comment

Whatever you do, stay away from xitel. I've got one that came with my minidisc player and it has been really flakey. The sound quality seems about average.
                          Got started with computers on this board early in high school...now I run a web development company and am about to build my dream machine.

Comment

Originally posted by EBJUSTIN
                            Defiler,
                            Very informative link, turns out I have a Xitel sitting around...it came with my mini-disc player. Now if you excuse me I'll head down to the garage and try it out....

hey ive got one of these too. Finally a use for that damn mini-disk player. Didnt even realise, hey i already have a usb sound card till i looked at the link. I was just about to start looking into buying one myself too.
                            01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
                            01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

beer replenishment fund
                            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
                            mp3car live search

i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

Comment

Working...
                            X