Fast boot with STR!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast boot with STR!!!

The motherboard (Supermicro 370SWT)I just bought specificaly for my CarPC project has a very interesting feature I wasn't aware of (and I did not try it myself yet) . It is called STR (suspend to RAM) and the machine is supposed to have very short boot time (=<5sec). What it does is that the computer shuts down almost completely (even the PSU fan stops)- except of the power supply to RAM (drawing just a few mAmps of current I guess!). The boot lasts as long as it takes for the HDs to spin up and a CRT (LCDs are faster ) monitor to turn on!

Dimitris76

correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't suspend to ram basically "sleep"?

------------------
    www.geocities.com/blkdragon6
    www.geocities.com/blkdragon6

Comment

To be honest I don't know if it is the same and the first time I have heard about this STR feature was in the new motherboard's user's manual. It says that it is a feature of BIOS, something that the motherboard in my desktop at home doesn't have (Abit BH6). When I put that desktop into sleep the PSU fan, various LED lights, etc are still on.

Dimitris

Comment

STR is great as long as you have a power source... Might not be a good answer for a car though, unless you have an alway-on connection. Maybe dc-dc not wired through the ignition system would work. If you're using an inverter you are still drawing from the battery regardless of what state the pc is in.

[my two cents of pure speculation]

-kate

Comment

Well, maybe with a DC-DC this could be practical... but I would still fear for my battery if I didn't drive the car all weekend.

-M
          Public PGP key available on http://keyserver.pgp.com/pks/lookup?...@MyRealBox.com

Comment

I am going to use an ATX DC-DC power supply. The PSUs that meet ATX 2.01 specification should be able to supply up to 1Amps @+5V as standby power to motherboard. Since, the current draw at the PSU's input depends on it's efficiency and the motherboard's power consumption during that state, the only way to tell is to measure it. I'll post as soon as I do it for anybody interested

[This message has been edited by Dimitris76 (edited 12-05-2000).]

Comment

Is this a DIY ATX DC-DC, or did you find a commercial source?

ATX DC-DC with any significant amps has always been a myth I thought.

-M
              Public PGP key available on http://keyserver.pgp.com/pks/lookup?...@MyRealBox.com

Comment

It is the ATX DC-DC, 250W commercial power supply unit SPS-DX250H

Comment

Who is the manufacturer and where did you purchase this power supply?
                  A carputer?!? What in the hell is that?

Comment

The manufacturer is: www.sps-house.com
                    Bought from: www.fsi-computer.com

D

Comment

Originally posted by CapnMatt:
                      Well, maybe with a DC-DC this could be practical... but I would still fear for my battery if I didn't drive the car all weekend.

-M
                      To eliminate that worry, I am buying a remote start car alarm that starts the car when it detects that the battery is dangerously low. It charges for ten minutes, and then the car shuts down again. (It's also got lots of other bells and whistles)
                      It's only $130 US, which is so much better than the Viper 550HF alarm system I used to have (the 550 stands for the MSRP).

Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
                      Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
                      I'M DEBT FREE!!
                      I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

The amount of current needed to keep a couple of RAM chips running is hardly anything. Think about it: that's what your head unit is doing already (though with smaller chips). You could probably leave a computer like that for weeks.

------------------

Comment

I found out I can get the same PS from http://www.keypower.com for $164. I think I'll get one when I have the money.

Comment

Thanks Dimitris76. I just found it in the US also at www.keypower.com.

Edit: They are out of stock and don't know when SPS-House will ship more.

Whoops: Chris beat me to it.
                            I also found an 160w ATX unit at www.sunpower.com.tw. They also have an US rep in California.

Edit: Same thing here. Taiwan not willing to ship to non-businesses in the US. US rep out of stock with no idea when they will be back in. Plus this item goes for $190

I think I will order one tomorrow. I am planning a [H]ard system for the new truck:
                            I am planning on ordering the NEO35 for daily MP3's.
                            I also want a computer for DVD and playing games: Soyo SY-7VCM Micro ATX P3 Mobo with built in sound. I'm going to throw in a PCI GeForce2 MX, a 3com wireless PCI 10mb NIC (both on right angle adapters to keep the height around 2 inches) and a P3 650 with 128mb RAM. I intend to use either a 10.4 or a 9.6 inch LCD(don't have yet), 8xDVD and a CD-RW. I will be using a laptop hard drive to avoid the common bump induced failures. I am running the system on AC right now and am able to play Quake3 at 800x600 at 105fps with the system overclocked to 910 (140fsb). I can run at 110fsb with only a small heatsink and fan. so this system will run very cool.
                            If you have any suggestions, please email me: "benjamin22_97 at yahoo dot com" (thanks Kate for the no spam idea) I just got a digital camera, so when it comes time for the install around X-Mas, I'll post the pics.

[This message has been edited by scoobydoo22 (edited 12-08-2000).]
                            A carputer?!? What in the hell is that?

Comment

more on suspend to ram

I did some more searching on the suspend to ram feature for various motherboards and that has the on board video and audio. I really want that STR feature as it will be handy for quick mp3 access. I am going to use Winamp in Windows 98 with the Geiss screensaver.

The Lucky Star 6VMPLE2 motherboard has everything I need, is a small form factor, and is only $47!

http://search.shopping.yahoo.com/sea...&rkeys=&clink=

Next on my list: ram, cpu, hd, power source, custom box, lcd screen

Comment

Working...
                              X