AM/FM USB Tuner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AM/FM USB Tuner

I know this topic has been covered exhaustively in the forums since I have read just about everything here regarding radio tuners for a PC. We all know that there are PCI TV/FM tuners, but nobody seems to be able to find one with AM. The only product that I have found in all of my searching is the Griffin RadioShark.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/radioshark/

The catch? They say it only runs on MacOS X. Has anyone heard anything about this device. Any chance of running it under Linux? Windows?

It seems there is a market out there (albeit small) for an AM/FM tuner for the PC. Why aren't they out there?!

It says it's usb, isn't that just a matter of writing drivers and software? I never thought I'd see a product for mac that didn't exist for PC's Maybe someone should email the company.

Comment

Yea, I also am looking for a am/fm tuner. It's either find one, or use a small radio which would connect to the sound card input.
      -AL
      * 2000 Ford Expedition
      * EPIA M10000/512 meg RAM, Win XP PRO, 90w OPUS, 80 gig HD
      * TM-710VGT LCD, Wireless mouse, keyboard
      * M-Audio Sound Card, 2 Alumapro 10" subs, 2 PPI Amps (1kW)

Comment

Originally posted by -al-
        Yea, I also am looking for a am/fm tuner. It's either find one, or use a small radio which would connect to the sound card input.
        I have tried small walkman style radios, but they use the earphones as antennas, and if you don't use the earphones, they don't pick up fm at all. I have tried to hook up wires to the car's antenna, but i could not get a good signal...
        What we need is a small radio w/ an antenna.

Comment

Originally posted by amrit50
          I have tried small walkman style radios, but they use the earphones as antennas, and if you don't use the earphones, they don't pick up fm at all. I have tried to hook up wires to the car's antenna, but i could not get a good signal...
          What we need is a small radio w/ an antenna.

It looks like I will have to use a small digital radio connected to line in for the time being. I'm hoping that there will be more elegant solutions in the near future. It would be nice to control the tuning via my touch/LCD.

Comment

Originally posted by ImInSanDiego
            It looks like I will have to use a small digital radio connected to line in for the time being. I'm hoping that there will be more elegant solutions in the near future. It would be nice to control the tuning via my touch/LCD.

What radio do you use? I can't get reception w/ anything...

Comment

Originally posted by amrit50
              What radio do you use? I can't get reception w/ anything...
              Actually, I haven't found a radio that I want use yet. I was going to head over to Best Buy and pick out something cheap. But if reception is a problem with all small handheld units, I'm not sure what I am going to do.

Comment

There is the ADS Cadet AM/FM Radio Data Receiver Card ISA8 8MB-RAM ID Logic PNP... however it is ISA not PCI, which can be a problem. It is VERY cheap only ~ US$5 or so... not sure of quality/function though

http://www.provantage.com/buy-220320...o-shopping.htm
                Mp3CAR Uninstalled - VIA EPIA DEAD!
                Subaru LIBERTY 95

VIA EPIA-M10000 Neminiah
                120GB HD, 512MB RAM
                Pioneer 120S DVD
                PW-70A & ITPS
                Lilliput Touch
                Homemade Polycarbonate / Aluminium case
                Coming: GPS/Camera/In-dash housing/WiFi/bluetooth/TV??

Comment

Anyone know of an FM tuner that can use your already built in antenna...? USB would b the best but i guess it doesnt really matter...
                  XtReMoDs.com

Carputer Status (Not installed.)
                  -VIA M10000 N
                  -TM-7002S + TSK (7" LCD)
                  -512MB PC2700 DDR
                  -40GB 2.5" HD
                  -SB Live!
                  -Rand McNally GPS
                  -DLink FM Tuner
                  -XMRPC
                  _

Comment

The D-Link has a connector for an external antenna. Does anyone know if the Hauppage WinTV-USB can connect to an external antenna?

Comment

This may be a dumb question, but does there exist an ISA to USB or PCI converter? I have a epia m10000, which I don't think supports ISA?
                      -AL
                      * 2000 Ford Expedition

Comment

I dont think anything like that exists... what do you have that is an ISA slot that you cant just replace?
                        XtReMoDs.com

Carputer Status (Not installed.)
                        -VIA M10000 N
                        -TM-7002S + TSK (7" LCD)
                        -512MB PC2700 DDR
                        -40GB 2.5" HD
                        -SB Live!
                        -Rand McNally GPS
                        -DLink FM Tuner
                        -XMRPC
                        _

Comment

See post #8 above...The only am/fm tuner device we could find is ISA. I think someone else found another one which was usb, but it only worked under mac os.
                          -AL
                          * 2000 Ford Expedition

Comment

I contacted Griffin Technology and they said they WILL provide Windows drivers when it actually ships. So that's good news.

I had the Wintv USB FM and it had ports for an fm antenna and tv antenna.

Tom
                            1993 Probe GT
                            Rio Car w/20gb

Comment

Originally posted by tbdombrosky
                              I contacted Griffin Technology and they said they WILL provide Windows drivers when it actually ships.

[H]4 Life
                              My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                              It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                              I'm a lesbian too.
                              I am for hire!

Comment

Working...
                              X