FM Modulator?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FM Modulator?

Has anyone found an FM modulator to feed audio to a head unit? I've seen some for $80 but that seems a little steep for a little box that doesn't do much. My head doesn't have aux input and I'm not going to invest in a new one. Any suggestions/ideas are appreciated.....TIA

Chris

I have been told that a tape adapter works MUCH better than a FM modulator

Comment

Someone on the list sent me a reply via email with a part# for an FM modulator from www.partsexpress.com. Thanks! The part number for those interested is 205-215 and costs 49.95....

also, I would have used a tape adapter but my head unit is cd...

Comment

FM modulators suck really big penis.. just buy a new head deck..

Comment

I too have a cd deck and my only option was to add an fm modulator. It the most cost efficient way to add mp3 tunes to my system.

Comment

If you by a Pioneer headunit, U can use a adapter caled "CD-RB20" connected to the Pioneer's IP bus, ..with some mods think it is posible to get song title in headunit... Perfect soulution...

Comment

In regards to what MPRover said about the tape adapter, I had to go that route with my mp3 system and it works like a charm and it is a simple way to hook up your system. It doesnt look as good having the wire coming out of your tape deck but it sure beats an FM modulator

Comment

I bought a tape adapter for $2 at a computer show and it sounds like, for better words, crap. It was repackaged and wraped in tape that said "Best Buy (a electronic chain store) Inspected", and in a box with other repackaged things. That what I get for being cheap. Im going to go to either Sound Advice (car audio) or Best Buy to see if there is a way to add another input. I already have a 6disc CD changer so It may or may not be a problem.

Comment

Using an FM modulator or a tape adapter defeats the purpose of CD quality audio in my opinion...Ive heard a tape adapter before and there was really no point in just not using tapes... why would someone want to take a 44.1 Khz sample down to tape quality 22.1 and I believe FM is lower than that...well thats just my two cents...flame on if im out of line...

Comment

Catlas, you dont take the quality down with a tape adapter, all its doing is fooling your reciever to think a tape is in there so it plays the tape. Its not like the quality of the mp3 is degraded because its not actually on tape. Its Still in its digital format. Thats why they made those adapters for CD's, so you can listen to your cds in your tape deck without quality loss. Now I have had my tape adapter in my car for about 2 months and it sounds fine. I just bought the adapter for $7.99 and the tape heads cleaner for about the same and everything works just fine

Comment

Actually Goliath, there is a loss of quality.. I can guarentee you of that.. although the sound quality is still heaps better than tape.. but it is hissy.. when I had my Alpine tape deck in my car, my tweeters where pretty much just putting out hiss, and very little sound.. now I have my pioneer, the tweeters kick ***.. but I definetly agree that the tape is heaps better than FM modulation...

Also, Acid, if you have any info on how to get info from the computer onto the head deck, give me a message at [email protected]

I highly doubt that you can do this, but i'll be happy to admit I'm wrong if you can figure it out..

Comment

Anny cd changer from pioneer u can storage up to 100 cd's with 24 track names. All U got to do is to make the headunit to belive that a cd-changer is connected an then it gets it's song information from "the virtual cd changer" -->pc I think it's possible annyone Please help me..

Comment

No matter how you get your mp3 player's signal into the deck it will loose quality (unless you have an Optical of SPDIF input on your deck and the same output on the sound card). When the sound goes through your sound card it passes through a DAC (digital to analog converter), instantly erasing all the 44.1khz sampling rate stuff everyone loves and making it the same quality a tape would be with DNR active.
                          The only difference between an AUX input and tape adapter (I agree FM modulators suck ***) is the wiring. The AUX goes direct to the preamp or amp and the Tape adapter goes through all the mechanical and electronic parts needed to play a tape. As long as your system doesn't hiss or have alternator whine you're ok.

Comment

Thats true.. but I mean, if you play a CD it also has to go through a DAC.. the way I have mine rigged through the deck it is CD quality.. you couldn't expect any better sound quality than AUX...

Also, Acid, if you can figure out how to get the computer to fake being a CD changer then you are a genius.. the fact is you can't, if you could there would be CD Changers that would work with a variety of head decks.. the companies that make the CD Changers don't release that kind of information to stop other companies taking business away from them by making cheaper CD Changers that work with their head decks..

Comment

Actually, immy, it wouldn't be that difficult. All that is involved in the connection between your disc changer and your head unit is electrical signals, no different than those between your joystick and your computer. Any electronic device can be fooled into thinking it's connected to another, specific device. Pioneer head units (for example) are compatable with a variety of Alpine CD changers, and are made to be compatable with a number of CD changers that haven't even entered production yet. All one would need to do is 'listen in' on the communication between the head unit and the CD changer. This can be done in many ways, and the only real obstacle is voltage. Once you get that out of the way, you can just hook both boxes up to your parallel or serial port, and listen to what the head unit says to the changer, and vice versa. Of course, to correctly fool either unit while 'listening', you'd have to relay the messages recieved from the head unit on to the changer (and vice versa). But just listen for awhile. How do you think people made clones of ICQ? They just set up a proxy between ICQ and the rest of the internet and listened to what they had to say to eachother. Once you know how the two units communicate, all you have to do is emulate one end of the communication by sending the same signals that the other end would expect to receive. If you really wanted to, you could even hook your 12-disc changer up to your computer. I don't see what you think is so difficult about this. Yes, it's a whole lot of work, but by no means would it take a genius to figure out.
                              digitalswirlee.com

Comment

Working...
                              X