Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well i've been thinking and what about...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well i've been thinking and what about...

What you guys think about setting a tablet pc in dash and removing whenever you stepout the car and you could use at home, at you office and wherever you fell like ??? The problem is: How the hell you gonna set to place and remove it in dash??? what i think is to get the same stuff as the have to support the tablet pc on their on companies that sell it... but what we really need is how to fit it and how it won't keep moving whenever you go thru a hole on the street???
    there are tablets 8.4" thru 14" that i have seen on ebay and it looks a good price.
    as u could see you won't be worry about somebody steal your carputer??

Yeah I thought of that idea back in January. Hell, I HAVE a tablet PC and I still dont think its a good idea to use it. Maybe when I got my money together and build another carPC then I might consider using the Tablet PC. Besides, Tablet PC only respond to the pen that it comes with. Lose the pen and your SOL. Sure you can buy a replacement pen but in what if you're taking a trip and the pen happened to fell between the door and the seat and you didnt know it. Next thing you know you stop at a rest stop open the door, pen fells off and you drove off. By the time you realize it, you forgot where you lost the pen.
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12514
    NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
    If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

and i have been thinking there are much more positives then negatives points on tablet pcs but what about the sound card of tablets?? anygood?

Comment

Horrible
        NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
        If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

If you have the room...(mine is an early forrunner of the tablet pc...I had to disassemble it to fit it)

I use an external USB soundcard...works great! (sounds great)
          current projects

Comment

anyone?

Originally posted by DodgeCummins
            If you have the room...(mine is an early forrunner of the tablet pc...I had to disassemble it to fit it)

I use an external USB soundcard...works great! (sounds great)
            i've got a cherokee sport 2001 , do u think it would work with a 8.4" or 10" tablet pc??and how about cost/benefits???
            btw i live in Brazil we have more thiefs then yall...

Comment

I was thinking about that route also. USB sound card will be needed for sure, unless its a newer tablet.

Pros:
              Low Power
              Small size
              Built in touchscreens (*)
              most have PCMCIA and USB
              No need for custom powersupply

Cons:
              (*)Stylus (pen) type touchscreens
              Cost (depends)
              .... probably more I cant think of right now

The Fujitsu Stylistic 2300 looks like a good buy. 8.4" Active Matrix (also comes in transflective). They run at 233mhz, but will run DVD with a Margi DVD decoder (about $20 shipped on Ebay). Most come with either a 4 or 6 gb shock mounted hard drive (I need at least 20 to feel comfortable). It has a stylus touchscreen, my plan was to disable that and just put a normal 8.4" serial overlay on it. They go for $140-$250.

If you got the room for a tabletpc, it may be a good option. I researched alot of different models the last couple months and the above looked like the best for my project, your needs may be different. And mine are always changing. I have a SBC with 10.4 touch on the way now

Comment

Well you can see that mine is a Fujitsu 1200 with TFT screen...around $120 on ebay.

All you need is a way to mount it. If you have an automatic transmission, then you can probably but it down by the transmission hump.

Mine is a stick so the only place was the dash.

They are about 1.5" thick so you need some space for the thickness.

In this example the 1200 does not have USB outputs built in, but does have a port expander.

In fact there is a lock down floor mount for it that you can sometimes find. It is heavy steel, and a lock.

Just depends on what kind of room you have, and how much effort you want to put into it.

The screen of mine is about 8", perfect for my needs.
                current projects

Comment

about the pen issue, get a string
                  -
                  My cars
                  -

Comment

well 10.4" is more than perfect, what you guys think about a Compaq Tablet PC TC1000 ? is this one with good nits?? and anyone know how would i place it and a way to mout it that i could get it off whenever i want it to??

Comment

Working...
                    X