External Digital Volume Control ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External Digital Volume Control ?

I'm building myself an external digital volume control, that goes between your audio source and your amps, and it occured to me it might be useful to mp3car people.
    Specs will be:
    Dial control
    128 steps of volume
    no crackle - its digital
    LED Lighting system, led's light in a semi circle around dial as you turn up volume

Is anybody interested in such a vol control kit/prefab?

expected cost would be about 15-20
    www.digital-car.co.uk - The UK CarPC Forum

Not to knok your idea, but I think most people use the computer software to adjust volume, so why would you want an external control?
    -AL
    * 2000 Ford Expedition
    * EPIA M10000/512 meg RAM, Win XP PRO, 90w OPUS, 80 gig HD
    * TM-710VGT LCD, Wireless mouse, keyboard
    * M-Audio Sound Card, 2 Alumapro 10" subs, 2 PPI Amps (1kW)

Comment

al, easy to change the volume. My sound goes right into my HU so i control my volume via that. People with a HUless system would want this since it makes changing volume very easy. knob is way better idea then changing it via a touchscreen or such
      '98 Explorer Sport
      http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
      AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
      80% done

Comment

I disagree that a knob is a way better idea than touchscreen.

I use Arby's skin for winamp. The volume control is bar that is always visible on the top portion of the skin. All you do is tap it to left to decrease the volume to that point or tap it to right for the opposite effect. If anything, I'd argue it more convenient than a knob or hu volume control.

Using sound mixer to control volume is a bit trickier. It requires a lot of attention that you should be paying to the road instead, because of the small buttons/sliders and multiple clicks required.

I plan on mapping the volume adjustments to the factory steering wheel controls once my pac swix comes in.
        -TJ
        Smart Playlists Plugin for RoadRunner
        CarPC - 05 Acura TL Navi (pics soon)
        Retired CarPC - 03 Infiniti Qx4

Comment

Originally posted by Jamez_Warner
          I'm building myself an external digital volume control, that goes between your audio source and your amps, and it occured to me it might be useful to mp3car people.
          Specs will be:
          Dial control
          128 steps of volume
          no crackle - its digital
          LED Lighting system, led's light in a semi circle around dial as you turn up volume

the griffin powermate is a possible solution :
          http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powermate/

~mike
          Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
          PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
          2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

Originally posted by mp3z24

~mike
            I just got one of these in the mail yesterday. I will let you know what I think tomorrow.
            Check out the progress of my carputer at http://www.monkeytails.net

Comment

I installed the Powermate this weekend and really like it. It's mounted on my center console, right by where my hand rests so it is very convenient to use. The only problem I'm having with it is that when I first boot up my machine, I have to unplug and replug the device in to get Windows to see it. Any suggestions? It's USB BTW....
              Stop Buying New Music CD's.
              Hit The RIAA where it lives.

Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

Comment

ok to address your issues:

A> yes you can change volume on PC - but do you trust it not to default to full volume? mine has done several times - with over a thousands watts of amps in my car - its not something you wanna hear happen.

B> a knob allows fast adjustment - with touchscreen you have to constantly hit or hold down - theres no way to turn down a lot.

C> powermate is 50 including postage in UK - and it still doesn't get round PC volume problem - hence my idea
                www.digital-car.co.uk - The UK CarPC Forum

Comment

[QUOTE=Jamez_Warner]A> yes you can change volume on PC - but do you trust it not to default to full volume? mine has done several times - with over a thousands watts of amps in my car - its not something you wanna hear happen.

You're right that sucks !! Also I want to use the Powermate for navigation and connecting two of them won't work. So I'm interessted in your project. But it depends on how it will look like !

Greetings
                  Jan

Comment

"default to full volume"

A) I've had that happen before when playing with new software. It's extremely annoying. It was bad for my ears and my audio equipment. My software suite has matured, and the problem is no more. But when I do play with new software, it would be nice to have the proposed knob.

"with touchscreen you have to constantly hit or hold down - theres no way to turn down a lot."

B) Wrong. This is not the case using a scheme similar to that used in Arby's winamp skin. You can tap the volume to the new setting instantly. The modified version I use also has an ATT button to quickly lower the volume. I wouldn't mind having a stand alone app that offers similar features for the master volume control.

My one fear about pc controlled volume is what happens if the pc hangs emitting a loud noise. Software volume control would be unresponsive. In this case, the external knob could be useful. But, I would rather just reset my computer via button near the dash and have it reboot instantly instead.
                    -TJ
                    Smart Playlists Plugin for RoadRunner
                    CarPC - 05 Acura TL Navi (pics soon)
                    Retired CarPC - 03 Infiniti Qx4

Comment

Rather than beat about the bush, I say if someone is offering their idea to the community and it has been developed, we should pursue it as there is bound to be someone out there who it is useful to.
                      I would be v. interested, is it only single gang e.g. mono or is it possible ntrol multiple channels?
                      I would be interested in adapting it as a fade control so i can adjust rear speakers.

Rather than knocking this guy back i say we encourage; it was no so long ago i remember someone posting about how to control their sub from ME.... could it be used as a sub control??
                      Please post more details of your idea...
                      Of all the things I've ever lost my sanity was the hardest to deal with

Comment

Originally posted by Jamez_Warner
                        Specs will be:
                        Dial control
                        128 steps of volume
                        no crackle - its digital

alright, i didnt have time to get into this before... but here are my questions/concerns.

yes, a powermate will control the volume of the PC. and it will allow you to increase and decrease the volume, up to max volume set by the computer.

when you say you are going to make an external volume control, are you sure you are saying what you mean. what im getting at is this: an external volume control as you describe it, is going to take a signal from the computer, and decrease the stregth and pass that attenuated signal to the amps, or whatever device you are going to have driving your speakers.

are u in fact going to be making an inline "pre-amp" for volume control? or, are you planning on setting the volume on the PC to some maximum value, and then attenuating it via the digital control device you plan on building. if you want to increase the volume above the output of the computer, you are going to have to build a pre-amp. not an easy thing to do (cheaply) with clean output. if you want to regulate the volume as a fraction of the computer volume output, with some digital regulation device, you are probably better off going with the powermate.

but, you are free to do what you wish. a bit more info would be nice... im interested to see the end result, if you go forward with this.

~Mike
                        Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
                        PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
                        2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

I just use a remote that controls the master volume and winamp volume, that way you can still control dvd,tv, and navi volumes outside of winamp.

Comment

Originally posted by mp3z24

~mike
                            ++

thats what i was thinking
                            2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

I plan on using an external volume solution. I also want reliable control outside of the computer.

It wouldn't have to be digital, but since I want the volume on the dash, and the computer/amp is in the trunk, this is a great solution. This prevents needing to run the line signal all the way to the front and then back.

Comment

Working...
                              X