No announcement yet.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HEAT!!!

How many fans should I put in this thing? Will a 95 degree day fry my motherboard or chip or even the hard drive? Also how about those -15 degree winter night will that damage the hard drive? Thanks for the help!

It not necessarily the number of fans, but how much air is actually moving over the hot parts. I use a fan sink for my processor and one system fan that wasn't doing a good job of circulating the air because my regulator did a thermal shutdown on a 95 degree day. Depending on what you are trying to cool, a typical system fan can move enough air to cool 5-10W about 10-20 degrees C. Also make sure you have enough holes in your chassis and especially at the top since heat rises

I live in florida and alomst every day is a 90 plus inside the car. The inmterior has even gotten up to 130 when I left the car in the sun all day. Are there any precautions I should take while buying/building a system?

I went to a computer show today and bought a case cooler. It drops the temp. by 20 C degrees. This fan sits in an ISA or AGP slot and blows air out. At the opposite end of the case, I have a case blowing air in. Because heat rises, I will put the fan that blows air out on the top, and the fan that blows air in on the bottom. I am hoping that this creates a "wind tunnel" effect. I also wanted to buy a case temp. sensor but they were $39. Ill try to find one cheaper that makes an alarm when temp is really high. I want to mount some sort of LED to the LCD screen that will indicate if the case is in the "DANGER" zone

I found a solution to my problems. It involves installing a hard wired air cooler from a portable beer cooler. The original system plugged into a cig. lighter, and can be hard wired like the AC/DC inverter. When running this, it can actually drop temps inside the system to about 40 or 50 degrees F. I would advise installing in the trunk of a car as it gets less hot in there. As to a previous message regarding a thermometer, I have one small piece of advice. In my other message on the appearence thread, I said that I am custom building a plexiglass case. You can actually use a cheap fish thermometer that is a sticker that sticks on the side. These can be bought at any wal-mart and they can tell you the temp. pretty accurately. Please excuse my spelling, as it always sucks. Thanks, and I appreciate all e-mail comments on my ideas, or any other possible ones!

For my solution, also described on, I have a heatsink on the processor, a small fan attached to the bottom of the hard drive, a fan servicing the power supply, and a 2600rpm blower hooked up right above the processor blowing air out. This system moves tons of air through my case ( style). No problems yet during this recent heatwave or the last one...