Relay Controler

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relay Controler

In my lurking around here I have heard of some people using their carputer to do stuff like lock the doors, open windows stuff like that, using a Relay controler (I think...). Well, my car, Lincoln Mark VIII has Air Bag suspension, not im not expecting anyone here to know the particulars of my system, but Just looking to see if anyone has done or attempeted to have their carputer opperate their air suspension using a realy controler or some other piece of external hardware.

Originally posted by kev415
    In my lurking around here I have heard of some people using their carputer to do stuff like lock the doors, open windows stuff like that, using a Relay controler (I think...). Well, my car, Lincoln Mark VIII has Air Bag suspension, not im not expecting anyone here to know the particulars of my system, but Just looking to see if anyone has done or attempeted to have their carputer opperate their air suspension using a realy controler or some other piece of external hardware.
    I helped my friend debug the air suspension in his Lincoln...the @$$ end of the car was sagging so bad the bumper was only 4" from the ground....it turned out the height sensor came disconnected, reatacheted it an the car returned to normal height. I wouldn't recommend messing with this system it is fairly complicated , there is a separate computer in the trunk dedicated to controlling the air systems, a motor under the winshield washer resevoir and solenoids to trap/release air...it's an expensive system to fix.

Do a search for 'parallel relay card' there are plenty of threads about using relay cards for controller fan speed, door locks etc.
    My Celica Carputer Install

Comment

Originally posted by EBJUSTIN
      I helped my friend debug the air suspension in his Lincoln...the @$$ end of the car was sagging so bad the bumper was only 4" from the ground....it turned out the height sensor came disconnected, reatacheted it an the car returned to normal height. I wouldn't recommend messing with this system it is fairly complicated , there is a separate computer in the trunk dedicated to controlling the air systems, a motor under the winshield washer resevoir and solenoids to trap/release air...it's an expensive system to fix.

Do a search for 'parallel relay card' there are plenty of threads about using relay cards for controller fan speed, door locks etc.
      Cool, thanks. The system actually isnt that complicated, I have already played with it and have switches in the interior so I can drop in and lower it manually at my disgression, I just wanted to try and get the carputer to do it. I dont know anything about what kind of output you get from the relay card, so i'll have to look into that, but it was just another one fo those possible things to do, you know.

Comment

PC relay card is just a board with muiltiple switches controlled by the PC, typically by parallel ports.

All you get is an open or short circuit, just like an on off switch. You should be able to get a SPDT relay card, or just a SPST type of switching.

If you have already played with switches on your car, you should be able to make these relay card to your own spec...up to 8 relays on parallel port quite easily. Just send the a HEX data on your port to control the relays.

Hope that helps

Comment

excelent, thanks for the info

Comment

Anyone recommend one thats NOT parallel? Im using an LCD via my parallel port.
            2011 Nissan Frontier SL
            AMD X3 2.2 | M4-ATX | 16Gb SSD | 2GB DDR3-1333 | MSI GF615M-P33 MB
            OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

Comment

once you get away from parallel they get really expensive:

http://www.ontrak.net/ADU200.htm
              http://www.j-works.com/
              or
              http://www.ar.com.au/~softmark/page32.html

Comment

thats really funny cause i had the same idea as you... seriously. anways, i am a bit into microcontrollers. Do you know anything about programming? well if you do, i was going to create a form in visual basic which had a picture of my car, and then have the psi written next to each tire. next to that would be up and down arrows to control the height. also, you can write a while loop that will say... while pressure is higher than 20psi, continue to release air, and it would take your bag down to 20psi. it would be a *****IN setup. i was even going to have a small video window next to one of the tires in which you could see your airbag via a small wireless video camera. well i dont have airbags yet, and probably wont(still thinking about it) get them because i have a lifted truck (yes, you can put airbags on a lifted truck.) if you have any questions let me know, i would love to help! -Ryan

Comment

once you get away from parallel they get really expensive:

Use a USB-PARALLEL converter, then connect your parallel relay board to it The converter are not expensive.

Its strange how some of these product are being sold for so much, just a bit of imagination can get around it

Comment

ryanerb...

If you are into microcontrollers look for USB interfacing specifications/design. I have seen it on the web somewhere and it does look very interesting. Not sure if its worth designing/building a USB relay board though.

Comment

Ricky, i'll look into it... that way i could sell them more in bulk. thx for the suggestion -Ryan

Comment

If you find something interesting let me know. Im investigating on a dual axis accelerometer...Im actually testing it right now as I type

It is connected to a serial port. But if I can design/build a USB interface for it using a PIC microcontroller then Ill be very >>>

The USB relay card interface should be very similiar though.

Comment

With all this talk about parallel relays, I have a program wrapper around my carputer software (Flash Studio Pro) that can send and receive serial commands... are there any serial relay cards out there, or would I just buy a serial to parallel converter and use the same parallel relay card you all are talking about? Basically, what would be the easiest/best way to interface serial with my car's electrical system?
                          Current:
                          2011 Black Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon | 20" KMC Rockstars | 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers | Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper | Kicker KX350.4 amp

Comment

Working...
                          X