Poor XM-PCR Sound quality?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor XM-PCR Sound quality?

Hi, after I installed my XM-PCR into my carputer, I quickly realized that the sound quality did not live up to my expecations AT ALL. When watching my graphic equalizer, the sound all but cuts off in the higher frequencies, It is like someone turned the treble all the way down.

Being that the XM-PCR runs through my Line-In I don't think there is any way of adjusting that. Does anyone know a way? Also so higher quality sound cards have this ability built in? (I am currently using On-board EPIA M-10000 sound).

anyone else had any experience with this? perhaps it is defective hardware??

Thanks

btw: my antenna strength is plenty strong, so its not that. And my mp3's all have much better sound than this thing
    My OLD Carputer: http://www.mp3car.com/node/18137
    Currently, Don't have a carputer :( I sold my lincoln and bought a '93 Acura Vigor, plan on putting a carputer in it one of these days. You can see my vigor at: This Site

nobody has any input??? oh well, I will probably try the Digital Output option, but that means I need a new sound-card. Anyone have any input on the Sound Blaster Extigy? Likes/dislikes?
    Currently, Don't have a carputer :( I sold my lincoln and bought a '93 Acura Vigor, plan on putting a carputer in it one of these days. You can see my vigor at: This Site

Comment

Just bought the XM-PCR digital out board and soldered it in yesterday! Piece of cake, and worth the $40. Imputing to an external Soundblaster Extigy, about as good as an Mp3 file, and way better than the analog.

But I can't imagine this set-up in a vehical! Does Soundblaster make an internal Extigy?

I still like the external because the jacks are easy to get at.
      "Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades"

VIA M-9000, C-134, 256 Mb, DVD-CD/RW, 60 Gb, XM-PCR Sat Radio, Linksys 802.11b, Street Atlas GPS, ReplacePCR XM s/w, Blaupunkt HU, Sony XPlode 5 ch/amp, Liliput 7" VGA

Comment

Oh and, the XM-PCR software is pretty suckola too (like no one noticed). Try this guys alternative, works dy-no-myte if you're into recording:

http://www.davidbroome.com/page.asp?Page=88&sid=1

For the XM-PCR digital out board, try:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/xmfanstore/xmtodioubo.html
        MeanGT: Check the high freq. response graph on that page, just as you state.

VIA M-9000, C-134, 256 Mb, DVD-CD/RW, 60 Gb, XM-PCR Sat Radio, Linksys 802.11b, Street Atlas GPS, ReplacePCR XM s/w, Blaupunkt HU, Sony XPlode 5 ch/amp, Liliput 7" VGA

Comment

Thanks for all the info aethernaut. when you say "about as good as an mp3" Can you actually hear a difference between the two? Also, does the extigy allow you to adjust treble and bass individually?

I don't think I would have a problem implementing it into the car I already have such a wiring mess, what's a few more wires gonna hurt?

Comment

Originally posted by MeanGT
            Thanks for all the info aethernaut. when you say "about as good as an mp3" Can you actually hear a difference between the two? Also, does the extigy allow you to adjust treble and bass individually?

I don't think I would have a problem implementing it into the car I already have such a wiring mess, what's a few more wires gonna hurt?
            Ummm... It's hard to say, and depends on original material. But in general, I'd say it's not quite as good as a 128 kbps Mp3, but way better than FM off the radio and the analog from the XM-PCR. My good stereo is upstairs and I've only hooked this up to a cheapo Panasonic receiver with modified Bose PA speakers in the basement so far, mind you.

Actually, tell me what kind of music you like, and I'll record a song switching from digital to analog in the middle, and send it to you, if you like. I'd be interested if you hear a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by aethernaut
              Actually, tell me what kind of music you like, and I'll record a song switching from digital to analog in the middle, and send it to you, if you like. I'd be interested if you hear a difference.
              check your private messages

Comment

Originally posted by aethernaut
                Does Soundblaster make an internal Extigy?
                [giggle]yeah, it's called the audigy[/giggle]
                [H]4 Life
                My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                I'm a lesbian too.
                I am for hire!

Comment

Originally posted by frodobaggins
                  [giggle]yeah, it's called the audigy[/giggle]
                  Perhaps things should be clarified here somewhat for those who take a while to catch on.

The Audigy series is basically a fancy gaming audio card. Only the top two +$200 models offer optical input/outputs, and those connections are on separate outboard modules anyway. The XM-PCR add-on board requires optical inputs, and what is be asked here, does Creative make a single board equivalent of the Extigy, with on-board optical inputs?

Not that I can see. Why would anyone pay $80 more for an Audigy and still have the outboard modules to deal with?

Comment

For you folks using the Extigy....I'm only getting sound out of my front and sub output from the Extigy. Is it possible i have turned off the sound from the rear output? I'm hoping I didn't kill the rear output from my Extigy. Any ideas?
                    Stop Buying New Music CD's.
                    Hit The RIAA where it lives.

Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

Comment

Originally posted by chut
                      For you folks using the Extigy....I'm only getting sound out of my front and sub output from the Extigy. Is it possible i have turned off the sound from the rear output? I'm hoping I didn't kill the rear output from my Extigy. Any ideas?
                      In the Creative audio mixer, there's a button in lower left, "settings". Under playback settings, there are sliders for center and sub volumes. Is your center one shut way down?

Comment

Yopu can find the Audigy 2 ZS card for $90 or so on pricewatch. It is superior to the extigy and audigy cards it supports coaxial in and out on card. You could purchase a Toslink/coaxial Converter from radio shack for $15 and not have to purchase the audigy 2 zs platinum or plat pro cards that have the external input boxs and go for $160-$200.

Comment

Originally posted by RedBaron
                          Yopu can find the Audigy 2 ZS card for $90 or so on pricewatch. It is superior to the extigy and audigy cards it supports coaxial in and out on card. You could purchase a Toslink/coaxial Converter from radio shack for $15 and not have to purchase the audigy 2 zs platinum or plat pro cards that have the external input boxs and go for $160-$200.
                          That's an idea. Radio Shack doesn't say, but it looks like from the picture that the converter requires external power, though. At least it's smaller than the Extigy.

This one:

http://www.digitalconnection.com/pro...io/dio2496.asp

has the optical inputs on the board, but it's right up there with the audigy in price, $189. USB Extigys are going for $111 new on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=31492

Comment

SNR is almost double to the Extigy, but since the extigy already has the optical outputs....how is the Audigy any better?

QUOTE=RedBaron]Yopu can find the Audigy 2 ZS card for $90 or so on pricewatch. It is superior to the extigy and audigy cards it supports coaxial in and out on card. You could purchase a Toslink/coaxial Converter from radio shack for $15 and not have to purchase the audigy 2 zs platinum or plat pro cards that have the external input boxs and go for $160-$200.[/QUOTE]
                            Stop Buying New Music CD's.
                            Hit The RIAA where it lives.

Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

Comment

Originally posted by RedBaron
                              SNR is almost double to the Extigy, but since the extigy already has the optical outputs....how is the Audigy any better?
                              It is.

Here is another alternative that I may try.

Chaintek V710 soundcard

VIA ENVY 24PT chipset

Supports SPDIF-IN/OUT
                              24-bit resolution audio format support
                              Sampling rates up to 192KHz
                              Supports Mic In / Line In / 4 Line outs & Digital Optical output
                              2 separate CD audio stereo inputs

http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/p...o=16&PISNo=199

As you can see in the picture it has a toslink connection, and is stated to support spdif in and out. I can only see 2 other internal connectors which are cd audio. So it must use the toslink for spdif in/out, then you could hook it directly to xmpcr toslink out. Newegg has this card for $27 plus shipping for that price it could be a great card.

Comment

Working...
                              X