Cold Weather vs Hard Drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Weather vs Hard Drive

I've seen other threads where people try to figure out what's happening to their computers in cold weather, but I have a more specific question:

What hard disks are you using that boot in cold weather at all?

At the moment, I have a Maxtor Model 8 6E030L0 30GB 7200 RPM drive. At exactly 35 degrees F, when I turn on the car (typically in the morning) the POST will report 'Primary Hard Disk Failure'. After 5 minutes or so, I need to unplug the power (for lack of a switch) and restart the computer and it works fine. Checking the spec sheets from Maxtor, I see that the Operating Temperature is rated at a minimum of 41 degrees.

On checking other drives from other manufacturers, they all have similar operating temperatures. I was wondering what drives you use that either 'beat' their rated temperatures or what methods you use to avoid the problem.

Thanks in advance,
    --Ed

I have a Maxtor... Denver cold weather has not been a problem in 3 or 4 years. Most of that was parking on the street (not garaged overnight).

Sometimes the cold causes a bit more noise until it warms up.
    TruckinMP3
    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

i live in upstate, NY.. it can get very very cold. I've booted my maxtor 60gig on a -15F morning.
      '98 Explorer Sport
      http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
      AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
      80% done

Comment

Could you guys give me model numbers of your Maxtor drives? It dawned on me that mine has a feature called "Fluid Dynamic Bearings" or something intended to reduce noise output.

Comment

Mine is an old 8.4gig... sorry I am not going to pull it out to look at the model number... No "Fluid Dynamic Bearings" though.
          TruckinMP3

Read the FAQ!

Comment

****, i have a 40gb IBM 7200rpm (not installed yet) it would suck if cold weather will be a problem. IT SNOWED LIKE 2 FEET ToDAY
            92 Taurus SHO - Daily driver - Epia M10000 80GB 512mb 7" touchscreen, Opus PSU etc

93 Black SHO - 30mpg cruiser

90 Silver SHO - 419whp fun/project car, CarPC to come (for tuning)

Comment

Snow...stupid Arizona. Today's low was like 50. Heat might be an issue. We'll see in August.
              My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
              2 Kicker Comp 10"
              Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
              Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
              Check it out?!

Comment

as least you can use fans, but what do i do on the -20F days here if my hard drive doesnt work well in cold weather
                92 Taurus SHO - Daily driver - Epia M10000 80GB 512mb 7" touchscreen, Opus PSU etc

Comment

Just overclock an Athlon XP with Palamino core. That'll produce a good bit of heat...

Comment

i hope your kidding

Comment

I got a maxtor in mine and no problems yet. I live in Wisconsin and it has allready been below freezing a few times. Maybe try an older drive if you continue to have problems. that's my .02 sorry for lack of better answer
                      This is my personal homepage no advertisement here. It has a shot of my carpc project.

Comment

If cold is an issue. Can't you just warm up the car for a little bit and then start the system...
                        Danny.

"If today was perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow."
                        My Car Project® ‹== !10.4" Allbrite, touchscreen, epia, 150opus, gps, wireless, sony remote [old] 128x64 Crystalfontz +double din [new]

Comment

Yeah but the hard drive is metal so its going to take a long time to come up to the same temp as the rest of the car.

Simon
                          My Alfa Romeo Sprint page
                          What am I selling on ebay today?

Comment

I don't have a prices but you could take a look at http://www.watlow.com/products/heaters/

These might work.
                            Angelica

Comment

Do not add heat to you system. Look for a different solution.
                              TruckinMP3

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Working...
                              X