Carputer finally in...static issue...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carputer finally in...static issue...

After 2 months of planning, buying and pre-installing, the carputer is finally in the vehicle (more or less). See my sig for HW.

Static. With engine OFF and winamp volume at 5-10% I hear static from the speakers. The static is proportional to the MAIN volume set in windows volume control. When you turn up the volume in winamp the static is masked by the high volume (the static doesn't get louder), but you can still hear it during soft passages / silences of the song.
    -AL
    * 2000 Ford Expedition
    * EPIA M10000/512 meg RAM, Win XP PRO, 90w OPUS, 80 gig HD
    * TM-710VGT LCD, Wireless mouse, keyboard
    * M-Audio Sound Card, 2 Alumapro 10" subs, 2 PPI Amps (1kW)

grounding issue.. i notice your running amps, so they have to be grounded somewhere.

Here is the first thing I'd do.

1) try to ground your mobo to the same spot as your amps
    2) try to ground your soundcard to that same spot.
    '98 Explorer Sport
    http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
    AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
    80% done

Comment

Originally posted by hijinks21
      grounding issue.. i notice your running amps, so they have to be grounded somewhere.

Here is the first thing I'd do.

1) try to ground your mobo to the same spot as your amps
      2) try to ground your soundcard to that same spot.
      1) When you say "ground your mobo to the same spot as your amps", I assume you are talking about the mobo power supply? The opus IS grounded to the same point as the amps. How do I actually ground the mobo?

2) How do I ground the soundcard? There is no ground on it that I can see.
      -AL
      * 2000 Ford Expedition

Comment

I just did an experiment and I do not hear the static when I use windows media player or MediaEngine - So it must be related to WinAmp.
        -AL
        * 2000 Ford Expedition

Comment

Grounding Tidbits

Originally posted by -al-
          I just did an experiment and I do not hear the static when I use windows media player or MediaEngine - So it must be related to WinAmp.

If your problem ends up not being a software issue. Make sure when your ground your computer and other expensive pieces of hardware. Use a good quality diode to protect your equipment from and back feeding into other hardware. Bleed back on your ground system can cause damage and undesired problems. After working in the emergency vehicle feild for several years we ran into all kinds or qurky probelms releated to ground issues.

Comment

Just a quick thought that probably isn't going to help but make sure your Mic in line is muted.. Lot's of noise comes over this one. Finally a computer can send a lot of it's noise through a sound card. If your using amps then try turning the speaker level on the computer up and the gain on your amps down. This should strengthen the signal coming out of the computer and hopefully drown out the computer noise before it gets to the amps.

Comment

I think the reason I don't hear the static when using MediaEngine is because ME adjusts both the MAIN and WAV volumes at the same time but winamp only adjusts the main. There still may be an underlying noise problem, but it's not that bad, and I have bigger problems I need to fix first anyway. I would still like to know how to "ground the soundcard" as someone suggested in one of the first replys.
              -AL
              * 2000 Ford Expedition

Comment

Originally posted by -al-
                I would still like to know how to "ground the soundcard" as someone suggested in one of the first replys.

Dig a hole in the garden and bury it.

*sorry! couldn't resist

Comment

I don't know of to many ways to ground a cound card. I think the key is to make sure your motherboard is properly grounded because that is where your sound card will ground to. It might also ground through your outputs on the sound card which is probably what is causing the noise. I threw in a ground loop isolator on my sound card output before it got to my amp and it took care of the problem. Good luck on grounding the sound card though...

Comment

I had to ground my sound card in Mk3 of my carputer.

The steel plate that runs down the back of the sound card you would normally screw into the case is what you need to ground.
                    In my system, I pulled out of an old case the rack that you screw the cards to (initially to keep the cards steady) and then a cable went from that rack to the same place my amps were earthed - Solved a whole load of problems, including noise!!!!

Hope this helps
                    Best regards,

Darren Thrower
                    http://www.percyt.com/mp3player.htm

Comment

Originally posted by percyt2k
                      I pulled out of an old case the rack that you screw the cards to (initially to keep the cards steady) and then a cable went from that rack to the same place my amps were earthed - Solved a whole load of problems, including noise!!!!

Hope this helps
                      You mean like where the all the PCI cards are screwed to? Like so the connections stick out of the back of the comp. You attached a wire to the screw that holds the card in and grounded that?

Comment

Yep that's right!!

If you think about it, a pc case is steel, the power supply casing is steel therefore that means the pc case is grounded (like a cars chassis and shell are negative ground) so when you put a card in a pc, it's designed so that the steel edge plate earths itself to the case.

Now if you're making a plastic case (or something other than a pc case) there's no way those cards can earth can they? So run a wire from that screw that holds the card in to the same place that your amps are earthed/grounded/negative lead goes and see what happens.

What I did was attach the wire to the cards, started the car, pc etc and listened for the noise then just touched the wire to the amp grounding point and the noise disappeared!!!

Hope this helps!!
                        Best regards,

Darren Thrower
                        http://www.percyt.com/mp3player.htm

Comment

Cool - I'll try it tonight after work.
                          -AL
                          * 2000 Ford Expedition

Comment

Working...
                          X