Turn on thump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn on thump

When my pc boots up, I get a very loud THUMP from all the speakers. It is so loud I am worried it could damage the speakers. I have my soundcard going directly into the amps. I guess I could delay the remote turn on of the amps so they turn on AFTER the pc boots, but that is controled by the opus, and I dont know if you could change that timer.
    -AL
    * 2000 Ford Expedition
    * EPIA M10000/512 meg RAM, Win XP PRO, 90w OPUS, 80 gig HD
    * TM-710VGT LCD, Wireless mouse, keyboard
    * M-Audio Sound Card, 2 Alumapro 10" subs, 2 PPI Amps (1kW)

I have this too. I've got a switch wired in so that I can turn the amps on/off separately from the computer. Useful if i go into a shop or something, can leave the computer on but turn the amps off to save some power

Garry
    Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
    www.aimee.cc

Comment

I have the same problem. I am not sure if grounding the Computer, PSU and the amps at the same spot help or not. I may try it out and let you guys know.
      2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
      89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
      Y2K Accord Dell GX150
      RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
      EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

try switchin the amps on with the power from your psu?dunno if it will work, but worth a try

Comment

You'd need to delay the power-up of the amps, have them come on *after* the computer powers up. The amps should always be the last thing powered on, and the first thing powered off. I know this has been brought up before, just don't recall any "hands off" solutions, other than possibly a time-delay relay to get rid of the turn on thump.

Comment

Just to add...I get a "turn on thump" and a ""switch off whine" come through my speakers/amp.

Only real way I guess is to have it on a separate switch, which you can turn on/off after the computer is turned on and before it turns off.

Garry
            Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
            www.aimee.cc

Comment

Originally posted by Confused
              Just to add...I get a "turn on thump" and a ""switch off whine" come through my speakers/amp.

Only real way I guess is to have it on a separate switch, which you can turn on/off after the computer is turned on and before it turns off.

Garry
              So do I, my sub gives it one hell of a thump when you switch on, I used to get a crack sound on statup, but thats gone now

My amp is connected to my ignition, so only comes on now when I start the car, the pc is via a inverter which I have to switch o nfirst

Ron
              www.fsplanes.net NEW site

AMD XP 1800+ / 256mb ram ddr / 2 x 60gig hdd / Asus mobo micro ATX / GF-FX5200 / BU 303 GPS reciever / dlink usb radio

Software:
              Window's XP SP1 / USB Radio / Destinator v2 / Mediacar / 3000 mp3's / 30 movies

Comment

I had this in Mk3 of my carputer - I did have a solution but never got round to setting it up.

Basically, what you need is a low wattage/ampage/votlage relay that is wired up to your serial port. Someone told me they could write a program that would control the lines of the serial port to bring the voltage up on a pin (DSR, RTS etc etc) to operate the relay then wire in the amp remote wire to the other side of the relay.
                When the pc boots up the amps are turned off so there is no thump, in the start up folder this program runs, the pin on the serial port goes high, closes the relay and the amp turns on. When the pc is shut down, the program ends, the pin goes low, the relay opens and the amps are turned off, before the pc does and therefore no shutdown thump.

I think i've still got the VB program he sent me (never did try it!) i'll take a look tonight when I get home.

Please mail me at [email protected] if you are interested.

Hope this helps
                Best regards,

Darren Thrower
                http://www.percyt.com/mp3player.htm

Comment

hmm i recon a relay off one of the molex connectors from the comp. ill try when i put mine in, but wont be for a few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by percyt2k
                    I had this in Mk3 of my carputer - I did have a solution but never got round to setting it up.

Basically, what you need is a low wattage/ampage/votlage relay that is wired up to your serial port. Someone told me they could write a program that would control the lines of the serial port to bring the voltage up on a pin (DSR, RTS etc etc) to operate the relay then wire in the amp remote wire to the other side of the relay.
                    When the pc boots up the amps are turned off so there is no thump, in the start up folder this program runs, the pin on the serial port goes high, closes the relay and the amp turns on. When the pc is shut down, the program ends, the pin goes low, the relay opens and the amps are turned off, before the pc does and therefore no shutdown thump.

I think i've still got the VB program he sent me (never did try it!) i'll take a look tonight when I get home.

Please mail me at [email protected] if you are interested.

Hope this helps
                    Well, this sounds like a great solution. I was going toadd 2 external time delay relays (delay ON and delay OFF), but this would be a bit bulky. As a side note...The m-audio sound card has a much worse thump than the onboard VIA sound outputs.
                    -AL
                    * 2000 Ford Expedition
                    * EPIA M10000/512 meg RAM, Win XP PRO, 90w OPUS, 80 gig HD
                    * TM-710VGT LCD, Wireless mouse, keyboard
                    * M-Audio Sound Card, 2 Alumapro 10" subs, 2 PPI Amps (1kW)

Comment

Sound like a hard solution for me. I still have the HU in the car. I think on shutdown I just have to hit the the radio's power button then the PC's power button.
                      2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                      89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                      Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                      RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                      EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Nice way to keep it simple MatrixPC!

Comment

Anti-Thump Sequencer

A cheap possible solution might be to use a kit:

Parallel Kit or
                          Parallel Kit w/Enclosure

This will allow you to sequence the power-up of up to eight components. I have experimented with the software a little to see if this might work for this application. There is a DOS batch file in the DOS examples that powers up the relays in a delay type sequence. This could be modified and put in the Start Up folder to turn on the amps during boot. They have also included C code in the dos examples so that you can write your own code to take care of the relay sequence. Included in the software is a Win based program but I could not get it to automatically turn on relays. The one problem with this set-up is size. I will continue to search for smaller and cheaper alternatives, but this may be a good short term solution
                          ------------------------------------------------------
                          Car PC - If you have to ask why, you'll never understand.
                          XAA289.com

Comment

Working...
                          X