DVD drive adapter question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD drive adapter question

I have just plugged my SR-8186-B slim slotload DVD player with modified allmac adapter p/n:820-1050-A and one of the capacitor went postal (circled), smoke everywhere. Not Happy. When I removed the remnance of the destroyed cap. I double checked the adapter for any damage. Checked it with a meter and it seemed to be ok. Plugged it all back in and the adapter and DVD player work fine. Question is, is this cap really needed? Should I replace it or not bother?
    I haven't really played with SMD stuff before but it shouldn't be a problem replacing. Just to confirm, the value is 330uF?
    Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

How much voltage did you apply?

Those caps should not see enough juice to blow!
    current projects

Comment

Originally posted by DodgeCummins
      How much voltage did you apply?

Those caps should not see enough juice to blow!
      5V. I powered it from my pc supply in the home computer. As I said, it smoked, I pulled it out, removed the faulty component, checked it and tried it again and it works. All I can think is that the cap was faulty or there was something shorting it out. I didn't see any thing that would have caused it before I plugged it in.

Comment

Bump.... anyone got any comments or can confirm the value of the destroyed component?

Comment

Working...
        X