Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6-channel in Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 6-channel in Linux

    I just got my car computer parts in and i am in the process of installing everything ( pictures will come soon hopefully )
    one thing that has been holding me up though has been the audio situation... i have the EPIA M10000 Mobo and i was planning on useing the on-board AC97 based audio to hook up to my head units aux input. i have run into a problem though... i don't know how to make it 6-channel audio. i have done some reading on the AC97 audio chipset and it seems that most versions of this audio chipset are jumper controlled instead of the typical software controlled 6-channel audio that you get from the standard C-Media chipset and such. i was just wondering if any of you have any suggestions on this... oh, and i'm running Mandrake Linux 9.1 (that makes it a little more difficult). Any response would be great... thanks.

  • #2
    Originally posted by steriophonic
    i was planning on useing the on-board AC97 based audio to hook up to my head units aux input.

    Well unless your headunit has a six channel aux input wouldn't this be pretty pointless ?
    [H]4 Life
    My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
    It will be done sometime in the next generation.
    I'm a lesbian too.
    I am for hire!

    Comment


    • #3
      wouldn't really be pointless... just take two of the audio jacks and make them left and right, and wire those to the left and right of the aux in on the head unit, just don't know how to work with the outputs of the audio jacks in linux

      Comment


      • #4
        look into the alsa drivers in linux
        '98 Explorer Sport
        http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
        AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
        80% done

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by steriophonic
          wouldn't really be pointless... just take two of the audio jacks and make them left and right, and wire those to the left and right of the aux in on the head unit, just don't know how to work with the outputs of the audio jacks in linux

          If you would be doing this, why wouldn't you just use stereo output ?
          [H]4 Life
          My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
          It will be done sometime in the next generation.
          I'm a lesbian too.
          I am for hire!

          Comment


          • #6
            I think what the monkey is getting at, is that if your head unit doesn't support 6 channel audio, how are you ever going to get 6 seperate signals to your speakers?
            A digital mind lost in an analog world.

            Learn to ask smart questions!
            http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

            My car PC: The Lost Cause!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by fluffy2097
              I think what the monkey is getting at, is that if your head unit doesn't support 6 channel audio, how are you ever going to get 6 seperate signals to your speakers?
              yup
              [H]4 Life
              My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
              It will be done sometime in the next generation.
              I'm a lesbian too.
              I am for hire!

              Comment

              Working...
              X