Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complicated Audio Quality Problem

Ok Here is the Problem

I have a ground loop, so I use a ground loop isolator to silence the horrible buzzing.

I have four stock speakers, two tweeters and two Subs.
    With the ground loop isolator in place the subs sound like crap, the bass is not as deep and if I turn the sound up to compensate they get distorted, if I take the the ground loop isolator out everything sounds great except for the buzzing which is really annoying especially with the tweeters.

It doesn't sound like that big of an issue but it has been bugging me for like 2 weeks, to the point where I don't even want to use my computer anymore.

Originally posted by StangBoyCIC
    Ok Here is the Problem

I have a ground loop, so I use a ground loop isolator to silence the horrible buzzing.

I have four stock speakers, two tweeters and two Subs.
    With the ground loop isolator in place the subs sound like crap, the bass is not as deep and if I turn the sound up to compensate they get distorted, if I take the the ground loop isolator out everything sounds great except for the buzzing which is really annoying especially with the tweeters.

It doesn't sound like that big of an issue but it has been bugging me for like 2 weeks, to the point where I don't even want to use my computer anymore.
    Check and make sure all your grounds are really good. Make sure your battery is grounded good. If you are sure all your grounds are good you might try an isolator for the DC power side. Best bet is to still make sure everything is grounded properly.
    2007 Tahoe
    Opus with iBase 896 and Pentium M 735 Transflective Xenarc Alpine DVA-9861, PXA-H900, Sinfoni 45X2 (2) 90x2, Genesis Dual Mono, JL 1000/1 (2), Focal Be tweeters, ScanSpeak Revelator Mids, Dynaudio MW170, Dayton 12" Ref.

My Install

Comment

I had a ground loop as well. I just went to radio shack, bought two audio isolation transformers, (one for left and one for right channel), and made a small audio isolation box. I used RCA jacks on the box, but you can use any type of connector you want. I think the important thing with audio transformers is to get the impedeance right. These seem to be ok. Hope this helps.

Comment

Everything is grounded properly, and two audio isolation transformers would have the same problem I have with the ground loop isolator, the subs would sound like crap. Thanks for you help but those are not the answers I am looking for.

Comment

Everything is grounded properly, and two audio isolation transformers would have the same problem I have with the ground loop isolator, the subs would sound like crap. Thanks for you help but those are not the answers I am looking for.
          Is the sound there when the amps are not connected? Have you tried diffrent RCAs? Are they running by the dc power lines for the amp/computer? Have you tried a diffrent audio source other that the computer?
          2007 Tahoe
          Opus with iBase 896 and Pentium M 735 Transflective Xenarc Alpine DVA-9861, PXA-H900, Sinfoni 45X2 (2) 90x2, Genesis Dual Mono, JL 1000/1 (2), Focal Be tweeters, ScanSpeak Revelator Mids, Dynaudio MW170, Dayton 12" Ref.

My Install

Comment

Yes, i've tried most all of that, I also wired the inverter to a separate battery, this fixed the buzzing but I can't leave it like that permanently.

What I'm looking for at this point is a way to filter the buzzing from going into the tweets and factory speakers but let it pass to the subs, I think in taking the buzzing out the isolator is also taking out a part of the low frequencies the subs need to sound good. I have two RCA's coming out of the computer into the aux of my head unit, so how would I go about doing this

Comment

Yes, i've tried most all of that, I also wired the inverter to a separate battery, this fixed the buzzing but I can't leave it like that permanently.

What I'm looking for at this point is a way to filter the buzzing from going into the tweets and factory speakers but let it pass to the subs, I think in taking the buzzing out the isolator is also taking out a part of the low frequencies the subs need to sound good. I have two RCA's coming out of the computer into the aux of my head unit, so how would I go about doing this
              I suggest that your try to get rid of the noise problem before it enters your audio path. So the computer is powered by and inverter and the noise is not there when it is hooked up to a seperate battery? Then may be you might want to fillter the DC power that is going into the inverter. The more you leave your audio signal alone the better things will sound.
              2007 Tahoe

My Install

Comment

Thats sounds like its worth trying, how would I go about doing that though?

Comment

If you get no noise from an outside battery we know its not a hardware problem. I had to resolder the RCA's to the PCB on my old Kenwood last week to get rid of some buzzing.

You may want to look at how your battery is grounded to your car chassis/engine. Adding another ground wire from your car battery will sometimes help.

Is there noise when the car is off too? Or just alternator whine?

Search rec.audio.car in Google groups and there are thousands of good posts about ground loops. I'll see if I can dig up a website with a well written checklist too.

Comment

Hay StangBoyCIC, what type of case is your car pc (plasic or meatal)? If it is metal you have to ground the case with at the same size wire or bigger than the wire for the inverter. also the ground wire from the computer case needs to be as short as possible to the chassie of the car. make shur as well the connection point to the car's chassie has no paint or rust.
                    Opus case. MB 899 core duo 2.0ghz
                    Dual vga out, 400 gb hard drive, Centrefuse front end
                    zapco 1000.4 for zapco 6.5 componets
                    zapco 1100.1 for 2 13" W6.

Comment

One possible problem is that your inverter isn't hooked up well. If you're using pluging into the car's original wire harness, that might be the problem. Try running power directly from the battery (don't forget a fuse), and find really good ground.

Comment

I just bought a ground loop isolator. Will it make my subs sound like **** now? I haven't tested it yet. I just figured it was a good thing to buy.

Comment

StangBoy,

I had the same problem. I inserted a 3wire-to-2wire AC plug adapter (the kind that gets rid of the ground wire) on the AC output of my DC/AC inverter (which powers the "brick" that feeds regulated +12v to my carputer) and MOST of the annoying buzz went away...... I tried re-connecting the 3rd (AC ground) wire to the chassis, but it made no difference. Go figure.
                          MikeH

Comment

A "ground Loop" can also be cause my voltage differantals between outputs (most common in multi amp systems) I had one till I rebalanced all the amp inputs to be the same. you can also use a number of high end ground loop isolaters Ie the one from audio source that has settings for floating input/outputs and sub sonic filters. but if you are running more then one amp or a computer into an EQ into more then one amp then I strongly suggest you check all your inputs

Start with the amp gain at Zero, turn the Computer volume to max then bump the amp gain till you have the volume you want and see if you still have noise.. repete for all the other gains,

When I was running a Head Unit into a Pioneer DEQ 9000 into 6 amps it took forever to balance all the input but when I was done I have ZERO noise and 142 DB (more then loud enough)

Comment

You will want to make sure that your invertor, amps, and the casing of your computer/power supply are all grounded to the same point on the chassis. I can almost guarantee that once this is done, you will eliminate most, if not all, of the buzzing/alternator whine.

Garry
                              Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
                              www.aimee.cc

Comment

Working...
                              X