Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1 GHz. Via Board

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1 GHz. Via Board

    Hi Folks,

    I'm about to purchase a 1 GHz. sytem and was wondering if anyone is running this with XP? Is the system fast enough? I currently have a PII 366 Laptop running XP and it is kinda slow. Is the VIA system board worth the expense?

    Thanks for your opinions.
    Stop Buying New Music CD's.
    Hit The RIAA where it lives.

    Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

  • #2
    Originally posted by chut
    Hi Folks,

    I'm about to purchase a 1 GHz. sytem and was wondering if anyone is running this with XP? Is the system fast enough? I currently have a PII 366 Laptop running XP and it is kinda slow. Is the VIA system board worth the expense?

    Thanks for your opinions.

    Hi,

    I was in the same situation as you.... I was using my 366 MHz Laptop for carputer testing / experimenting (with XP Pro installed.. a little slow to boot up - but stable as anything).

    I broke down and bought a Via M-10000 and installed 256 Meg Ram. I haven't had a time to time it yet, but it cold boots very fast. In my opinion it is worth the money. The USB 2.0 and Firewire are great features of the M-10000.

    I don't know know if others have had the same problem - but 3 out of 4 times I tried installing XP on my VIA system, it locked up... the 4th time it went on cleanly and I haven't had any problems since.

    Comment


    • #3
      What were you using as a sound card with your laptop? The internal card or a USB soundcard? Just wondering.

      Comment


      • #4
        RE: Boot time of your M1K

        Hold on,

        I'm still waiting for this darn thing to finish starting up. I have ran both ME and XP on this M1000 and XP takes a while. I haven't started stripping it down yet though.

        I'll keep you posted. I may just put ME on though.

        GinoRP

        Originally posted by jasonsp6
        Hi,

        I was in the same situation as you.... I was using my 366 MHz Laptop for carputer testing / experimenting (with XP Pro installed.. a little slow to boot up - but stable as anything).

        I broke down and bought a Via M-10000 and installed 256 Meg Ram. I haven't had a time to time it yet, but it cold boots very fast. In my opinion it is worth the money. The USB 2.0 and Firewire are great features of the M-10000.

        I don't know know if others have had the same problem - but 3 out of 4 times I tried installing XP on my VIA system, it locked up... the 4th time it went on cleanly and I haven't had any problems since.
        VIA M-1K Nh; Lilliput 7" Touch; Earthmate GPS; Slim Slot DVD/CDRw; OBD-2.COM; ATI-Pro TV; RF Wireless KB; USB Thumb 802.11b; 7"x3.5"x7" Lexan Case; 40G Laptop HD; PW-70 w/ITPS; Headliner TV Antenna; XPHome; Delorme Streets 2003/Topo USA

        Comment


        • #5
          Cool!
          Keep 'em coming!
          Stop Buying New Music CD's.
          Hit The RIAA where it lives.

          Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

          Comment


          • #6
            Get an EPIA 1Ghz NEHEMIA version.

            on board soundcard is great already...

            http://www.mini-itx.com/reviews/nehemiah/

            Note: Coyote also hae this board....

            Power ~30W for the whole system
            Suspend To Ram STR working perfectly (you get a boot in 2 sec & you don't lose your info!)
            Small 17x17
            Cheap
            powerfull enough for dvd/divx (even big)/mp3/gps...
            VGA card allow 16/9 res
            ...

            USE XP pro & STR!!!
            Epia M9000, lili 7" vga&touch & 2xTM-7002S compo, camera with reversed image, 2.5" 60 GB, 256Mb DDR, Opus 90W, GPS usb... AND MEDIACRUISER of course!

            Comment


            • #7
              Hi,
              I have had the EPIA 1Ghz NEHEMIA for over 5 months now and i haven't had any problems with it. I'm running XP pro and I let it go into standby mode when I shut it off using my Opus power surply. I tell you when I turn my system on it comes back up in less than 10 secs. It's great. I'm also using usb sound to my head unit.

              Reggie
              http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/2045209

              Comment


              • #8
                xp works fine. If your an eye candy loving person, get a 512ddr stick and change the video settings in the bios.
                Falcon cr53 w/ via epia m10000. Nokia 3650 blutooth phone.
                Better than winamp. Click here for qcd player.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by GinoRP
                  Hold on,

                  I'm still waiting for this darn thing to finish starting up. I have ran both ME and XP on this M1000 and XP takes a while. I haven't started stripping it down yet though.

                  I'll keep you posted. I may just put ME on though.

                  GinoRP

                  What hardware are you using, besides the Via M-10000. I am curious to compare hardware and see why your setup is so slow. My 366 PII laptop with 64 meg ram can load a default XP Pro install in 34 sec, including POST. I know my Via setup is a little quicker to boot.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I am very happy my new M-10000 and WinXP Pro. I had planned on a microATX P4/Celeron mobo with all the "fixins", but things just kept getting too complicated.

                    I am very surprised that the onboard sound sounds great with my car stereo. YMMV.
                    Scott

                    MCS-PC
                    Epia M-10000
                    XP Pro; 512MB; 60GB (2.5")
                    Panasonic Slot SlimDVD/CD-RW
                    7" Lilliput (Touchscreen)
                    Casetronic C137 w/ 90W PSU (Temp)
                    19V Laptop Adapter (Temp)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Does anyone know if the VIA EPIA CL10000 has the 1 GHz Nehemiah C3 processor or the 1 GHz Ezra-T C3 processor? Is there a way to tell the difference?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        i'm running a ezra m9000 and it's fairly quick to boot.. haven't used bootvis on it yet....
                        how long can you have the pc on str before it really starts draining the battery?
                        Car: 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S
                        Mods: Yep
                        Carputer: VIA M9000 | Opus 150 | 512MB PC2100 | 60GB Notebook HD | Slim/Slot DVD/CDRW | Audigy2NX | Xenarc 700TSV | (2) DSCustoms DS700HRS (in trunk) | SMC USB 802.11b | CoPilot | DLink FM tuner | Cliffnet

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm using the Nemhiwatchamacallit M-1000 with a 5200RPM 40G laptop HD and Slim-Slot CDRW-DVD drive and dropped in 256M of DDR. Also have a ATI Stereo TV tuner and the ITPS and PW-70. It's all crammed into a box 7"x7"x3.25". I just made the case out of 1/8" Lexan and have to mount everything. The box will tuck up under the stearing column so it had to be small.

                          Originally posted by jasonsp6
                          What hardware are you using, besides the Via M-10000. I am curious to compare hardware and see why your setup is so slow. My 366 PII laptop with 64 meg ram can load a default XP Pro install in 34 sec, including POST. I know my Via setup is a little quicker to boot.
                          VIA M-1K Nh; Lilliput 7" Touch; Earthmate GPS; Slim Slot DVD/CDRw; OBD-2.COM; ATI-Pro TV; RF Wireless KB; USB Thumb 802.11b; 7"x3.5"x7" Lexan Case; 40G Laptop HD; PW-70 w/ITPS; Headliner TV Antenna; XPHome; Delorme Streets 2003/Topo USA

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            XP Slow on my nM-1000 solution

                            Originally posted by jasonsp6
                            What hardware are you using, besides the Via M-10000. I am curious to compare hardware and see why your setup is so slow. My 366 PII laptop with 64 meg ram can load a default XP Pro install in 34 sec, including POST. I know my Via setup is a little quicker to boot.
                            I think I just figured out what is slowing down my 1Ghz M-1000. While installing my ATI TV Tuner card it said my performance would be degridaded because DMA was not supported by my hard drive. The properties for the controller said I was using PIO. I'm going to blame in on my IDE-Laptop Hard-Drive Cable from the UK.

                            If anyone knows about this problem, let me know.

                            Gino
                            VIA M-1K Nh; Lilliput 7" Touch; Earthmate GPS; Slim Slot DVD/CDRw; OBD-2.COM; ATI-Pro TV; RF Wireless KB; USB Thumb 802.11b; 7"x3.5"x7" Lexan Case; 40G Laptop HD; PW-70 w/ITPS; Headliner TV Antenna; XPHome; Delorme Streets 2003/Topo USA

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Personally I wouldn't abandon the laptop setup for a epia setup. Before I was forced to sell all of the parts to my laptop based system, I thought it was far superior to any epia based system. 850Mhz pIII, 512 ram, 80 gig space, cd-rw/dvd, firewire, 32meg ati M4 video, sound, 2 usb, ethernet, 802.11g, auto startup controller (simple relay) anyway you can pick up parted out lappys with busted LCDs really cheap on ebay I had a dell inspiron 8000 and I originally purchased it for $175 with 850mhz, 128 ram, 10g, cd-rw/dvd with a busted lcd.....
                              -- WireSix, Inc. --
                              MP3Car Lives Here!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X