Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creative webcam good enough for rearview?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creative webcam good enough for rearview?

Well, I got the video import component of my front end to work last night, but the Logitech QuickCam Express that I have won't do well in near-direct sunlight. I goes south big time. I'm working on this for a rearview camera setup.

What do you guys think about this thing?

Creative WebCam NXPro

I have it at our store, and it seems to be a good deal, but of course I don't want to spring for it if it's not the quality I'm looking for.

Anybody try it out yet?
    The ALEXIS Project
    MP3---VIDEO---GPS---REARVIEW---OBD---SKINNING
    Color Coding :
    DONE / MOSTLY DONE / BASE FEATURES / WORKING CONCEPT / NO CODE COMPLETED

Originally posted by deadweasel
    Well, I got the video import component of my front end to work last night, but the Logitech QuickCam Express that I have won't do well in near-direct sunlight. I goes south big time. I'm working on this for a rearview camera setup.

What do you guys think about this thing?

Creative WebCam NXPro

I have it at our store, and it seems to be a good deal, but of course I don't want to spring for it if it's not the quality I'm looking for.

Anybody try it out yet?
    There is a company called intelli spy-cam or something.
    They also sell on ebay.

My brother uses alot of their camera's and swears by them.

Give that a shot...

-Mario

Comment

The important thing for rear view cameras is that they should provide a reversed image. Check out digitalww - he has several to choose.

Comment

Originally posted by wi77iam
        The important thing for rear view cameras is that they should provide a reversed image. Check out digitalww - he has several to choose.
        Now there's something I hadn't thought about. Reversed image? Why? If it's the negative effect I need for some reason, I have the ability to program that into my app. Or am I misinterpreting what you're talking about?
        The ALEXIS Project
        Color Coding :

Comment

Originally posted by deadweasel
          Now there's something I hadn't thought about. Reversed image? Why? If it's the negative effect I need for some reason, I have the ability to program that into my app. Or am I misinterpreting what you're talking about?
          You want to look at a mirror image of a rear-view camera so that objects (other vehicles) appear on the correct side of the screen. A car coming up behind you on the passenger side will be on the left hand side of the screen when using a normal camera image. That would suck... not to mention being a little dangerous.

- Z
          It has to start somewhere... It has to start sometime.
          What better place than here? What better time than now?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Zack
            You want to look at a mirror image of a rear-view camera so that objects (other vehicles) appear on the correct side of the screen. A car coming up behind you on the passenger side will be on the left hand side of the screen when using a normal camera image. That would suck... not to mention being a little dangerous.

- Z

Hey, are you trying to make a functional rear view camera, I mean to actually use it while driving??? Or are you doing it just for wow factor and show and maybe to see how close you are to the car behind you when you parallel park. If you doing it to actually replace your rear view mirror then you need the reverse image. They go for about $50 on digitalww. If your doing it just for show, you can easily get a webcam for like $10 (staples has a sale on friday) and put that on your rear dash or mount it anywhere, record stuff when your friends are drunk in the car or taxi cab confessions or whatever, won't be real usefull as a rear view mirror. I have a creative webcam and it works pretty good, but just for show, not very usefull practically. Just a thought.
            My carputer

Comment

Originally posted by bankingdom
              Hey, are you trying to make a functional rear view camera, I mean to actually use it while driving??? Or are you doing it just for wow factor and show and maybe to see how close you are to the car behind you when you parallel park. If you doing it to actually replace your rear view mirror then you need the reverse image. They go for about $50 on digitalww. If your doing it just for show, you can easily get a webcam for like $10 (staples has a sale on friday) and put that on your rear dash or mount it anywhere, record stuff when your friends are drunk in the car or taxi cab confessions or whatever, won't be real usefull as a rear view mirror. I have a creative webcam and it works pretty good, but just for show, not very usefull practically. Just a thought.
              Hoo boy. I just picked up that Creative cam for the heck of it. I was hoping it would make a good replacement. Bummer. Oh well, better cam for the desktop I guess.

For some reason I kept thinking "negative image" like reversed colors or something when it was metioned before, but now I understand. It's "mirrored." That, I think I can make happen programmatically as well. I wasn't intending to actually replace the rearview (yet), but it seemed that on a 15" LCD, it would provide a better view of things.
              The ALEXIS Project
              Color Coding :

Comment

Unorthodox but cheap

I know this thread is a few months old, but here's something that might be useful to someone trying to reverse an image. They call it a mounted roof prism. I don't know how it works or if it would work for this application, but hey, it's 4 bucks. The description looks to be the right thing, though.

Surplus AND closeout. How can you go wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by cafn8
                  I know this thread is a few months old, but here's something that might be useful to someone trying to reverse an image. They call it a mounted roof prism. I don't know how it works or if it would work for this application, but hey, it's 4 bucks. The description looks to be the right thing, though.

Surplus AND closeout. How can you go wrong?
                  That looks like a pretty nifty little doodad, but I think that thing would kill the video quality too much to be useful. As it is, I discovered that the Creative WebCam Monitor software gives direct access to deeper controls, such as image reversing. Once set, I can uninstall the software if needed, and the camera will maintain its setting. Set it and forget it! I like that in my mobile equipment!

After a couple of trial runs, it looks like the camera will perform pretty well during the day. Nighttime is another story, however. All I can see are the glaring headlights, but I guess that's all I really need anyhow. It just won't come in too handy if I deem it necessary to record the rearview after dark.
                  The ALEXIS Project
                  Color Coding :

Comment

That's cool. I'll admit that it would be a big kludge. As far as quality goes, I doubt it would degrade much. After all, this is quality optical stuff made for telescopes and such. That being said, though, it's best if you can avoid using one. I'd bet that one of those would collect a lot of dirt if mounted outside the car.

Comment

Working...
                    X