Flash card bootable drive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flash card bootable drive?

I'm in the process of mapping my hardware out for my carputer..

My Hardware:
    Epia M10000 Nehemiah
    SATA 80gig HardDrive
    1024meg of ram
    2 7" TFT Headrest Screens (already have)
    1 7" TFT Touchscreen
    Opus 150watt PSU (maybe, I might do a different route)
    Crossover and Amp (still not sure what kind)

I'm thinking about using a compact flash card for a bootable drive (like this one http://store.ituner.com/ituner/micoflidead.html ) for the OS only. I know the limatations of the flash cards writing ability so I'm wondering is there anyway to have this use the OS only (still go into hibernation) and write all data to the SATA HD? If not do you think writing the OS to the flashcard and on boot run the OS off a RamDrive (Would hate to lose 512 on a RamDrive but will if I have too)?
    www.DurangoSUV.com

Why don't you want to put the O/S on the SATA drive along with your data? I don't quite understand this one. Anyway, if you're running windows 98 or ME (i think me does it) you can tell windows to use a different drive for Swap file space. I think that's about all you can do. Now if you are running linux, that's a different story. If you're running XP, I don't think anything good will come from a flash card.
    Tidder

Try RevFE
    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Why in gods name do people think that booting from a CF card is a good idea?

This has been discussed at least 5 times before and the answer has not changed.

A CF card has a far slower transfer rate then a 5200 RPM drive. You would only slow your system substantialy by booting from a CF card. Boot from your SATA hard drive and save yourself the trouble.
      A digital mind lost in an analog world.

Learn to ask smart questions!
      http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

My car PC: The Lost Cause!

Comment

"Why don't you want to put the O/S on the SATA drive along with your data?"
        There are a few reasons for this..
        1) I wanted a faster boot time (regardless of what fluffy2097 says boot times with both FC and RamDrives are fast.. I have used both).
        2) Removable storage.. I would like the OS to be on it's own drive (but don't want to run two HD) cause the SATA drive will be removable to bring in the house/work to transfer files. Since most of my files are at work and I do not have access to wireless from there it's my only real option. I'd like access to atleast my XM and DVD if I forget to put the drive back in (and believe me this WILL happen.. Hehe I would forget my own head if it weren't attached).

3) Dependability. If for some reason my HD goes bad while driving with my kids in the back atleast I would have access to some functions with a FC or Ramdrive. (More likely to have a HD go back then a FC or Ram)

"A CF card has a far slower transfer rate then a 5200 RPM drive."

I don't know where you got your info from but it's wrong.. Unless you are reffering to "Burst" transfer rate..

Since there is no way around the FC writablity issue I'm guessing a RamDrive is the only other suggestion I made that is an option.. Has anyone copied an OS from a FC to a Ramdrive and booted? (Somehow I doubt it and I'll be the 1st to try) If so what kind of boot times are you seeing?

In any case, more suggestions would be great.. Maybe something I haven't thought of..
        www.DurangoSUV.com

Comment

use the cf cad as the swap drive and the pagfil.sys location. It'll perform much faster especially when booting from hibernation
          Falcon cr53 w/ via epia m10000. Nokia 3650 blutooth phone.
          Better than winamp. Click here for qcd player.

Comment

http://www.storagereview.com/article...WD740GD_2.html

Real world data transfer tests on serial ATA hard drives.

http://www.compactflash.org/

Maximum transfer rate for CF 9mb/s, Theoretical.

If that's not proof CF is slower, I don't know what is.
            A digital mind lost in an analog world.

Learn to ask smart questions!
            http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

My car PC: The Lost Cause!

Comment

I'm still very curious who has really done some testing.
              The question still remains: how fast CAN a compact flash card boot to windows 98se or XP ?

My question is : could the OS be put on a compact flash card en be the CF card be write protected ?

More reading can be done on:
              http://www.minervatech.net/reviews/silent_demo/

Comment

I saw on TechTV a while ago they had a flash hard drive about a gig or so. It was the size of a normal hard drive, but man did that thing boot up fast. As soon as they turned it on, you could blink your eyes and it was loaded and ready to go. It flew through the boot screens so fast you could barley tell what they were. The only downside besides the price was that if it lost power it lost all the info on it.

Comment

I'm using a CF drive. My reason to use it was to have a small read only system seperate from the data drive. The main problem with trying to use a Windows OS from cf or read only is Windows wants write access to a bunch of files just to open and use them. I'm using a simple linux install on mine. With the OS coming up read only I don't even bother with a shutdown controller, just power off. I am running a bit over 30 seconds from power on to playing music. I'm thinking of making my mp3 drive removable as well.

Comment

Originally posted by eugenen
                    I'm using a CF drive. My reason to use it was to have a small read only system seperate from the data drive. The main problem with trying to use a Windows OS from cf or read only is Windows wants write access to a bunch of files just to open and use them. I'm using a simple linux install on mine. With the OS coming up read only I don't even bother with a shutdown controller, just power off. I am running a bit over 30 seconds from power on to playing music. I'm thinking of making my mp3 drive removable as well.

I boot from key to music in about 22 seconds

ata100 5400 40gig hard drive
                    windows xp

it would be faster if the database refresh of ME2.0 didnt take so long

Comment

I think there are some algorithms availble on Microsofts website designed to reduce the number of memory writes to flash disk
                      My Celica Carputer Install

Comment

My EPIA 5000 takes about 20 seconds to post so I don't think I can get down too close to 22 secs. I've only been using linux for a couple months so I'm not the best for optimizing it either. My main advantage with my current setup is eliminating the need for any shutdown system. I've simply set the MB bios setup to power on as soon as it sees power.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.. After doing a little research it seems the only solution for running an OS off a CF is Windows Embedding which I'm still not 100% sure is read only but seems to be.. Microsoft puts out a eval version that I'll test out once I get my system together but buying this OS seems out of the question as it's for OEM device builders only..

I think my 1st try will be storing my OS on the CF and running it off a RamDrive.. I wish the mini-itx boards supported 2gig of ram.. It would make this option more appealing..
                          www.DurangoSUV.com

Comment

Originally posted by The Durango Kid
                            Thanks for the replies.. After doing a little research it seems the only solution for running an OS off a CF is Windows Embedding which I'm still not 100% sure is read only but seems to be.. Microsoft puts out a eval version that I'll test out once I get my system together but buying this OS seems out of the question as it's for OEM device builders only..

I think my 1st try will be storing my OS on the CF and running it off a RamDrive.. I wish the mini-itx boards supported 2gig of ram.. It would make this option more appealing..
                            You mean the only solution for running a Windows OS not the only solution for an OS period.

Comment

eugenen I stand corrected.. Yes for running a Windows9X or greater OS..
                              www.DurangoSUV.com

Comment

Working...
                              X