Mounting Hardware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting Hardware

Any suggestions on hardware to mount/secure a car PC? I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do, but I am not sure exactly what it's called or where the best place to get it is. I think I want to use that approx. 1" wide flexible metel with evenly spaced holes every 1/2" or so. Does anyone know what this stuff is called? I'm thinking of looking at the home depot or lowes tomorrow, but I don't even know what it's made for or where to look? I know it comes with aftermarket intake systems for cars often, and for some reason I picture a similar thing used to work with drains in sinks. Anyone know what this stuff is called and/or where to get it? (what dept at a hardware store will help!)

OR, does anyone have a better idea for mounting hardware? I will be using a plastic case, so I can't mount by screwing in the case itself. The bottom is metal, I don't want removal to require removing the top of the case and the motherboard. The best bet will be something that sourrounds the computer and secures it to my trunk with minimal movement. I will probably put some sort of foam between the PC and the wall of the car as well.

The metal stuff with the holes at every 1/2 inch is called Plumbers Tape, at least that what I've ever heard anyone refer to it as. I think it's a pretty common item, any local hardware store would have it. Hope this helps
    My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
    2 Kicker Comp 10"
    Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
    Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
    Check it out?!

Comment

Cool...I'll check the plumbing section today! Thats what I thought it was for but I wasn't sure. Knowing what to seach for is a huge help. After you told me that I checked Google and it looks like you're right. It looks like it (or somethign similar) is also used for mounting HVAC ducts.

If anyone has an idea of better mounting hardware, please speak up! This plumbers tape looks pretty cheap, so worse case scenario I can take it down and redo it if anything better comes along. This seems perfect for my application because I plan to suspend it from the ceilling of my trunk. Once every month or two I find myself transporting a keg and i don't want the PC to get rolled over Suspending from the ceiling will clear it almost perfectly, and probably anything else I will squeze into my car.

Comment

I mounted my case and just about everything else with industrial strength velcro. I was going to use the plumbers tape (or pipe strapping, which comes in metal or plastic) also but I didn't need to because the velcro held so good.

Comment

Originally posted by wi77iam
          I mounted my case and just about everything else with industrial strength velcro. I was going to use the plumbers tape (or pipe strapping, which comes in metal or plastic) also but I didn't need to because the velcro held so good.
          Sounds like some pretty strong velcro! I htink I can picture the kind you used though - same kind that comes with the EZ pass. Are you mounting from the ceilng or from the side/bottom though? I can picture industrial strength velcro securing it to a side or a floor to keep it from moving, but I can't picture it holding it from the ceiling of the trunk like I plan to do. I'd be more worried about the adhesive holding the weight then the velcro. If you are suspending it like I want to do, how much does your case weigh? Mine is about 13lbs with the DVD drive and HD in it. I think the plumbers strapping is best for me! I will probably use the industrial velcro to secure the power inverter to the ceiling though.

Comment

Originally posted by swzine
            Sounds like some pretty strong velcro! I htink I can picture the kind you used though - same kind that comes with the EZ pass. Are you mounting from the ceilng or from the side/bottom though? I can picture industrial strength velcro securing it to a side or a floor to keep it from moving, but I can't picture it holding it from the ceiling of the trunk like I plan to do. I'd be more worried about the adhesive holding the weight then the velcro. If you are suspending it like I want to do, how much does your case weigh? Mine is about 13lbs with the DVD drive and HD in it. I think the plumbers strapping is best for me! I will probably use the industrial velcro to secure the power inverter to the ceiling though.
            My case weighs about 10 lbs and it is mounted on a board that stands vertical in the trunk, like a wall, so the case is stuck to the side. If you want to hang it from the underside of the trunk lid, the velcro would probably work. But even if you use that strapping, I would be concerned about slamming the trunk shut with your computer hanging there. That's probably not the best place to mount it.

Comment

Originally posted by wi77iam
              My case weighs about 10 lbs and it is mounted on a board that stands vertical in the trunk, like a wall, so the case is stuck to the side. If you want to hang it from the underside of the trunk lid, the velcro would probably work. But even if you use that strapping, I would be concerned about slamming the trunk shut with your computer hanging there. That's probably not the best place to mount it.
              The roof of the trunk that I am referring to is separate from the part that opens and closes. Plus, like many of the newer cars the trunk is very lightwieght, so there isn't too much slamming of it. If I slammed it I'd be worried that it would snap off

Comment

Working...
              X