Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm stoked!! But I need a few networking suggestions.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm stoked!! But I need a few networking suggestions.

I just got my new Via EPIA M10000 Nehemiah mobo yesterday! And I gotta tell you it's sweet. I put 512Mb of ram in it, while I'm waiting for my 1Gb to be delivered, and installed WinXP on it last night. I'm still waiting on various parts, ordered and undecided. So I used a 3.5" 7200rpm 4.5Gb hard drive that I had laying around, along with a full size 8x DVD-ROM drive to load the operating system.

I was astounded at how quickly WinXP boots on this machine!! The progress bar the bounces back and forth on the opening screen only made one left-to-right trip and on to the welcome screen. A few more seconds and I had desktop. Wow! I'm going to have to time it next time.

I played a DVD on it, and it looked great at 1024x768x32bit. It looked better than my desktop PC which is more powerful. Must be the hardware MPEG decoding.

Now I need to order a wireless ethernet adapter. I have an 802.11b access point at home, but I would like the greatest amount of compatibility/flexibility. So I'm looking for an 802.11g wireless device for my carPC. I've also thought about puting an access point in the car for my friends to link up to. If I do that, would it be easiest to forget the wireless card and go cat5 out of the mobo to the access point, then have my access point in the car talk to my home network (when I'm home)? Does that even make sense? Also, I hear that 802.11g will talk to 802.11b, but has anyone tried this? Any recommendations?

Also, would I have a better chance of finding an external antenna for an access point or a USB wireless card?

Thanks in advance,
    Tom
    So far:
    M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

I have a PCI wireless adapter, the aerial can be unscrewed and presumably an extension lead can be put in between.

it 802.11g, however have only g equiptment, but have managed to 'Access' 11b networks.

Comment

XP has amazing boot times. Thats one of the major selling points for winXP. My A+ kit PC has a 2 second post, and an install of winxp. The time to desktop is under 20 seconds. It's amazing. I think it's going to end up in my car when I've finished with it (The board is an Intel D845 in case someone wants one).

I'd put the access point in your house. There's no reason to do it any other way. Why have an access point in your car if it's not connected to the net? Also, acess points don't like connecting to eachother. You have to use bridging and it's a pain in the butt.

802.11 G is fully backwards compatable with 802.11B. In fact, I am currently on a laptop with wireless G connected to a wireless B network at my dentists office.

There are some PCMCIA cards that have external antenna jacks, but I can't tell you their names. I don't know if theres any USB dongles with antenna jacks. PCI card's are probably very easy to find an extra antenna. When you go changing antennas, make sure that you get one good enough to do something (there are external antennas out there that wil preform worse then the built in one. Research antenna gain).
      A digital mind lost in an analog world.

Learn to ask smart questions!
      http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

My car PC: The Lost Cause!

Comment

Cisco/orinco/etc pcmcia cards will have an external jack, and pci cards will most assuredly have an external jack, but I can't say I've ever seen a usb adapter with an external jack. I've heard that orinco/etc usb adapters are a pcmcia card in a plastic box with a pcmcia/usb bridge, but thats not first hand. You can find hacking guides to a lot of the popular usb wifi adapters to add an antenna to them. And as fluffy said, without setting up the two aps to bridge, they wont talk to eachother, and with them set to bridge, you wont be able to use them as an ap. You'd need two bridges and another ap if you wanted an ap in your car ap to get to your home network.
        -Nick

Comment

try looking at teletronics.com. I think they have a usb client adapter with an external connection. Also, I heard the orinoco usb clients are really just a usb to pcmcia adapter with a pcmcia orinoco card inside with an antenna connection on the card.

Comment

Just set your wireless card to ad-hoc when you want to share with your friends.

Comment

Almost A Ghost is right. all you had to do is set up either your's or your friends WiFi to peer to peer. Once it's set, the other WiFi will see it as an access point. They can connect to it if they choose to. That's how 00CelicaRuss and I did at the So Cal meet couple of weeks ago to share some files. There's no need to install an access point in your car.
              NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
              If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

With Windows XP also, you can have multiple Wireless network "profiles" set up. This means you can have one which is to connect to your AP at home (with the right SSID and WEP settings), and one which will work in Ad-Hoc mode at other times. This is how I have mine set up. My laptop also, although my laptop will talk to my home network, my work network, and will have the same Ad-Hoc settings as my carputer, so I can control my carputer/transfer files from my laptop within the car

Garry
                Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
                www.aimee.cc

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for clearing that up for me.

I was going to buy the D-Link DWL-G120, but no one has it in stock, and I don't want to wait 2-3 weeks. I'm looking at the Linksys WUSB54G, but I just have a personal dislike of Linksys products. Maybe I'll go look for the Orinco unit...

Thanks again,
                  Tom
                  So far:
                  M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

Update!

Originally posted by tom2112
                    Thanks to everyone for clearing that up for me.

I was going to buy the D-Link DWL-G120, but no one has it in stock, and I don't want to wait 2-3 weeks. I'm looking at the Linksys WUSB54G, but I just have a personal dislike of Linksys products. Maybe I'll go look for the Orinco unit...

Thanks again,
                    Tom
                    Here's an update. I broke down and ordered the new Linksys WUSB54G USB2 802.11g unit. It's supposed to be the latest greatest. I hate the darn thing. It's cheaply constructed, the antenna stinks, it doesn't have a external antenna jack. It fights with my Speedstream 802.11b access point. Drops connection to it alot. Drops speed from 11mps to 2mps constantly.

This is particularly odd, since my 802.11b PCMCIA card (Compaq) works like a champ. Ug!!

Back to the drawing board.
                    So far:

Comment

This may be a little late but have you thought about the D-Link Air Xpert DWL-AG520 Wireless PCI Adapter ? You can also find more stuff here . I personaly have and use the d-link DWL-AG250 and it works great. The only thing I don't like about it is the antena cable is not easily removable (no connectors-just soldered).

HTH
                      System:
                      Epia M1000 w/512MB PC2100, Xenarc 700TS, ATI 7500 PCI, OPUS 150 PSU, 2.5 40GB 5400 HDD, 802.11g PCI, Slim Slot DVDR,
                      Gyration RF Kybrd, OBDII adpt. + sftwr, XP pro, iGuidance/Royaltek GPS NAV, XMPCR, Kenwd KAC-8401 4 chnl amp, 10" pwd sub

Comment

Originally posted by UncleGeek
                        This may be a little late but have you thought about the D-Link Air Xpert DWL-AG520 Wireless PCI Adapter ? You can also find more stuff here . I personaly have and use the d-link DWL-AG250 and it works great. The only thing I don't like about it is the antena cable is not easily removable (no connectors-just soldered).

HTH
                        Thanks UG. But I have other plans for my PCI slot - I only have one. So I'm kinda stuck with a USB solution. I think I will take the Linksys unit apart, desolder the 2" piece-o-crap antenna and replace it with an aftermarket one. Hopefully that'll help. I saw a cool flat 48" unit that you can stuff in your headliner - now that ought to give me some good reception!
                        So far:

Comment

Thanks UG. But I have other plans for my PCI slot - I only have one. So I'm kinda stuck with a USB solution. I think I will take the Linksys unit apart, desolder the 2" piece-o-crap antenna and replace it with an aftermarket one. Hopefully that'll help. I saw a cool flat 48" unit that you can stuff in your headliner - now that ought to give me some good reception!
                          Providing the metal roof doesn't stop all radio waves travelling to the access point

I have that problem of trying to find somewhere to put my Belkin USB adapter so that it can see the house without any metal in the way.

Garry
                          Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
                          www.aimee.cc

Comment

Thanks UG. But I have other plans for my PCI slot - I only have one. So I'm kinda stuck with a USB solution. I think I will take the Linksys unit apart, desolder the 2" piece-o-crap antenna and replace it with an aftermarket one.
                            I've never had any luck with Linksys Wireless junk. Let me tell you what I use for my CarPC. I have a D-Link DWL-120+. It's a USB device, but it's only the 802.11b. But the cool thing about the higher end D-Link stuff is that it boasts 22mbps, whereas most 11b wireless devices are 11mbps. But whatever your hooking to has to be 22mbps as well. I actually have this USB device inside of my dashboard and haven't had any problems with connectivity yet. I can park outside my house and download stuff, outside my work place and get on the net, and drive around town and hit different (unprotected) wireless networks. Seems to work great for me!
                            Tidder

Try RevFE
                            The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Working...
                            X