Indash slot load DVD HELP!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indash slot load DVD HELP!!!!

I've got a Panasonic SR-8185-C DVD-Rom drive installed in my dash (Iíve Added a pic below)

Itís got a monster mash of cables and adapters (CRDOM - JAE adapter to a IDE to USB adapter with a 15' USB cable and a 12v to 5v regulator that has never worked)

All I want is a simple slot loaded DVD with 12v in and USB 1.1 and it to play DVD.

Any suggestions? What would be really keen is an off the shelf solution that I can modify
    Attached Files
    Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.

will USB 1.1 support the needed data transfer rate for smoth DVD playback? I am lucky that i had enough room for a full size DVD/CDrw in my truck so i didnt need any adapters. I am running USB 2.0 and the drive is getting the power from the computers power supply with a homemade extension. Dont know what this can do for your situation but that is another way it could be done. 5 wires in a loom going to the drive for me.

Comment

Originally posted by FAmonmouth
      will USB 1.1 support the needed data transfer rate for smoth DVD playback? I am lucky that i had enough room for a full size DVD/CDrw in my truck so i didnt need any adapters. I am running USB 2.0 and the drive is getting the power from the computers power supply with a homemade extension. Dont know what this can do for your situation but that is another way it could be done. 5 wires in a loom going to the drive for me.
      I was running dvd with usb 1.1 and it is really choppy.
      EPIA 800, DWW-7VGA LCD w/Touchscreen, 256mb ram, dvd rom, ati radeon 7000 video card, 80 gb 3.5" hard drive.

Comment

Originally posted by phreakness
        I've got a Panasonic SR-8185-C DVD-Rom drive installed in my dash (Iíve Added a pic below)

Itís got a monster mash of cables and adapters (CRDOM - JAE adapter to a IDE to USB adapter with a 15' USB cable and a 12v to 5v regulator that has never worked)

All I want is a simple slot loaded DVD with 12v in and USB 1.1 and it to play DVD.

Any suggestions? What would be really keen is an off the shelf solution that I can modify

That is a killer drive....slim and slot load. I've been looking at that one but chose a Pioneer slot load instead (mainly due to price). What about using a firewire card and an ide to FW adapter? That way you don't need that long run of ribbon cable. Also, you wouldn't have the choppy video that USB would provide. I have seen firewire cards at Best Buy for 34 bucks...and I'm sure they're cheaper elsewhere (on-line). I've seen the ide to firewire boxes on eBay and elsewhere. Maybe that would be better?

- Jeff
        95 Mustang GT Convertible
        87 Mustang GT Convertible
        My Project | Let's Go Mets! | SCT Tuners

Project Status [===#===] [Bezel and dash creation]

Comment

Originally posted by jzgt
          That is a killer drive....slim and slot load. I've been looking at that one but chose a Pioneer slot load instead (mainly due to price). What about using a firewire card and an ide to FW adapter? That way you don't need that long run of ribbon cable. Also, you wouldn't have the choppy video that USB would provide. I have seen firewire cards at Best Buy for 34 bucks...and I'm sure they're cheaper elsewhere (on-line). I've seen the ide to firewire boxes on eBay and elsewhere. Maybe that would be better?

- Jeff
          I would love to get a firewire card but as you can see in my picture i've got limited space and my PCI slot is taken by the vid car what i need to find is a PC/104 Firewire card but I doubt I can. And even then I dont think I can get enough bus power to spin that drive.
          Attached Files

Comment

The only way to go for sure is use a long 80 conductor IDE cable.

I've tried the firewire bridge to IDE and stuff, what a waste of time. The first time I tried the IDE, worked perfect, and I boot off CD to install XP.

I'm still trying to get a slim laptop drive like yours pictured soon. I had a the regular Pioneer slot load up front.
            SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
            GPSing - Digital Speedo
            Relocating headunit and extending faceplate
            Button app to Alt-Tab between two programs

Comment

Yea this S.O.B only works when it wants too. There has to be a solution. I've got about $500 in crap trying to find a solution. I think i'm jus going to go with a mobo with usb 2.0 or firewire or something!

Comment

LESLIEx317537 - You also realize that making a 15' IDE is way way out of spec and might well not work at all. A USB2.0 or Firewire bridge is much easier and requires very little work for most people.. I have two Firewire 400 bridges somewhere at home, but I haven't been able to locate them.. I am guessing they are in a box with random other computer parts, and that means I have a lot of box-hunting to do!
                1993 BMW 325is - 15.2sec

Comment

Sigma, search through old threads and you will find out it does work.

I have long seen many tries and trust me try the 15 foot IDE. People harrassed me until I posted pictures of my setup working awesome. I got it working in March of 2002 and it ran pefect since. Soon to be used in my new car.

BTW, I sold cables for a while, about 10 of them, I got mine for 16 buks int he city. It was awesome the day I brought it home and it worked. People thought it was amazing. hehehe amazing it is.

16 buks, boot from cd rom, very easy to run and hide, flat cable. Why bother with anyting else?
                  SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
                  GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

drop the 5 volt regulator and steal the 5 volts off the hard drive plug. Red wire if i am not mistaken.

Where can a get a 15' IDE cable?

Comment

I have searched for it. Its just there is such a high likelyhood that it WON'T work. But if it does, that's awesome for everyone who runs it. Flat cable isn't as good as USB2 on wires that are already in my dash, but it sure is easy. I think I am going with the USB2/Firewire->IDE adapters tho..
                      1993 BMW 325is - 15.2sec

Comment

Originally posted by amrit50
                        drop the 5 volt regulator and steal the 5 volts off the hard drive plug. Red wire if i am not mistaken.

Where can a get a 15' IDE cable?

I can possibly get more. But someone was selling htem onthe forums, I remember not too long ago.

[[[No no no. Taking the red 5 volt line of the PC power supply. You keep your PC on while the car is off? We are looking for a power source that stays on while car is off. HD power line should only be on while car is on, unless you spin your hd for fun. <--- Ignore this....]]] Wrong post
                        GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

Originally posted by SiGmA_X
                          I have searched for it. Its just there is such a high likelyhood that it WON'T work. But if it does, that's awesome for everyone who runs it. Flat cable isn't as good as USB2 on wires that are already in my dash, but it sure is easy. I think I am going with the USB2/Firewire->IDE adapters tho..

Unless the firewire or USB 2.0 can boot off CD to install XP, then it's really not for me. If it can with newer motherboards that great.

I donno if my MOBO can support a USB CD-ROM boot..

This is why:
                          A 40 wire ATA33 long IDE cable will NOT work.
                          A 80 wire ATA133 long IDE cable WILL work.

The extra wires ground the interferece, sorta elimination crosstalk like Cat5 cable does.
                          GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

very interested in his question also about ATA33 Vs. ATA133

Comment

What question?
                              GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

Working...
                              X