Zippy Keyboards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zippy Keyboards

I found this site that has a whole mess of small or specialy keyboards that might be of interest to us CarPC people.

http://www.myaopen.com/zipslimkey.html

Is a link to thier Zippy keyboard page. I guess they're a Zippy distributor. They've got an illuminated super-slim model that looks real attractive for $32.

They also have some other makes of keyboards, including the Traveler PSK-3400 that someone posted about yesterday.

Unfortunately, I still can't find the panacea of car keyboards: the RF, illuminated, small form factor, built in USB hub, and either USB or PS2.

I'm not asking for too much, am I?
    So far:
    M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Hey man, kind of OT, but I noticed you have a new Eclipse and was wondering if you have any pics of your setup. I have a 2000 GS and getting ready to install mine myself. =)
    Tres

Comment

Sorry

Originally posted by Rireal
      Hey man, kind of OT, but I noticed you have a new Eclipse and was wondering if you have any pics of your setup. I have a 2000 GS and getting ready to install mine myself. =)
      Tres

Sorry, but I'm still in the parts purchasing phase. I haven't installed anything yet. So there aren't any pictures yet. I didn't bother taking pictures of what I have so far setup on my table at home. Here's what I'm planning though:

EPIA Nehemiah M10000
      2.5" HDD (have a 10Gb, but will upgrade later)
      Opus 90 Watt PS
      1Gb PC2100 RAM
      Those four things stuffed under the driver's seat, wires running into the center console.

I already took out the clock from the center dash module - I don't need it, as I have a non-factory stereo. I'm going to put the DVD drive in the clock's space, with the wireless network adapter behind it, and maybe the GPS too.

I'm going to connect the DVD drive back to the mobo with an extra long 80 conductor IDE cable, the other stuff is USB.

Since the factory stereo was 2 DIN and my stereo is 1 DIN, I have an "open" DIN slot. That's where I'm going to put a digitalWW DWW-7VGA 7" VGA LCD in-dash unit. Wiring that back to the mobo, thru the center console with a 6' VGA extension cable.

Since I have a Sony head unit, I needed to buy a Sony XA-300 to give myself stereo ins. The XA-300 will probably live under the passenger seat.

I have a USB keypad that I don't know if I will use or not, and I am considering different ideas for the keyboard. My latest craze is to buy one of these Zippy compact keyboards and integrate it into my visor. I need to do some more research to see if that's going to work or not. I plan to go to the junkyard and buy a visor to rip apart.

I also have a button mouse (almost like the joystick set into IBM Thinkpad keyboards) that I haven't figured out where or if I will install it. With the touch screen monitor, I don't think I will need it, but I'm not sure.

I want to put in 2 webcams too. One pointing rear, in the upper left corner of the rear windshield, and one in the far right lower corner of the front windshield. They should help in driving/passing/backing up.

When I'm done the webcams (which should be rather small) and the in-dash LCD should be the only things that give away the fact that my car's not stock.

Then it's on to save up for the supercharger!
      So far:
      M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

Awesome man.
        I already have a M10000 with 256 MB of RAM (I was going to get 1 GB but chose 256 MB to have a quicker boot from hibernation) and a 30 GB 2.5" HD. I also have a 5.6" indash TFT that I had from a previous project that I put a touchscreen on it. I'm going to get DigitalWW's indash 7" VGA touchscreen later on. I'm not going to use any mouse or keyboard because of the touchscreen. If that turns out to be a problem I will probably be putting a mini keyboard in the visor too. My case, however, won't fit under the seat so I'm putting it to the right of the center console on the floor.
        Which SC are you getting? Do you post on Club3G (www.eclipseforums.org)?
        Tres

Comment

You can get the slim Zippy Illuminescent for less than $32 at Newegg.com
          Car: 2000 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t
          Carputer 2.0: removed. Back to stock.

Comment

Awesome man.
            I already have a M10000 with 256 MB of RAM (I was going to get 1 GB but chose 256 MB to have a quicker boot from hibernation) and a 30 GB 2.5" HD. I also have a 5.6" indash TFT that I had from a previous project that I put a touchscreen on it. I'm going to get DigitalWW's indash 7" VGA touchscreen later on. I'm not going to use any mouse or keyboard because of the touchscreen. If that turns out to be a problem I will probably be putting a mini keyboard in the visor too. My case, however, won't fit under the seat so I'm putting it to the right of the center console on the floor.
            Which SC are you getting? Do you post on Club3G (www.eclipseforums.org)?
            Tres
            Sounds good, man. Are you sure about the 256Mb of RAM? Are you running a trimmed down version of WinXP or 2K? If not, I would think you'd really need at least 512Mb.

What case are you using? Now I'm worried that mine won't fit under the seat either. I haven't measured it yet, since I don't even have the power supply yet.

I was thinking about trying to stuff it inside the center console somewhere. I saw directions for tearing the console out in the 3G forum a while back. I need to go print that out and see how much room there is in there. I was surprised how little room there is in the dash. I thought a lot of it would be wasted space. Guess not.

I used to read the 3G forum, but it was getting depressing. Too many cool performance parts and not enough money. I really gotta have that supercharger rig, but four grand is a lot of dough. Especially when you start adding up what else you need to do to make the most of the supercharger, like new downpipes/exhaust, struts, etc.

The only things that I've done to mine so far are the real easy "do-it-yourself" mods, like rear strut tower brace and rear sway bar. I'm no mechanic, so I'm afraid to get into the rest of it. Now, putting a PC in the car is right up my alley. I think I could tear apart and reassemble a normal PC blindfolded!
            So far:

Comment

Originally posted by brrman
              You can get the slim Zippy Illuminescent for less than $32 at Newegg.com
              That's where I got mine. Newegg.com is a great company to deal with, especially when you get free 3 day shipping. Just ordered most of my HTPC parts yesterday and all of it was shipped free. Gotta love it.
              Aura MR62 (F and R)
              My Current MP3s
              IamDefiler.com

Comment

Originally posted by tom2112
                Sounds good, man. Are you sure about the 256Mb of RAM? Are you running a trimmed down version of WinXP or 2K? If not, I would think you'd really need at least 512Mb.

What case are you using? Now I'm worried that mine won't fit under the seat either. I haven't measured it yet, since I don't even have the power supply yet.

I was thinking about trying to stuff it inside the center console somewhere. I saw directions for tearing the console out in the 3G forum a while back. I need to go print that out and see how much room there is in there. I was surprised how little room there is in the dash. I thought a lot of it would be wasted space. Guess not.

I used to read the 3G forum, but it was getting depressing. Too many cool performance parts and not enough money. I really gotta have that supercharger rig, but four grand is a lot of dough. Especially when you start adding up what else you need to do to make the most of the supercharger, like new downpipes/exhaust, struts, etc.

The only things that I've done to mine so far are the real easy "do-it-yourself" mods, like rear strut tower brace and rear sway bar. I'm no mechanic, so I'm afraid to get into the rest of it. Now, putting a PC in the car is right up my alley. I think I could tear apart and reassemble a normal PC blindfolded!
                Yeah I'm using XPLite and disabled almost all services and uninstalled anything and everything I won't be using in a carpc. I did this to cut the boot time down and naturally went with 256 MB since it's faster to read/write 256 megs than it is to write 512 or 1024.

I have no complaints with it even when running Tripex3 winamp visualizations. It plays DVDs and DivX movies perfectly. I'm using the Morex Cubid 3688 case it's really small but the space under our seats is even smaller. I have a motorized driver see so there's no way to put it under there because of the motors and stuff. Under the passenger seat is a little more room and there's a possibility I could fit it in there if I took the seat out, put it in, then put the seat back but I want to have easier access to the computer to put disks in and turn it on and off. I agree with the dash completely, there is no extra room. I was going to put the case in the glove box but the case is like 2-3 inches too long to fit facing out. I also tried the center console thing. =\ I took it out and was going to put it where the cubby hole under the armrest is but it's too small.

Comment

I also tried the center console thing. =\ I took it out and was going to put it where the cubby hole under the armrest is but it's too small.
                  Thanks for saving me the time and trouble!

I'm going to have to check out XPlite. That sounds like a good idea. I'm sure there's tons of bloat-ware running in there on a normal install.

I got 1Gb of RAM before I really even considered hibernating. I will probably only suspend, because of lack of disk space and time. I did want to stuff as much RAM in as I could, since I didn't want to need more later, then have to buy all over again. That whole one DIMM slot thing sucks. I wish they would have ditched the floppy interface in liu of another DIMM. Oh well. No big deal. I won't need more than 1Gb for quite a while.

My seats aren't powered, so my stuff should fit under there. I will probably have to take the seat out to install, so I want to get the system all wired up and tested before I install. I don't wanna have to rip the seat out every other day! I wonder if they make quick releases for them?
                  So far:

Comment

Originally posted by tom2112
                    I wonder if they make quick releases for them?
                    Hehe, nope, just 4 big bolts.

Comment

Working...
                    X