20A power cut-off switch ok?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20A power cut-off switch ok?

I want to put a toggle switch on the power line that is running from my battery to my carputer to cut power to the computer if i ever do not want the computer to boot when i start the car. Would a 20amp rated switch be able to handle that? Or do i need more/less amperage? Also, it is safe to do this, if not...why not?

I'll be running 8 gauge wire from the car battery and the psu that im using is the pw-70a with ITPS. Thanks!

anyone?

Comment

20A will be fine.
      Old Systems retired due to new car
      New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

You can use even lower powered switches if you use a relay between the switch and the PC. Thats what I'm doing. A nice switch that looks good in your car is hard enough to find. Especially if you're limited to one amperage rating.

Comment

Im using this switch, so im not worried about looking for a nice one i my car. This switch just screams .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AEOT%3AUS%3A3

Comment

very cool...what cover are you getting? "Go Baby Go"???

Comment

By the way..I posted this link before on another thread: http://www.dcacpowerinverters.com/faq.htm#10

This company that sells power inverters says in their FAQ that you should be able to draw 240watts from a 20amp line. If you want more than 240 watts I don't think 20amps will cover it and they recommend going right to the battery..needless to say, without a 20amp or less fuse/switch in line!

Comment

no, i got a plain switch with no prints on it. I will come up with my own designs

Comment

Originally posted by [H]Bugster
                  no, i got a plain switch with no prints on it. I will come up with my own designs
                  I think www cyberguys com sells this same switch for $4.
                  So far:
                  M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

the ones at cyber guys are crap "toy" switches. The cover is plastic...as opposed to this one...these are real switches that are basically what they use in airplanes and in the military. The cover on here is a hard rubber.

Comment

Originally posted by [H]Bugster
                      the ones at cyber guys are crap "toy" switches. The cover is plastic...as opposed to this one...these are real switches that are basically what they use in airplanes and in the military. The cover on here is a hard rubber.
                      Cool. Glad you didn't get ripped.

I always thought those switches would have a good "James Bond" feel. Maybe I'll get one for the ejector seat.
                      So far:
                      M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

Working...
                      X