Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuperDuty-Puter

Here's the plan:
    I need to put a PC in my Ford SuperDuty. This will eventually power countless (well, almost countless) USB devices, so it needs plenty of power.

I had originally planned on using a laptop hidden somewhere with a LCD display mounted in-dash, but I may be leaning toward Mini-ITX due to the modularity. Can someone explain the benefits/drawbacks of the laptop vs. Mini-ITX issue?

I have purchased these products already:
    Compaq PIII laptop (800MHz, 11GB, DVD, 802.11b)
    XENARC 700TSV
    Delorme Earthmate GPS
    Street Atlas 2004
    FM Modulator (incase I decide to leave the current sound system)
    Evation IRman Receiver and Remote

Also, can someone recommend the best Mini-ITX mobo for multimedia? I've read around, but there isn't a clear favorite.

Thanks in advance,
    .brit

m1000 epia + opus 150w dc-dc psu, you'll be set
    92 Taurus SHO - Daily driver - Epia M10000 80GB 512mb 7" touchscreen, Opus PSU etc

93 Black SHO - 30mpg cruiser

90 Silver SHO - 419whp fun/project car, CarPC to come (for tuning)

Comment

Originally posted by guitar333
      m1000 epia + opus 150w dc-dc psu, you'll be set

In what ways is that setup better than using a laptop?

thanks for info,
      .brit

Comment

I think that the epia would probably beat the laptop due to the epia's ability to be upgraded vs a laptop.

Comment

LVDS Option

Originally posted by greaper007
          I think that the epia would probably beat the laptop due to the epia's ability to be upgraded vs a laptop.
          Yeah, that's my major concern. I agree, but I already have the laptop. **ouch**. Oh well, it was free anyway.

I've been doing some reading on the epia. What is this LVDS option? Do I need that to push my Xenarc?

thanks,
          .brit

Comment

In what ways is that setup better than using a laptop?
            1) You would be using a PSU built for the car and would NOT require a inverter (sometimes noice and gets hot) and could power down your PC safely after turning off the key..

2) (well I'm not sure about your laptop but) have a nice graphic card with Mpeg decoding built it.. Great for watching DVD..

3) Again not sure about your laptop but has a 5.1 surround sound if you ever wanted to go that route..

Personally if you have the laptop and it works for what you need then use it.. It will do the job that is for sure.. If you were working with nothing I also would suggest a Epia and Opus..
            www.DurangoSUV.com

Comment

Your laptop can be powered directly off the 12v supply with a laptop adapter. Your laptop has a battery already, so it is unaffected by the voltage drop during the engine start.

If you connect said 12v adapter to a switched power source, you have an automatic computer shutdown built in. Just set the laptop Power Settings to shut down the computer when external power is disconnected.

If you set up a docking station in your truck (I am sure you have the room) you can remove your laptop and use it elsewhere.

And so on.

The only real drawback of the laptop is if it has a junky sound card. I had to run a USB soundcard for mine. (again would be no problem if you had a docking station.)
              current projects

Comment

next summer I will prabably switching to using a slimpro sp600 from http://www.cappuccinopc.com/2baypc.asp with a xenarc screen. I could expand the audio with an external sound card. If you need to upgrade video you would need a different PC model with pci or agp slots. I don't plan on doing video games in my truck but DVD's would be nice, hopefully the onboard video will be sufficient. As far as power goes I thinking about a deepcycle battery charged off my dual batteries with an isolator. That way it would not be affected by ignition or kill my truck. Just some ideas to think about.
                '99 F-350 Crew 7.3L~'02 F-350 Crew 7.3L~ '04 Dakota SLT+ 4.7L
                MII12000opus120~MII12000opus120~MII10000opus150
                NA~Senao dual 7.4 ant~Orinoco Gold
                Pioneer~Pioneer~PG Octane-R R5.1MT
                Xenarc, Rikaline6010, Garmin OEM16 HVS, CoPilot10

Comment

Originally posted by bridqer
                  ....zenarc screen
                  for future reference it's Xenarc
                  92 Taurus SHO - Daily driver - Epia M10000 80GB 512mb 7" touchscreen, Opus PSU etc

93 Black SHO - 30mpg cruiser

90 Silver SHO - 419whp fun/project car, CarPC to come (for tuning)

Comment

Ok, so I've finally gotten around to starting this project back up. The good news is I have most of the parts already. I just purchased a m275 TabletPC from Gateway. It will close flat with the screen open for easy mounting and hopefully I can get the TabletPC functionality to work within Windows Media Center which I already have installed.

I also just installed the Auxillary Input Adapter from P.I.E. It works flawlessly in the 2005 models. Here is an explanation of the install.

I have a port replicator coming that, when coupled with the proper mounting apparatus, should allow easy removal of the laptop for security purposes.

.brit

Comment

hey nice ideas... if you need some more ideas or ways to do stuff with your superduty here is my project showoff/worklogs it might help!

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60246

pm me if you have any questions
                      -VIA EPIA M10000/512MB/40GB HD
                      -DWW motorized 7'
                      -BU 303 GPS w/iGuidance/ CF
                      -Opus90w
                      -Belkin Bluetooth
                      -Pioneer HU

[||||||||||] 95% done

Comment

Working...
                      X