Instant (or nearly instant) start-up times

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instant (or nearly instant) start-up times

I'm researching a touchscreen PC for my truck but am concerned with how long it would take to load windows as soon as I start the vehicle. I've read how a lot of people are using the VIA EPIA small form factor computer as an in-dash solution; however, I've been researching some biscuit PCs fromAdvantech and some of these have the capability of loading from compact flash or other mediums... My question is... how long would an average boot time be for the EPIA via hard drive and how long would it be if I used the EPIA and an IDE flash drive, such as the Simple Tech? Also, if anyone knows of the best affordable solution to the start-up times please let me know...

As of now I've got my eye on this setup:

VIA EPIA PC
    Simple Tech flash drive (for Windows)
    TM-710VGT 7 " Lilliput LCD display
    and for software: Windows XP with Media Engine front end
    Current:
    2011 Black Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon | 20" KMC Rockstars | 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers | Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper | Kicker KX350.4 amp

This seems like a very interesting idea. It is pretty expensive though for just using as a mp3/gps system. But if I had the money for this I think this is the way to go. If you can load windows from a flash memmory card, I am sure you can yeild some outstanding boot and shutdown times. I achieved 17 seconds from power on to usable menus now using XP pro with carbox as my front end. That is using a standard laptop hard drive which runs only at 5400 rpms.

Comment

17s, damn that's pretty good, did you do anything special to xp? or is that from hibernate?

Originally posted by NightHunter
      I achieved 17 seconds from power on to usable menus now using XP pro with carbox as my front end. That is using a standard laptop hard drive which runs only at 5400 rpms.

Comment

I dont know which flash card, and which hard drive you are comparing to....but i chose a western drive (120gb) and the simple tech flash drive (1gb).

and the 8mbps (flash) compared to the 100mbps (HDD), seems like it make a diff? would this be safe to say?

and idk the size needed for booting...like if it will need a ton more than 8mb to load (im imagining it does).

-J
        Vehicle: 2003 Mistubishi Evolution
        PC Specs: 1gHz Nehemiah M10000
        512mb RAM
        Windows XP Professional
        80gb 7200rpm 8mb cache HDD
        UI: MediaEngine 2.1

Comment

Originally posted by 99bravada
          how long would an average boot time be for the EPIA via hard drive and how long would it be if I used the EPIA and an IDE flash drive, such as the Simple Tech? Also, if anyone knows of the best affordable solution to the start-up times please let me know...
          Your boot time will be LONGER with the flash card, by a large margin.
          [H]4 Life
          My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
          It will be done sometime in the next generation.
          I'm a lesbian too.
          I am for hire!

Comment

What you want is regular HDD with XPe. We have discussed this many times before though. :
            - Lwin M. Maung
            If it's stuck, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway

Comment

Thanks

Thanks...
              Current:
              2011 Black Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon | 20" KMC Rockstars | 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers | Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper | Kicker KX350.4 amp

Comment

I've got several SBC's and I can tell you with all certainty that it will take longer to boot for either a microdrive or a flashdisk. sorry
                Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.

Comment

To give some numbers.
                  Intel FlexATX board with Celeron 500, 128M ram, XP, 3G laptop drive Resume from hibernation 30seconds, cold boot about 1 minute
                  VIA Mini-itx, 500MHz, same 128M ram, same hdd, resume from hibernation 1 minute, cold boot a bit over 2 minutes.
                  VIA mini-itx, 500Mhz, same ram, 128M Simple tech CF, slackware 9.1, cold boot about 40 seconds.

These were all setup about about the same with a basic OS install and auto starting and playing winamp or mpg123 with just what is needed to make it work, i.e. auto logon but no real tweaking for speed.

If you want fast and have the space add a second battery under the hood with an isolator and just use suspend, my laptop resumes in less than 2 seconds.

Comment

Hmm, not a completely fair comparision (i.e implies CF is quicker) as the 1st two using a HDD are XP whereas the last one is Linux which is quicker anyway
                    My CarPC install piccies http://www.celica-club.co.uk/cgi-bin...at=561&thumb=1

Comment

well sort of, but the slack system is booting where the xp system is jujst resuming from hibernate. A resume from hibernate should be faster since all it has to do is bulk read the 128m memory snapshot. I think I'm getting decent performance from an off brand cf when compared to a laptop hdd. A laptop hdd isn't the fastest hdd but my cf also isn't the fastest available.

Comment

2 minutes is an awfully long boot time for a Mini-ITX. I boot Win98 on mine and play music in 28 seconds. (It is an EPIA V 800Mhz with 128MB of RAM). I have seen posts from others who boot WinXP almost as fast.

To the original poster, the solution for having "instant-on" is suspend-to-ram. On an EPIA mainboard, STR mode will use about 140mA of power, whereas, shut down completey it will use 100mA. Not much difference, and your battery should be able to handle it unless your vehicle sits idle for several days at a time.

Personally, I shutdown the computer (and disconnect power completely) overnight, but use STR whenever I stop and start the vehicle during the day. This gives me one 28 second startup in the morning (unless it's cold, but I've discussed that problem in another thread), and then about 3 second startups each time after that.

Comment

Remember this mostly a default of xp. I didn't try to disable any unnecessary services for example. It was also the 500mhz and a laptop hdd which causes some more performance hit.

Comment

2mins is quite a bit.

Current config
                            Windows 2k + SP4
                            IBM 20gig 4200rpm laptop drive
                            Lilliput VGA + Touchscreen drivers
                            MediaCar 1.8.3 autoloading on startup

Takes 85 seconds from cold boot to Carmedia functional and 45 seconds to shut down
                            Takes 12 seconds to hibernate and 19 seconds to come back.

What I have noticed is that if you try and hibernate within a few minutes of finishing a cold start or a resume from hibernate, my system takes an additional 15 seconds sitting on a Preparing to hibernate screen, before it does the normal 19 seconds on the hibernating screen???
                            My CarPC install piccies http://www.celica-club.co.uk/cgi-bin...at=561&thumb=1

Comment

I tried w2k, it was faster than xp, I didn't time it though as it would hang about 1 out of every 5 times resuming from hibernate so I didn't use it. My drive is an old 3G IBM laptop drive, maybe there is a performance difference there as well. Anyway my point was that CF is not too slow at least compared to some hardware.

Comment

Working...
                              X