Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a laptop do the job?

Hi Guys!
    New to the forum...I have been looking for a GPS solution for my Merc, didn't want t pay MB's prices (2k!) for the built in option. Was gonna use my palm Tungsten but after clapping eyes on the Lilliput Touchscreen I am considering using my laptop. Has anyone tried this?
    I am thinking of making a storage tray in the boot with the DC-DC power supply, VGA lead and a USB hub. This would allow the GPS and Touchscreen usb connectors to be in situ. After reading through your forum I am now considering integration with the audio system (although I know this will be a pain as MB use optical connections!)
    I also like the idea of voice control and some of the software I have seen on your site seems very cooool...
    This laptop option seems to me to solve a big issue about security and would give me a nice flexible in/out of car solution.
    Any feedback would be welcome, and as I proress the project I will take the usual piccies and post here.
    Cheers

David
    Dave H
    MG ZT 1.8T
    Epia M10000
    Lilliput 7" TS
    Haicom GPS
    WinTV USB-FM
    Powermate
    IR Reciever -> Steering Wheel Controls
    DVD/CD
    FP/MC/ME/MMC

Pics at www.mgpc.co.uk

I use a fujitsu lifebook P5000D as the heart of my system, along with a DScustoms 7 inch Xenarc touchscreen. It works quite nicely.

You may run into problems with being able to make the system turn on and off when you start the car with a laptop. Thats one thing I've never been able to do.

Be wary of the liliput screens. They seem very unreliable.
    A digital mind lost in an analog world.

Learn to ask smart questions!
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

My car PC: The Lost Cause!

Comment

Originally posted by fluffy2097
      I use a fujitsu lifebook P5000D as the heart of my system, along with a DScustoms 7 inch Xenarc touchscreen. It works quite nicely.

You may run into problems with being able to make the system turn on and off when you start the car with a laptop. Thats one thing I've never been able to do.

Be wary of the liliput screens. They seem very unreliable.
      I also use thinkpad T20 in my car. I got docking station for $46 from ebay and attached it behind the passanger seat. it gives 13" screen for rear seat passangers and I had not invest anything. I did not think about turning on/off (because i remove laptop anyway), but laptop will go to sleep in 15 minutes after I turn off the engine power. Just look at the power settings for docked/undocked station.
      ProjectEZP.com next generation police speedtrap locator. Free database for your GPS system (includes US/Canada).

Comment

Working...
      X