Cold Weather Hard Drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Weather Hard Drive

There have been several discussions in these forums about cold weather causing problems with hard drives. I have not seen a definitive answer as to what brand/model is known to work best in cold temperatures. My drive is an 80GB Maxtor D540X (5400 RPM, no FDB), and it does not seem to like temperatures below freezing. If anyone is having success in cold temperatures, could you please post the brand and model of your hard drive?

Originally posted by sigma957
    There have been several discussions in these forums about cold weather causing problems with hard drives. I have not seen a definitive answer as to what brand/model is known to work best in cold temperatures. My drive is an 80GB Maxtor D540X (5400 RPM, no FDB), and it does not seem to like temperatures below freezing. If anyone is having success in cold temperatures, could you please post the brand and model of your hard drive?
    Hitachi (www.hgst.com) is making a drive called the Endurastar which they say will work from -20C to +85C. The only problem is that it only comes as a 20GB unit. Probably expensive too.
    Phillip Hullquist

I entertain people through adventure movies.
    www.11visions.com

Comment

Maxtor 8.4.... old and in use in the truck for over 3 years...
      TruckinMP3
      D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

what about laptop disks ? what degrees do they work
        the sun always shine

Comment

Originally posted by BOND007BE
          what about laptop disks ? what degrees do they work
          I checked the specs of a few laptop drives, and their operating temperatures were 5C - 55C (same as most desktop drives).

Comment

mm not a solution i guess

what about a heating system ?
            because sometimes (in the winter its gonna freeze)
            the sun always shine

Comment

you could always get a remote start that warms the car when the temperature reaches a certain temperature so the interior is always heated. Aside from keeping the computer warm your car will be nice and toasty when you hop in :-D

Comment

not always an option i think.

compact flash 20 GIG doesn't excist i quess ????
                the sun always shine

Comment

Hi

My idea for my carputer HD is to use a usb2.0 external cradle
                  an use a quick release method for the cradle...that way when
                  its cold like it is in MN... I can remove the cradle with the HD in it.
                  just like a removeable face plate

just an idea
                  Victoria

Comment

stop taking my ideas!

Comment

ok thats an option , but i have to ALWAYS open the trunk to put the disk in it

so not very friendly option i think
                      the sun always shine

Comment

hi again

no see i was going to mount the disk cradle in the center armrest.
                        with a usb extender. so the computer can be in the back

hope that helps
                        Victoria

Comment

I've never had a problem with my Western Digitals in NJ winters. Only thing that didn't wanna work was the PSU but only when it was under 30F. After the truck warms up she'll start fine.
                          P4 2.4GHz, Intel mobo w/onboard sound & video, 128MB memory, 100GB Seagate Momentus laptop drive, Xenarc 700TSV 7" touchscreen, IRman using Girder, 150W Opus dc/dc psu, Alpine CDA-9835 h/u, MBQuart speakers, Infinity 15" sub, MTX amps.

Comment

Update:

For the last 2 days I have been trying a Seagate Barracuda drive in my CarPC. In its specs, Seagate lists 0C - 60C as the operating temperature (5 degrees lower that most other hard drives). They also claim it can withstand more G's of shock that other drives.

Anyway, to make a long story short, it was fairly cold last night, and the PC didn't startup any better than it did with the maxtor drive. I'm starting to wonder if its really the power supply (PW-60) or RAM (Kingston Value RAM) that doesn't like the cold.

Comment

Originally posted by sigma957
                              Update:

For the last 2 days I have been trying a Seagate Barracuda drive in my CarPC. In its specs, Seagate lists 0C - 60C as the operating temperature (5 degrees lower that most other hard drives). They also claim it can withstand more G's of shock that other drives.

Anyway, to make a long story short, it was fairly cold last night, and the PC didn't startup any better than it did with the maxtor drive. I'm starting to wonder if its really the power supply (PW-60) or RAM (Kingston Value RAM) that doesn't like the cold.
                              RAM likes cold. So do processors and chipsets. It's the nature of integrated circuits to like cold. It's the stuff with moving parts that you've got to worry about.
                              So far:
                              M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

Working...
                              X