Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need New Mobo

Hey all.

i finally got some free time and started assembling and installing software on my computer... yes im just that slow and lazy.

anyway, right away... first problem. the cheapo motherboard i bought some 1.5 years ago doesnt like the hard drive i picked up. on startup, it posts the bios version and ram test, but it hangs on the primary IDE... the damn hard drive. it works with my old 6.4 that i tossed on it, and i updated the bios... but still nothing on the new 60gig.

mobo is a ECS P6LX-A+ (probably make an internet radio player out of it... or something)
    HD is a WD WD600 (i think that is the model #, definately a 60 gig though)

i dont think the mobo is capable of handling the Ultra ATA HD... doh.

so, i need to find a motherboard (pref ATX), that handles the HD i have, AND has an ISA slot for my soundcard (AWE 64 gold w/ RCA outs). as long as i can get a cheapo processor from ebay or the likes, it is all good.

any suggestions???

~mike
    Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
    PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
    2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Man, that thing is old!!! 3 ISA slots....Wow.

Try using a 40 wire ribbon cable or the WD disk utility to make older computers see larger hard drives.

Good luck
    Aura MR62 (F and R)
    My Current MP3s
    IamDefiler.com

Comment

Originally posted by Defiler
      Man, that thing is old!!! 3 ISA slots....Wow.

Try using a 40 wire ribbon cable or the WD disk utility to make older computers see larger hard drives.

Good luck
      Yeah, its old. i did manage to find an industrial mobo that is P4 with ISA slots. but it was a package deal for way too much $

i tried the setup with just a bios update first, then i tried the WD floppy utility after that. it was still no-go. i might try the 40 wire, if i can find one in my box-o-crap.

~Mike

Comment

I have a mobo for sale ->check my signature
        If you're interested i can make a deal, PM me if so

EDITED: i just checked mine, same problem, sorry.
        Danny.

"If today was perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow."
        My Car Project® ‹== !10.4" Allbrite, touchscreen, epia, 150opus, gps, wireless, sony remote [old] 128x64 Crystalfontz +double din [new]

Comment

dont know if this is your problem, but this made me frustrated forever. I had just gotten a new WD80GB and I could not get my PII mobo to see it, I updated the BIOS, used the hard drive utility etc. But it turned out it was the jumpers. there are 4 i think rather than the usual 3. depending on what other drives you have just make sure it is set properly
          92 Taurus SHO - Daily driver - Epia M10000 80GB 512mb 7" touchscreen, Opus PSU etc

93 Black SHO - 30mpg cruiser

90 Silver SHO - 419whp fun/project car, CarPC to come (for tuning)

Comment

I have an Abit P3 slot 1 Mobo (BX2 I think)and that Mobo can recognize the new WD 120G HD. I just plug in the Standard IDE and use 40wires cables. Those 80wires cable doesn't work. The moble can't recognize the HD if I use the 80wires cable but the 40wires one work well.
            2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
            89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
            Y2K Accord Dell GX150
            RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
            EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by MatrixPC
              I have an Abit P3 slot 1 Mobo (BX2 I think)and that Mobo can recognize the new WD 120G HD. I just plug in the Standard IDE and use 40wires cables. Those 80wires cable doesn't work. The moble can't recognize the HD if I use the 80wires cable but the 40wires one work well.
              hmmm... that would be the BX6

ive been searching for a replacement today, and i think im going to go with an abit kt7a (or kt7). unless i can get it working with the 40 wire cable.

~mike

Comment

i had the same problem with my P2 board, just get a PCI IDE controller, cheap, uses less CPU cycles than the onboard IDE, most likely will have a higher transfer rate than the onboard one, they can be had for less than $20

Comment

Originally posted by Hcomplyr
                  i had the same problem with my P2 board, just get a PCI IDE controller, cheap, uses less CPU cycles than the onboard IDE, most likely will have a higher transfer rate than the onboard one, they can be had for less than $20
                  This is also true. BTW I would sell you my promise controler I just got with my new WD 160Gig. If your in the states I'll do $15 shipped.
                  Aura MR62 (F and R)
                  My Current MP3s
                  IamDefiler.com

Comment

Why not dump the soundcard and go for mini-itx or micro-atx instead. These boards are so cheap you could use the spare money for a decent usb soundcard. Just thinking out loud here, but that is what i would do.

Comment

Originally posted by cvi
                      Why not dump the soundcard and go for mini-itx or micro-atx instead. These boards are so cheap you could use the spare money for a decent usb soundcard. Just thinking out loud here, but that is what i would do.
                      because the soundcard that i have has RCA outputs. thats the reason i want to keep it.

i am thinking of getting the IDE controller now that i know they are relatively cheap.

~Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Defiler
                        This is also true. BTW I would sell you my promise controler I just got with my new WD 160Gig. If your in the states I'll do $15 shipped.
                        i sent you an email today...

~Mike

Comment

ECS Support blows.

I had a new defective mirco-atx mobo that was given to me from my old boss.

ECS gave me the run around for months in emails and phone calls and never returned my calls.

I hope ECS explodes, dies and shrivels away.

Just my opinion anyway...

-Mario

Comment

Working...
                          X