Plexiglass case fabrication

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plexiglass case fabrication

Has anybody actually fabricated a case from plexiglass and if so, what did you use to bond the walls? I am currently looking at using "L" brackets and some nuts and bolts w/ washers on them... but I also heard of just using a glue of some kind. The problem I see with that would be if the glue will be affected by the constant temperature changes.

Any suggestions?
    New CarPC on the way again I think. I miss my old one!!!

there are a few plexi cases floating around here.

most people have used the L brackets to secure the walls together.

however, if you want to have a perfectly clear case, you can do that too, without the use of metal brackets. check out tap plastics website. they have a couple different products for bonding plastics.

~mike
    Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
    PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
    2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

tap plastics rocks... there's one about 4 blocks from my house
      Car: 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S
      Mods: Yep
      Carputer: VIA M9000 | Opus 150 | 512MB PC2100 | 60GB Notebook HD | Slim/Slot DVD/CDRW | Audigy2NX | Xenarc 700TSV | (2) DSCustoms DS700HRS (in trunk) | SMC USB 802.11b | CoPilot | DLink FM tuner | Cliffnet

Comment

Sweet... if anybody reading this thread currently has a plexiglass case that you fabricated ... could you post a link or a picture so I can see how yours turned out. I'm newbie when it comes to fabrication. Thanks again for the links too!!

Comment

http://217.215.35.5/plexi

Comment

damn that looks cool
            Car: 2000 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t
            Carputer 2.0: removed. Back to stock.

Comment

I went to HomeDepot and picked up some glue (apoxie) made to hold Acrylic/Plex.. It was like $2.99 and worked like a charm.. Dried clear and holds very well..
              www.DurangoSUV.com

Comment

That is awesome man.... what did you use to cut the plexiglass itselft?

Comment

Have a look at the link in my sig - mine is held together with a combination of glue and aluminium angle. Cutting done using a cutting blade and/or a dremel-type device.

There's pix of the blade that I used on the site as well.

C!
                  http://carpc.riposte.net
                  I reserve all rights in connection to each post I author, without exception.

Comment

wmoltol,

nice case. what are the dimensions?

Comment

Very Nice Site man, nice case... very descriptive I appreciate the link.... I tried cutting my plexiglass last night w/ a jig saw.... bad idea.... I clamped 2 pieces of wood on to use as a guide started cutting and I have a mess.... I cracked a couple of pieces and got absolutely nowhere w/ it. But now I see a possible method that will be better.... but unfortuneately I have inch plexiglass so I might want to bust out the DVD's

Comment

Maybe this is just me, but I bought some plexi a while back and I noticed how much static it created. Static and PC parts don't go together, so I abandonned the project. Do you guys take the chance? Or buy a product, or special plexi so that you don't have the problem
                        My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
                        2 Kicker Comp 10"
                        Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
                        Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
                        Check it out?!

Comment

Originally posted by Pudge
                          Maybe this is just me, but I bought some plexi a while back and I noticed how much static it created. Static and PC parts don't go together, so I abandonned the project. Do you guys take the chance? Or buy a product, or special plexi so that you don't have the problem
                          yes, plastics do tend to be good sources of static electricity. there is no product (that i know of) that will prevent static buildup.

but, all you need to do is properly ground everything. if you use metal motherboard standoffs, you can run a ground wire between all the standoff posts, and then connect it to the chassis of your power supply, or directly to a ground point on the car. at least, that is what i have heard.

as long as you prevent the electronics from coming into direct contact with the plexi, which you should do anyway, you should be able to drain off any static electricity with a good grounding setup.

~mike
                          Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
                          PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
                          2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

Thanks for the info.... I did somewhat consider the ESD factor... but not to that extent... I will definately look into proper grounding for it.

As for the case itself.... well I said to hell w/ it and just had a local glass place cut the pieces for me... I tried to cut them last night in multiple different methods... razors, scoring, hack saw , jig saw and it all was a mess... and I busted more plexi than I cut... so they are doing it for me for cheap. I'll keep this thread updated when I get done /w the box.

Comment

I cut the plexiglass with jig saw.
                              Plexiglass is 6 mm.
                              Dimensions: 23 cm x 18,5 cm x 6 cm

/Maxx

http://217.215.35.5/plexi

Comment

Working...
                              X