Monitor killing the bass

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor killing the bass

Hooked up my system for the first time (PC, keypower DC/DC, headunit and sub) and it works great!

Then I added the 5.6 inch delvcam monitor... yikes! Whenever I switch it on there is a VERY LOUD thump from the sub and the music plays much quieter with almost no bass
    The monitor picture is distorted with horizontal bars which pulsate with the music.

When the monitor is powered from the house mains supply, the TV-out from the car PC displays perfectly on it. Also the car audio is perfect and no thump when turning monitor an and off. Only one problem with this method... I don't have an extention lead long enough... so I can't drive far from the house!

Is this a grounding issue?

Please help! I am desperate to get this thing working and put the car back together.

Thanks
    Honda CRX. Custom enclosure.
    Supermicro SED MB (Onboard sound and TV-out). Celeron 700. 64mb ram.
    40 GB Seagate HDD on vented foam mount.
    Keypower DC-DC KP-DX 250H ATX 250W.
    Delvcam 5.6" TFT LCD Monitor.
    Old headunit (ripped out tape mechanism added audio inputs on back).
    X10 RF mouseremote.
    "Wired Ride" web site

The Australia/New Zealand mp3car Portal. Join now!

Um, your car's battery probably can't supply enough power for everything! Moniters (At least CRTs I know do) suck a lot power.

Also, the reason the monitor is pulsating with the music is because its powered by the same power source as the speakers. When its being powered from the house its seperated from the speakers and are no longer effected.

--Ashlawn Kemling

Comment

check your grounding:

make sure all grounds on your car have no potential difference by hooking a multimeter up. Set the multimeter to volts, and put one end of the multimeter on sub amp's ground, for example, and the other end of the multimeter on the ground to the monitor.

You can try it on all the grounds in your car, but if the meter doesn`t say 0v then u have bad ground.

i hope this helps
      My Setup

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I tested the grounds and they came out ok. I then grounded the headunit, motherboard, subamp and power supply to the same spot on the car body but the problem remains!

I also tried connecting the monitor to the 12v and ground just before they connect to the power supply but the problem remained and additionally the monitor stayed on no matter whether I had the monitor power switch on or off!! Only by removing the video imput plug would the monitor turn off.

Please, please please... does anyone have any further ideas. I must have overlooked something. This is driving me crazy!

Thanks!
        X10 RF mouseremote.
        "Wired Ride" web site

Comment

Quick guess, it's a lack of power problem, your car just can cope, your best bet would probably be a capactior or a second battery, have a look at the posting titled "What are capacitors for?" for more info.
          And you say people actually pay money for M$ Windows?
          www.mp3mini.co.uk (Does what it says on the URL) www.openclassic.co.uk (The new car, with zero rust!) www.rob-web.co.uk (My other site)
          Total re-design underway: on the whole progress is very slow as the car is taking up too much time :)

Comment

If you have a sound system that is around 1000w or above then it is probably a lack of power problem, like rob suggested.

a capacitor might help, but an upreated alternator is the best solution...

if it is (still) a grounding problem, try seeing if there is any voltage between where u grounded your stuff to the cars bodywork and your batteries negative terminal... if there is any voltage difference, then just connect the two together with a thick wire...

i have everything grounded 2 my battery in my car, and never had any grounding probs

ps: one last thing, what voltage does your monitor run off, and how are you powering it?

[ 08-27-2001: Message edited by: Mike Hunt 79 ]
            My Setup

Comment

Haha... the subamp is only a tiny 50 watt thing running 1 10 inch speaker

The monitor power imput is DC 9-20 Volts currently running from the lighter socket.

I will try running a lead directly to the battery tomorrow!

Thanks for the help!

AndyM
              X10 RF mouseremote.
              "Wired Ride" web site

Comment

heh, u dont need a capactor then

if the keypower can do the amps, try connecting the 12v out from the keypower the the monitor... good luck!
                My Setup

Comment

Yes!

I hooked the monitor to the keypower power supply and it works perfectly!

The only outstanding issue is that with this configuration the on/off switch has no effect. The monitor is always on when the computer is on. I can live with this... or maybe I will put a switch on the 12v line but I am curious as to why this is happening!

Many thanks Mike Hunt for your help. You are da man!

Hehe... I'm off now to play with this thing!

Thanks again

AndyM
                  X10 RF mouseremote.
                  "Wired Ride" web site

Comment

No problem... it`s good to be of some use.

It`s also powering my monitor in the same way, but my monitor asks for strictly 12v in.

I wouldn`t worry too much about the on/off issue, you can simply use a relay to switch the monitor on and off, and they are really cheap to buy. Just do a search on google for more info, they aren`t too complicated
                    My Setup

Comment

AndyM,

I have almost the same components in my system:
                      -Supermicro SED
                      -Keypower DC/DC 250W ATX
                      -5.6" TFT
                      -X10 Mouse Remote
                      -Laptop HDD
                      -Custom Auto On/Off circuit with 10mins delay

the power for the TFT screen is hooked up through the ATX power supply. I have absolutely no interferance and the monitor turns off by itself whenever the PC suspends to RAM (it would do it anyway since it wouldn't sence any video signal at it's input).

Dimitris

Comment

Hey Dimitris, how did you get your TFT hooked up to the system? Signal-wise.
                        AMD Duron 750, 128m RAM, 10gig WD, 12.1" TFT screen, SB Live! 5.1, custom plexiglass case
                        TalonTemple.com

Comment

Working...
                        X