Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why do i have to push the power button after shutdown?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why do i have to push the power button after shutdown?

I upgreated my laptop to xp profecioanl and now evry time i select shut down , it gives me a message "now it is sve to power off you system" but before it didn't do that. it will just shut off...completally.. and on my pc i also have win xp pro. and i don;t have to push the power button after i've selected shutdown... how can i get rid of the option (problem for me) in my lap top
    98.8 complete
    95 chevy blazer s10

try installing a fresh copy of winxp without upgrading. i built alot of computers and never had that problem...only when i upgrade the operating system to xp.

Comment

Originally posted by kalito
      I upgreated my laptop to xp profecioanl and now evry time i select shut down , it gives me a message "now it is sve to power off you system" but before it didn't do that. it will just shut off...completally.. and on my pc i also have win xp pro. and i don;t have to push the power button after i've selected shutdown... how can i get rid of the option (problem for me) in my lap top
      Try this - support.microsoft
      Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by thanhnguyen510
        try installing a fresh copy of winxp without upgrading. i built alot of computers and never had that problem...only when i upgrade the operating system to xp.
        o no i formatted my HHD and then i intalled the xp pro. that's when i started geting the massage .. i remember i used to do that in an old pc i had with win95
        98.8 complete
        95 chevy blazer s10

Comment

That's usually a thing with AT motherboards, that would be why it happened on your old pc. Is your new pc AT? or ATX?
          My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
          2 Kicker Comp 10"
          Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
          Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
          Check it out?!

Comment

Originally posted by Pudge
            That's usually a thing with AT motherboards, that would be why it happened on your old pc. Is your new pc AT? or ATX?
            i don't know what at or atx is? and b/4 i had xp home and it did happend then.. and even when i had winME. why now? how can get rid of that...
            98.8 complete
            95 chevy blazer s10

Comment

A simple way to check if your board is AT or ATX is to check the cable from the power supply to your motherboard. Here is a side by side comparison http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/build.asp?sect=6&page=6
              2 Kicker Comp 10"
              Check it out?!

Comment

Pudge: Its a laptop.
                Kalito: check bios settings and windows power management config. And check the link laidback posted to microsoft knowledgebase.

Comment

You should see Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC on your device manager, make sure its enable and no conflict.

Check the power management in control panel and your BIOS make sure its all looking OK.

You BIOS should support it since it has worked before

Comment

at the boot up menu?
                    98.8 complete
                    95 chevy blazer s10

Comment

haha laptop... missed that.
                      2 Kicker Comp 10"
                      Check it out?!

Comment

now i have another problem when my battery gets to 60% or under the laptop goes off for no reason... what can it be?
                        98.8 complete
                        95 chevy blazer s10

Comment

Wow. Well, if it worked before, then it should work now. The problem could be with the motherboard drivers. Check the laptop manufacturer's site to see if XP/2000 drivers are available, and snag them. You are looking for the main system board or system drivers. That's probably why it won't shut the system down completely.

As for the battery, if it's an old laptop, the battery may be unable to report its remaining charge properly, and although it says it's at 60%, it may actually be much lower, and dropping rapidly. If it's a NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride) battery, (which you should be able to identify by looking at the label on the battery), it will especially be plagued by this problem. As the battery gets older, it begins to drop its charge at an exponential rate. Where it might have run for two hours or so when new, it can develop the habit of reaching about 60%, then dropping faster and faster to a dead state. This can happen to batteries that are as young as a year and a half, depending on how often they are used up and recharged. If you frequently used the laptop on battery power until it drained, then this is probably what you are dealing with.

/Loves having an ex-military missile tech for a store PC tech
                          The ALEXIS Project
                          MP3---VIDEO---GPS---REARVIEW---OBD---SKINNING
                          Color Coding :
                          DONE / MOSTLY DONE / BASE FEATURES / WORKING CONCEPT / NO CODE COMPLETED

Comment

For the battery problem...right click on the desktop, and at the screen saver tab...there is a Power Settings (or Management) button. Click that, and you can select the alarms etc...my laptop is not very compatable, so I deselected ALL the power warnings etc...mine would shut down with a full charge for no reason.

and yes support at microsoft has a shutdown troubleshooter.

Also I do regular sweeps with Norton WinDoctor, to clean out any major errors.
                            current projects

Comment

regedit

Had that issue the other day and stubled onto a regedit trick that worked for me. search for "powerdownaftershutdown" witout the quotes in the reg and then change the 0 to a 1.

Heres the link- http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/251/
                              Mark Muyskens
                              http://www.markthebozo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X