Monsoon question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monsoon question

My Hyundai has the Monsoon stereo in it. I have pretty much finished planning out my carputer and am almost ready to buy the parts. The problem I'm having is I will be getting rid of the Monsoon headunit and replacing it completely with the carputer.

I want to use the Monsoon amp/speakers until I can afford to buy new ones. Is there a way to tie into the Monsoon amp without using a headunit or will I just need to wait until I have more $$?

Yes, I've ed but the only Monsoon systems that come up are on VWs.

I want to use the Monsoon amp/speakers until I can afford to buy new ones. Is there a way to tie into the Monsoon amp without using a headunit or will I just need to wait until I have more $$?

Ok, there is a lot of information on using amps with the output of your carputer, I have never done it but my understanding is that you just use your sound out of your PC to your amp using the RCA cables, so yes there is a way. You could always use a FM modulator or something to that matter and tune your headunit in with that, or if your monsoon setup has aux input use that
    CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
    Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Comment

I know I can get one of those Y-adapters to go from the speaker output on the computer to standard RCA cables. What I'm wondering is if I will be able to slice the ends off the RCA cables and tie them directly into the input of the Monsoon amp (since it doesn't have RCA input). I've read somewhere that the Monsoon headunit puts out about 15 watts and the amplifier amplifies that some and splits the signal into 6 signals for the front woofer & tweeter, & the rear speaker. I guess what I'm really asking is will a 1.2V output be enough to power the amplifier?

EDIT:
      After posting this, I thought I'd put the information I had into Ohms law.
      Nevermind...the output from my carputer will be WAY too low to power the Monsoon amp. I guess I'll just have to wait until I can buy new speakers and amps before installing anything.

Comment

Originally posted by jagreen2
        EDIT:
        After posting this, I thought I'd put the information I had into Ohms law.
        Nevermind...the output from my carputer will be WAY too low to power the Monsoon amp. I guess I'll just have to wait until I can buy new speakers and amps before installing anything.
        Sounds like you need a pre-amp. Check out the equipment made for musicians. I know there were a lot of those things made for guitarists and such. Maybe you can adapt one for your use.
        So far:
        M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

If you need to integrate your PC with the monsoon ... i'd suggest getting a wiring harness from best buy ... then get one of those RCA solder boards from radio shack. Your RCAs will come out of your comp, into the rca board, and you can solder the leads of the wiring harness for the respective speakers to the back of the RCA board.

Your problem, as you've already noted, will be if the monsoon 'amp' is a true amp. I have a similar setup in my jeep. stock amp ... however what I foud was that the head unit was already amping the signal (acting as a preamp) and then the factory amp was just giving it a little more boost.

as tom said ... you could look into getting a preamp of some sorts. Some EQs have preamps built in ... $50 some of the are i think.
          My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

Or something like this 6-channel line driver from Phoenix Gold!! Has six independent channels and should boost the signal up to 8V which should be adequate for the amps. I think I might just get this and eventually upgrade my speakers/amps when I have more $$. I can even still use this when I upgrade!!! What do you all think? According to Ohms law, an 8V signal into a 4 ohm load equates to 16 watts so it should be perfect. Do you think it would work?

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/PHOTLD66

Comment

yeah that would probably work but for $130 you could just get a rockford fosgate 4 channel amp ... like this one.

That would give you much more power (65wx4 @ 4ohm) ... just lower the gain if your speakers can't take the power.

Are you sure your speakers are 4ohm? Many manufacturers use 6ohm or 8ohm. Either way this amp should be fine for connecting to your stock speakers.
              My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

Even if the speakers were 8 ohms, I'd still be driving 8 watts into the amplifier and I doubt that the 15 watts is RMS power so it's probably more like 7.5 watts RMS from the headunit.

The only problem with buying a new amp is the Monsoon amp also splits the signal in the front for the woofer and tweeter. I would either have to figure out what the crossover frequencies for the two signals are and build a passive crossover or replace the speakers. The speakers I want to get are about $360 a set. For now I'd rather just spend $130 on something that I will be able to use even after I replace the amp/speakers.

Comment

Yes, I know I'm being difficult but it's been hard enough talking the wife into letting me replace the perfectly good system in there now. I can already hear her saying "HELL NO!!!" if I have to tell her I need to spend another $1800 just to make it work.

Comment

If the factory stereo doesn't have AUX in, why not use FM modulator/Transmitter?
                    I know those sound suck compare to AUX in but it works. It's better if the stereo has cassette tape player, you can use the tape adapter. Tape adapter sound much better than the FM transmitter/modulator.
                    This is the only way if you wife said "HELL NO!!!!!" to replace the factory stereo.
                    2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                    89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                    Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                    RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                    EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

She said I could replace the stereo but not if I will have to spend an additional $1800. That's actually where the carputer will be going...in the stock stereo location.

She likes the idea of being able to play DVDs, MP3s, Navigation, etc. but if it will cost $3000 up front I already know what the answer will be.

Comment

Oh shoot. That was my plan, to replace the head unit input on the Monsoon amplifier of my passat with the multichannel output of the Epia-M board.

Do you really think the output of the Epia will be too low?

BTW: Doesn't your monsoon system has a CD-changer input? You can get an Aux input adapter from blitzsafe.com or k9spud.com.

Just please; don't use an FM transmitter!

Comment

I don't know about the Epia but I know on the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 it's only 1.26VRMS. Since this is a better card than the one on the board, I would think it would be higher.

I doubt mine has a cd-changer input. It's an 6-disk in-dash cd changer.

Comment

On this post apparently the output of a soundcard works ok with a Monsoon amp:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...4&postcount=18

The other way around that is to drive the monsoon amp input with speaker level outputs from a carputer soundcard.... I have tried that, and it seemed to work fine.

Comment

Well, I think I might test it with my portable cd player. I'm sure if converting the headphone on my cd player works, then the speaker out on my computer should work.

Comment

Working...
                              X