hot processor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hot processor?

is an amd k62-500 supposed to run at 54 degrees celcius? i hope not. but i thought id ask.
    "if everything is under control, you're not going fast enough!"

Sounds a little hot to me. Standard temperatures are between 30 and 45 or so. Do you have a good heatsink? Did you use heatsink goo on the bottom? Even if it had a pad, you should remove the pad and use the goo instead. It's much better. A larger fan might also work. Are you running too much voltage through the chip?
    Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
    Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
    "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

My friends 1.4 ghz tbird runs about that temp

Arron's right. Make sure you have heatsink compound and are giving the chip the right voltage.
      www.arbybean.com

Comment

My AMD thunderbird 1000 runs at 46c, but I have seen it as high as 51, My friends runs at 27c, I think it may have something to do with motherboards..

Comment

SkinnyBoy: Sounds like your friend could use a case fan. Best place to mount is right behind the processor, blowing hot air out of the case.
          Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
          Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
          "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

hey etrik,

I suppose this is a socket 7? I have that same CPU and mine Im just using a normal CPU fan. Granted its clocked down to 450 because when clocked at 500 it got buggy. It might be due to overheat but I dont know. If you can live with it, you might just try clocking it down to 450. Just a suggestion.
            The Grand aMP3 Project
            Car: 96 Pontiac Grand Am
            Current Setup: AMD K62 300MHz, 64MB DIMM RAM, 20GB WD Hard Drive, Basic Video & Sound

Comment

from what im told, amd k6-2's do run a bit on the warmer side compared to their p2 counterparts. But also, they made them in a few different voltages and if you have a higher voltage processor, it will run hotter.
              2004 F-150
              Shuttle XPC, 80gig HD, Wireless Internet, DVD
              "How piMP3d is your ride??"

Comment

Working...
              X