5.1 24bit DVD-Audio in car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.1 24bit DVD-Audio in car

I've been thinking about using Sound Blaster's Audigy2 sound card to play DVD-A disks in the car and to have true 5.1 for movies. Probobly going to have to use a 6 channel line level amp/eq before the signal gets to the amps (not cheap)... but, has anyone done this before? DVD-A's sound sooo good and it would be awesome to get it happen'n in the ride. I couldn't find any posts on this, maybe there's not as many audiophiles around as i thought...

I use an alipine pxa-h510 digital processor which takes toslink in from the sound card (dmx 6 fire LT), and then has rca out to the amps. Supports full 5.1 Dolby Surround (not dts though). Later versions of the alpine eq's support many more formats.

-Jason

Comment

For some reason, SB Audigy2 doesn't allow digital out when playing back DVD-A's, it sucks, but its really the only sound card out now that plays that format.

Comment

Thought this would be cool for a center channel

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-6KSfkOT....asp?i=020SRK5

Comment

Originally posted by law
          For some reason, SB Audigy2 doesn't allow digital out when playing back DVD-A's, it sucks, but its really the only sound card out now that plays that format.
          Oh yeah, I think I remember that. Funny thing is my phillips dvd player also does the same thing, forces you to use analog out for dvd-a's. It'd be nice to have a switch box controllable from the front of the car to redirect rca inputs from processor or from comp. Wonder if anyone makes that...

-Jason

Comment

doesn't your DVD drive have a Digital Audio Out on the back? wouldn't that be the equivalent of coax digital out that you could just run into the sound card?

Comment

Sure, but a ide cable does that too.

Comment

i know, but it might work since your bypassing everything, just a thought

Comment

Originally posted by law
                  Thought this would be cool for a center channel

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-6KSfkOT....asp?i=020SRK5
                  That looks expensive. Good idea tho.
                  Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

Originally posted by law
                    I remember reading about this somewhere. It is done to stop piracy so you can't have perfect copies of the DVD-A. I'm sure that someone sooner or later will come up with a fix or a card that will do it.
                    Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

I've been doing it with my soundblaster audigy 2 nx, though I don't have a center channel (it will alter things accordingly).
                      car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

Originally posted by robiewp
                        I've been doing it with my soundblaster audigy 2 nx, though I don't have a center channel (it will alter things accordingly).
                        Are you using a line driver before your amp or are you just using the sound card??
                        thanks

Comment

This might help

Hello I saw this maybe it will help

http://www.mini-itx.com/hardware/ac3/

Comment

Originally posted by law
                            Are you using a line driver before your amp or are you just using the sound card??
                            thanks
                            Just using the soundcard.
                            car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

Originally posted by ahuumm
                              Hello I saw this maybe it will help

http://www.mini-itx.com/hardware/ac3/
                              Yeah, I wish the epia's stock sound card could play dvd-a's, but the only way i know is to use an audigy2 and its software. I think new windvd can play it em, but you still have to use the audigy2 with 24bit audio. Would be nice tho.

Comment

Working...
                              X