Please help me out guys....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me out guys....

okay, ive spent MANY hours on this project, and i just hit a wall i need some help getting around.

My C134 case is supposed to go in my dash (its DIN sized), but it is a tight fit (depth-wise). I managed to fabricate my harness to squeeze it in there, but when i went to plug up all the connections i realized that the D-15 (monitor cable) protrudes out far enough that it will no longer fit.

ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND A 90 DEGREE D-15 ADAPTOR???

any other suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

I built one from Radio Shack VGA connectors (had the same problem). Just be carful with your soldering. Used about 8" of Cat5 twisted pair for each color (RGBHsVsGnd). Makes a tight 1" 90deg turn.
    MikeH

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
      I built one from Radio Shack VGA connectors (had the same problem). Just be carful with your soldering. Used about 8" of Cat5 twisted pair for each color (RGBHsVsGnd). Makes a tight 1" 90deg turn.
      2 questions:
      1. did you use a pinout wiring diagram or did you just go pin to pin?

2. Did you use cat5 because it was lying around or was there a purpose (i.e., because its shielded?)

i dont speak electronics , so that string of letters doesnt mean whatever its supposed to to me. sorry if it feels like you are working with a n00b here, but i guess i kinda am.

Thanks for ALL the help mike.

Shamir

Comment

Originally posted by jusatry
        ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND A 90 DEGREE D-15 ADAPTOR???
        Not sure if this will help, but here's a link to one you can buy:
        http://www.connectworld.net/iec/l13301.html

It looks almost as big as a straight connector, though. If you're really tight for space, you're better off just wiring one yourself. I just looked up the wiring for it and it is straight thru (pin 1 to pin 1, 2 to 2, etc.) and it uses all 15 pins.

VGA cables are not paired conductors or setup in twisted pairs, like in Cat5 cables. I think Mike just used it because it was convenient. There might be some noise reduction in the signal if you used twisted pairs with the right twist and the right signals. But it'd take an electrical engineer to figure out which ones are which. I wouldn't sweat the Cat5 thing. Just use any wire you've got laying around. Try to get something close to gage 24 wire.
        So far:
        M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

Shamir,

did you use a pinout wiring diagram or did you just go pin to pin?
          Both. Here's a VGA Pinout Diagram. I went a bit overboard and ran a ground wire next to each of the Red, Green, and Blue lines (it was the 2nd wire in the twisted pair). So Red had it's own ground, Green it's own ground, and Blue..etc. I'm not sure this is necceary for this short jumper cable, but I didn't want any "fuzz" in my display. I also ran pin5 GND to pin5 GND, HSYNC, VSYNC, and seperate (2nd wire in twisted pair) grounds for these to the SYNC GND (pin 10). I also connected the monitor ID bits, but I'm almost positive you don't really need these.

I've attached a picture of the finished jumper. It gives a nice "1" 90deg turn" (one inch ninety degree turn.....) so that it now fits into my glove box (sideways).

Did you use cat5 because it was lying around or was there a purpose (i.e., because its shielded?)
          I used it because I have a ton of it. It's probably a bit easier to solder into the VERY TINY VGA connector pins than stranded wire.

Good luck!
          Attached Files
          MikeH

Comment

This is what I am using.
            I don't know how much space you have,
            but this might be simpler.
            L-com
            They do have two types for either direction.
            Attached Files

Comment

Great find! Certainly much easier than making your own. What is the depth? For some reason they didn't put it on the engineering drawing on the web site.

Shamir, you'll probably have to remove the handle on the rear of the C134 chassis to use this...

....ops..nevermind....it's 1.2" deep...found it.
              MikeH

Comment

thanks for the help.....more questions (of course )

Great find! Certainly much easier than making your own. What is the depth? For some reason they didn't put it on the engineering drawing on the web site.

Shamir, you'll probably have to remove the handle on the rear of the C134 chassis to use this...

....ops..nevermind....it's 1.2" deep...found it.

Mike:
                It looks like it might clear the handle since the female will be pointing down when it is attached.

After posting last night i went to radio shack and picked up some ends and some 22 ga non-braided wire (which feels like working with pins when soldering). I finally finished wiring the connector @ 5:00 am, but i got it to work. =D

Now comes insulating it and making the bend. I was thinking of lining it with tinfoil then 'lectrical tape, and soldering the tinfoil onto the male and female ends. does this sound like a reasonable plan to get rid of any interfecence i might pick up from the car?

By the way, i dont think its out of the question to ground R, G and B. I found this pinout (http://www.monitorworld.com/Cables/h...le_pinout.html) and cut and stripped a monitor cable to find that the Red Ret (red gnd) round "braided" with the red with a thick insulation between.

Everybody:

Thanks everybody for your help, i am gonne get one of those L connectors just in case my soldering work comes apart

Comment

Originally posted by tom2112
                  Not sure if this will help, but here's a link to one you can buy:
                  http://www.connectworld.net/iec/l13301.html

It looks almost as big as a straight connector, though. If you're really tight for space, you're better off just wiring one yourself. I just looked up the wiring for it and it is straight thru (pin 1 to pin 1, 2 to 2, etc.) and it uses all 15 pins.

VGA cables are not paired conductors or setup in twisted pairs, like in Cat5 cables. I think Mike just used it because it was convenient. There might be some noise reduction in the signal if you used twisted pairs with the right twist and the right signals. But it'd take an electrical engineer to figure out which ones are which. I wouldn't sweat the Cat5 thing. Just use any wire you've got laying around. Try to get something close to gage 24 wire.

Thanks for the help. I ended up using 22 ga wire cause it was the closest they had @ radio shack

Comment

Shamir,

It looks like it might clear the handle since the female will be pointing down when it is attached.
                    Unfortunately, mine needs to point up since my case is mounted on it's bottom in my glove box.....Not a big deal tho.
                    soldering the tinfoil onto the male and female ends
                    I don't believe this is possible. I don't think "aluminum" will adhere to solder (and visa versa). I wouldn't go overboard on the insulation, unless your cable is longer than 12-18". You should be OK with just some careful grounding of the returns. Again, my Cat5 is not shielded, just twisted pairs with the second wire is grounded. If your cable were 3+ feet you might want to pay more attention to it.
                    MikeH

Comment

Shamir,

Unfortunately, mine needs to point up since my case is mounted on it's bottom in my glove box.....Not a big deal tho.

I don't believe this is possible. I don't think "aluminum" will adhere to solder (and visa versa). I wouldn't go overboard on the insulation, unless your cable is longer than 12-18". You should be OK with just some careful grounding of the returns. Again, my Cat5 is not shielded, just twisted pairs with the second wire is grounded. If your cable were 3+ feet you might want to pay more attention to it.
                      My cable is about 3" long (just enough to make a bend)...when you say grounding of the returns, do you mean in addition to going pin-to-pin? That should ground itself (through the mobo, right?). Of should i ground the returns to the casing for the plug?

Comment

No, I mean just go pin-to-pin. I don't think you'll need to ground the connector shell.
                        MikeH

Comment

Working...
                        X