No announcement yet.

Paging "Claylong"....comp->to bose ???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paging "Claylong"....comp->to bose ???

I am going to replace the HU in my A4 with a C134 w/a M9000 MoBo. The Sound card can do 6 ch sound through its 3 mic jacks. My question is this:

i have read on other posts that OEM sound upgrade amps (Bose, Infinity, etc.) use *slightly* amplified line leves to the amplifier (claylong said a while back that it was 18x4 watt amplification). If i am using an onboard EQ with winamp, will jacking up the levels help with this problem? What have people done to circumvent this problem.

I am using a little board from radioshack that takes in 8 phono plugs and has solder friendly plugs on the back to split the signal in RCA to speaker wire. then i was going to tap the appropriate wires near the wiring harness. I know my system uses a common grond (1 ground for 4 line outputs). I am going to run the sub line straight to the trunk where i have an AM sub/amp, and to achieve fading front and rear i am going to wire the RF and RR to the front and LF and LR to the back, then use the right/left balance on winamp to be my fader.

Any input or suggestions much appreciated. TIA.

Any thoughts/input are much appreciated.
    Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

Jus...

What audio amplifier will you be using? If you remove/replace your HU, you need an audio amp of some kind.

I didn't quite understand the function of the Radio Shack gizmo. You will need to feed your (line level) motherboard outputs thru some sort of audio amp, then to your speakers. I think what claylong was referring to was, some audio amps can take EITHER RCA inputs (usually very low level audio) OR "line level" inputs (or both). You already have line level (approx 1volt rms signal) out of your mobo (it's the stereo mini-plug). This will easily feed the line level input of an amp, or it could overdrive the RCA inputs of the amp. I bought a cheap ($24) 2-channel amp from WalMart, connected my stereo line-level outputs to the line-level inputs of the amp, and adjust the volume using the mixer in WinXP..... If you only have RCA inputs on your amp, you can buy a "level converter" at WalMart, PepBoys, etc.

Is this what you're asking?
    MikeH

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
      Jus...

What audio amplifier will you be using? If you remove/replace your HU, you need an audio amp of some kind.

I didn't quite understand the function of the Radio Shack gizmo. You will need to feed your (line level) motherboard outputs thru some sort of audio amp, then to your speakers. I think what claylong was referring to was, some audio amps can take EITHER RCA inputs (usually very low level audio) OR "line level" inputs (or both). You already have line level (approx 1volt rms signal) out of your mobo (it's the stereo mini-plug). This will easily feed the line level input of an amp, or it could overdrive the RCA inputs of the amp. I bought a cheap ($24) 2-channel amp from WalMart, connected my stereo line-level outputs to the line-level inputs of the amp, and adjust the volume using the mixer in WinXP..... If you only have RCA inputs on your amp, you can buy a "level converter" at WalMart, PepBoys, etc.

Is this what you're asking?
      Mike:

the amp i will be using is the one built into the BOSE system in my car. It does not have RCA in since bose is not meant to be modified, but that never stopped us before

My radio shack thing allows (with some soldering) for me to plug in a phono (RCA) plug into a little 3" x 2" board and get a +/- speaker wire on the other side. So the setup will be as follows:

3 mini-jacks on mobo (6 ch sound) go to radio shack board. I get RF, RR, LF, LR and Center in speaker wire form. Sub line goes to a phono splitter and goes to aftermarket amp in trunk, which takes RCA. the posotive from each of the 4 channels (door speakers) get wired into the 4 line output wires in the wiring harness that used to be connected to the HU, while the 4 grounds get connected to the common ground. then i am going to tap a switched acc 12V to go to the remote turn-on for the amp (i think).

As you know from this thread: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1329, claylong said his HU amplified the signal before it sent it to the bose - is this what you are reffering to when you talk about the wal-mart amp? the problem with this solution (for me) is 2-fold -1. space is an issue - nowhere good to put that. 2. 4 channels going into the bose.

I have thought about using david navonne's adaptors, but i dont know how big of a problem this will be.

what do you think?
      Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

Comment

Working...
      X