Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my car pc is dead

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • my car pc is dead

    I have been running my Thinkpad T20 for a few months now, all was running very nicely until the other day

    I've been using a car laptop adapter running it at 16v. All of a sudden Windows popped up with the dreaded message "the battery is critically low, blah blah blah". The adapter wasn't charging the laptop. Checked the output and it was giving 11.5 to 11.9 volts. Basically an alternating voltage between that range.

    I've tried charging the laptop with the geniune AC adapter and nothing! No power is in the laptop at all I think its simply ready to break up for bits now as to replace the laptop motherboard is basically out of the question.

    Ahh well.... time to start researching into the major area of building you own car pc from scratch.
    Volvo C70 - Installation in progress *gulp*

  • #2
    Why not just find out if your battery is no good? But if your gonna break it up, I sure could use the LCD...I have a T20 and this one is developing spots!
    Stop Buying New Music CD's.
    Hit The RIAA where it lives.

    Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hey, I'd be interested in your t20 parts. My mother's T20 has a busted screen and she's been moving windows into the upper left corner of the screen for almost a year now. The motherboard is still good.
      car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

      Comment


      • #4
        sorry chut, didn't mean to but in. didn't really read your post.

        I actually have a 14.1" LCD for the T20, but need the cable to connect it to the motherboard, because the original screen was 13.3"

        maybe he'll part it out and make us both happy!

        so corsamel,
        what are the screen specs?
        car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

        Comment


        • #5
          All might not be lost I have delt with a bunch of Laptops that would get confused when ran to the point of no charge...

          UNPLUG the laptop, unplug the battery (and any spare battery if installed)

          Wait 90 seconds

          Plug in the AC power and then Plug in the battery. See if you can get it to charge up and run that way (leave it on the charger for 30 mins or so before you turn in on)

          I have a tecra that will try to suspend if the battery gets too low but it fails and then the screen doesn't work till I do this. ( I have seen a few older laptops with this type of issue.)




          Originally posted by corsamel
          I have been running my Thinkpad T20 for a few months now, all was running very nicely until the other day

          I've been using a car laptop adapter running it at 16v. All of a sudden Windows popped up with the dreaded message "the battery is critically low, blah blah blah". The adapter wasn't charging the laptop. Checked the output and it was giving 11.5 to 11.9 volts. Basically an alternating voltage between that range.

          I've tried charging the laptop with the geniune AC adapter and nothing! No power is in the laptop at all I think its simply ready to break up for bits now as to replace the laptop motherboard is basically out of the question.

          Ahh well.... time to start researching into the major area of building you own car pc from scratch.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by belezeebub
            All might not be lost I have delt with a bunch of Laptops that would get confused when ran to the point of no charge...

            UNPLUG the laptop, unplug the battery (and any spare battery if installed)

            Wait 90 seconds

            Plug in the AC power and then Plug in the battery. See if you can get it to charge up and run that way (leave it on the charger for 30 mins or so before you turn in on)

            I have a tecra that will try to suspend if the battery gets too low but it fails and then the screen doesn't work till I do this. ( I have seen a few older laptops with this type of issue.)

            It appears to be the actual part of the motherboard which deals with the power/charging aspect. I have tried another battery and just nothing happens (no power/charging led) when I plug the laptop into the AC adapter.

            I might actually be able to get hold of some of some more parts *fingers crossed* so all may not be lost. Will keep you posted if I end up breaking it for parts.

            Morel of the story: If using a laptop for a car pc be prepared to ditch the whole laptop if something goes wrong.
            Volvo C70 - Installation in progress *gulp*

            Comment


            • #7
              Go Nano ITX Corsamel

              It'll take far less space than you have alocated for the laptop

              Go one you know you want to!!!!! This is a sign it was mean't to happen ... trust your feelings luke.. sorry got carried away then
              Lilliput 8", C134 EPIA-M 900 (Black), A1-ITX, 256 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, DVD, 802.11g, mini keyboard

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by slarty
                Go Nano ITX Corsamel

                It'll take far less space than you have alocated for the laptop

                Go one you know you want to!!!!! This is a sign it was mean't to happen ... trust your feelings luke.. sorry got carried away then

                It'll take far less space than you have alocated for the laptop

                Go one you know you want to!!!!! This is a sign it was mean't to happen ... trust your feelings luke.. sorry got carried away then

                be quiet... I am actually really liking the idea of being able to add PCI cards, extra components, a nice 5v feed from a PSU etc etc.

                However I like my laptop as I can start up from standby in a matter of seconds and run the whole system without the engine on due to the laptops own power source. Plus from what ive briefly

                So, feel free to persude me to go down the other PC route. I'm all ears
                Volvo C70 - Installation in progress *gulp*

                Comment


                • #9
                  s'okay, this is a public forum and I think you have just as much a right to express your interest as I do.


                  Originally posted by robiewp
                  sorry chut, didn't mean to but in. didn't really read your post.

                  I actually have a 14.1" LCD for the T20, but need the cable to connect it to the motherboard, because the original screen was 13.3"

                  maybe he'll part it out and make us both happy!

                  so corsamel,
                  what are the screen specs?
                  Stop Buying New Music CD's.
                  Hit The RIAA where it lives.

                  Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    LOL go SFF thats good too for PCI card but I found PCI card popped for me hence getting all on onboard stuff and going down the C134 EPIA.

                    Have a great New Year!

                    Originally posted by corsamel
                    be quiet... I am actually really liking the idea of being able to add PCI cards, extra components, a nice 5v feed from a PSU etc etc.

                    However I like my laptop as I can start up from standby in a matter of seconds and run the whole system without the engine on due to the laptops own power source. Plus from what ive briefly

                    So, feel free to persude me to go down the other PC route. I'm all ears
                    Lilliput 8", C134 EPIA-M 900 (Black), A1-ITX, 256 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, DVD, 802.11g, mini keyboard

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by slarty
                      LOL go SFF thats good too for PCI card but I found PCI card popped for me hence getting all on onboard stuff and going down the C134 EPIA.

                      Have a great New Year!
                      popped? how do you mean? doesn't sound too good.

                      Well space isn't that much of an issue so if I was to go for a full pc I would probably just get a standard size motherboard. Still, laptop route is still in favour!
                      Volvo C70 - Installation in progress *gulp*

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Well rough roads or sharp high speed bumps made the graph card and sound card move slightly causing many many blue screens of death, apart from that it was great... when it was stationary . I have seen alot of people here with PCI cards and they seem to be ok... its probably my driving . Just my experiences of PCI/AGP slots and car PC's

                        Originally posted by corsamel
                        popped? how do you mean? doesn't sound too good.

                        Well space isn't that much of an issue so if I was to go for a full pc I would probably just get a standard size motherboard. Still, laptop route is still in favour!
                        Lilliput 8", C134 EPIA-M 900 (Black), A1-ITX, 256 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, DVD, 802.11g, mini keyboard

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          a dab of glue on the short edges of the slots will fix that.

                          In the olden days (2-3 years ago) PCI cards poppong out was a big problem here, and glueing the cards in fixed it--just make sure you dont get glue on the contacts.
                          Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
                          Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
                          I'M DEBT FREE!!
                          I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            nice one.. heh I may just start again, we'll see



                            Originally posted by wizardPC
                            a dab of glue on the short edges of the slots will fix that.

                            In the olden days (2-3 years ago) PCI cards poppong out was a big problem here, and glueing the cards in fixed it--just make sure you dont get glue on the contacts.
                            Lilliput 8", C134 EPIA-M 900 (Black), A1-ITX, 256 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, DVD, 802.11g, mini keyboard

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              On a couple of old IBM laptops I have had in the past the unit that charges the battery is seperate from the motherboard itself and could be replaced. If it's an IBM product call them and explain your problem and they should be able to tell you if they can ship you a new part or not. I've had great experiences with IBM where I call and someone literally picks up the phone on the third ring and it is a live person. None of this phone menu crap... of course with them shipping jobs overseas I don't know if it's like that anymore.

                              Also, don't worry about if the product is in warrenty or not, even if it isn't they will still take the time to at least tell you what parts your looking for and if it's replaceable or not. I even had an IBM guy call me back after he dug up some information on a monitor that was probably 5 years old at the time.

                              Anyway, hopefully IBM hasn't screwed up and fired their excellent technical support staff. If they are still like they were when I had to deal with them they will help you out.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X