Sound not quite right

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound not quite right

I have a ground loop inductor from radio shack and that clears the whine and buzz, but I still get a headache listening to music on my mp3 player (or a CD player powered from the cigarette lighter). It sounds fine to my ears, but they start hurting pretty soon so there must be some frequency I can't hear that's giving me a headache/earache.
    Could this be a grounding issue? How could I ground my PS and Inverter, neither has a ground wire attached. Can I just tape a wire to the outside case? What is a choke, what exactly does it do and how much does it cost? Also, can I plug it straight in the lighter or do I have to do some soldering?

Well i dont know abou tthat 'inaudible frequency' but hey id you say so...First step to reducing your headache 1)turn the volume down

Well basically a choke is an inline power filter...it smooths out any waveforms in the DC power supply. You will have to splice wires to do this so i suggest soldering but its not nesscasary if you get screw terminal strips or something to that affect to secure the splices. You place the two leads from the choke inline into your +12 power wire to whatever is causing the problem...in my case it was the amp so i put it inline there.

hope that helps some

Comment

Since the inverter itself also screws with the power by making a pseudo AC sin wave, where would I put the choke? If I put it before the inverter, that won't help smooth out the pseudo sin.

I may be better off just getting a DC->DC converter, but I've yet to find one to my liking in price/size/features.

Thanks

Comment

I don't know if you've come across this one in your searches yet, but http://scott.kincaid.net has a pretty basic one for $35, or $25 if you want to assemble it yourself. And it's really small, so you can stick it anywhere. The only drawback is that after the motherboard, etc. is powered, you'll probably only have enough power left for one or maybe two drives. If you have more drives to power, you can either buy a second power supply of the same kind, or maybe you'd want to find one that can supply all of your drives.
        digitalswirlee.com

Comment

I found an interim solution to the sound problem. Plugging in a $2 power strip acts as enough of a filter to completely do away with the noise. I hear nothing but the great music now.

Comment

I asked my dad, who is an audiologist about the headache. He said that although he has not seen any research , it may be possible. He said you vould have to listen to it VERY loud for a Very Long time though

Comment

Maybe I'm ultra sensitive then

Comment

About your headaches, it's a well known fact that certian frequenceys can cause various things to happen to you. for example between 4-6hz will put you to sleep. Some higher ones 8-15 or so can cause physical pain. The military actualy has sound weapons that will cause enemy soldiers to fall on the ground and soil their pants. The problem is producing these frequencys. No speaker system can produce a frequency that low. A way to emulate these frequencys is to play to separate tones with a DIFFERENCE of 4-6 hz. after a while your brain will interpret the difference of the 2 sounds as it's own sound. this works best in a stero arangment with the 2 tones in different ears. Another example, I recently added another Fan and another harddrive to my home computer. The added hardware caused me to get terrible headaches when my computer was one. I concluded that the Fans were hitting a harmonic with a difference of about 13 HZ. I tightened all the screws on the inside and put some tape around one fan to keep it from vibrating and the problem was solved. I hope this info helped out some.

http://netcult.org

Comment

Working...
                X