wardriving antenna

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wardriving antenna

So i kind of figured out that my current wardriving setup has **** poor reception, so i need an antenna. I see these tiny antennas that cost about $90, and then theres this one on ebay that is only $20.

other than the fact that the ebay one looks like a CB antenna, anyone know anything about this antenna?
    Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
    I'M DEBT FREE!!
    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

I own the big brother to that antenna, the 7dbi with two swirls. Wheras before I had to be within, say, 150 feet of an AP, with the antenna I can usually be up to 1000 feet, and in some rare cases up to 2000 feet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=45000

night and day difference.

P.S. i'm speaking of suburban environments.
    car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

well, there ya go.

thanks for that link
      Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
      Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
      I'M DEBT FREE!!
      I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

There's nothing to the antenna but you can't argue with results! I also have a cantenna I can break out if I want to be more discrete and go further away, or simply pinpoint the source of the signal.

Comment

Try looking for an 8dB one. They are a little more money but again more distance and not that much bigger.
          Aura MR62 (F and R)
          My Current MP3s
          IamDefiler.com

Comment

I'm gonna try to solder a wire to my Linksys USB G WiFi unit.
            I was mounting it, and kinda broke/exposed the attenna element.

Even though attenna's are tuned for frequencies, sometime's it help having a larger untuned attennna.

I'm gonna see if it uses a ground to make a goround plane and maybe solder that to my car chassis, or is it just 1 element. Well, I can do test later, this USB is easy to hack.

My attenna will be used for file transfer and not so much wardriving. If I wanted to WarDrive, I would get a Orinaco base but that oonly does 802.11b, but works with Netstumbler.
            SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
            GPSing - Digital Speedo
            Relocating headunit and extending faceplate
            Button app to Alt-Tab between two programs

Comment

Originally posted by LESLIEx317537
              I'm gonna try to solder a wire to my Linksys USB G WiFi unit.
              I was mounting it, and kinda broke/exposed the attenna element.

Even though attenna's are tuned for frequencies, sometime's it help having a larger untuned attennna.

I'm gonna see if it uses a ground to make a goround plane and maybe solder that to my car chassis, or is it just 1 element. Well, I can do test later, this USB is easy to hack.

My attenna will be used for file transfer and not so much wardriving. If I wanted to WarDrive, I would get a Orinaco base but that oonly does 802.11b, but works with Netstumbler.
              Try this site
              http://www.radiolabs.com/products/antennas/wifi.html
              and look at this THREAD
              BossTone74

Comment

Originally posted by bosstone74
                bosston74 - Love the avatar

-Jason

Comment

Originally posted by psyclobe
                  bosston74 - Love the avatar

-Jason
                  If you like that avatar go to:
                  http://vidalcris.free.fr/
                  his normal avatar is interesting,right now they only use chrismas-avatars not so interesting

Comment

Originally posted by wizardPC
                    So i kind of figured out that my current wardriving setup has **** poor reception, so i need an antenna. I see these tiny antennas that cost about $90, and then theres this one on ebay that is only $20.

other than the fact that the ebay one looks like a CB antenna, anyone know anything about this antenna?
                    Th is one looks and sounds bas ***!
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...6&category=176
                    BossTone74

Comment

If I didn't already have two antennas that work great I'd totally buy that. It would go right along with my 8foot omni cellular antenna

Comment

does anyone know how far away you could be for my wireless router with a 12dbi antenna?

Comment

Sway,

As a general rule of thumb, for every 3db of antenna gain improvement, you will double your effective range. So if you go from a 9dbi gain antenna to a 12dbi gain antenna, you will effectively double your range. However, there are other factors that come into play, so the 3db improvement is not always toatlly accurate.
                          MikeH

Comment

Would any one be willing to get one of these and ship it to me obviously I would pay all costs

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3065692644

I'm in the UK and they have stopped shipping these kits to the uk because of damage from domestic mail services.

The price is $46 and I can only find them for $170 elsewhere. Any help much appreciated
                            Lilliput 8", C134 EPIA-M 900 (Black), A1-ITX, 256 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, DVD, 802.11g, mini keyboard

Comment

Don't forget. WiFi is a two way communication.

If you power up your attenna or get a better antenna, yes you will have better reception and transmission.

But, the Access Point to which you are connecting to must also be able to transmit the signal back. Yes it helps to have a better gain, but improving both sources helps.
                              SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
                              GPSing - Digital Speedo
                              Relocating headunit and extending faceplate
                              Button app to Alt-Tab between two programs

Comment

Working...
                              X