Quick Motherboard/RAM question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Motherboard/RAM question

I bought the EPIA M10000 which uses PC2100 RAM. I just took a trip to OfficeMax to see what kind of prices they have for RAM. They have 512Meg Kingston PC2700 memory sticks for like $50, but no PC2100.

Can you run PC2700 RAM in the EPAIA M10000?

OfficeMax? You have anything better around? And... don't quote me, I think it's possible, but don't try it. Wait for other people to back it up.
    My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
    2 Kicker Comp 10"
    Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
    Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
    Check it out?!

Comment

Originally posted by crosseye
      Can you run PC2700 RAM in the EPAIA M10000?
      Most likely this should be fine.

I can't say specifically for the Epia motherboard, however most motherboards are compatible with higher speed rated RAM* just fine... not all, but most.

*Of course, this is true as long as it's the same type of RAM (168-pin SDRAM versus the newer 184-pin DDR RAM, etc).

Also, as you mention Kingston, that is a fairly common memory brand name, and should help with compatability.
      2008 Subaru Impreza WRX-STI
      Pioneer AVIC-D3 <-- poooor comparison to StreetDeck!!!

2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder
      Stock... for now

SOLD - 04 WRX - In-Dash Touchscreen, MacMini, StreetDeck ver 1

Comment

Im currently running pc3200, so yes, its all good. You just cant utilize the benifits.
        2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

It will work fine. The MB will just run at the speed it's suposed to.
          Aura MR62 (F and R)
          My Current MP3s
          IamDefiler.com

Comment

To go more indepth, the fact that its PC2700 (aka DDR333) is rated to run at 333mhz ddr, or a 166mhz fsb. PC2100 (aka DDR266) only requires the ram to run at 266mhz, so using fast rated ram in a machine that requires slower ram will work. I believe that i have "pc2700" in my epia as well. Older machines might have a problem using fater rated ram, but that was often due to the memory density that comes along with newer, faster ram.
            -Nick

Comment

Working...
            X