Playstation RF modulator ..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playstation RF modulator ..

I bought a color video camera with infrared for my car (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3069382405) which outputs composite video. My TV capture card only accepts RF coaxial so .. I need an RF modulator.

Well Biglots has a Playstation RF modulator for $3.99. Seems reasonable that it would use a composite source to modulate to RF, right? If it uses Svideo or RGB im out of luck, it just seems like composite would be the cheapest/easiest way to go. For $3.99 im not really worried about it too much I went to buy it but relised I left my debit card at home :/ I'll probably pick one up tomorrow.

I'll also post a small review when I get the camera. I'm going to give it a test run before I decide where to mount it. I dont think 30 LED's will give much IR range, if its 30ft or so it may go up front. If its less it will go in the back so I can see curbs in the dark

yes please post more about it and what you did about the 12v adapter that was not included. what you did to power it up.
    jjh
    I GIVE FREE HUGS!
    Buy Sell or Trade
    If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
    Thank you
    Forex
    Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

Originally posted by jjh221
      yes please post more about it and what you did about the 12v adapter that was not included. what you did to power it up.
      jjh
      It should be here next week. For 12v im going to use a cheap universal dc-dc car adapter. You can get them at wallmart for like $6, they're only good for a few hundred ma's but thats all this needs. If you have a normal PC in your car you could run it right off 12v line on the power supply.

I hope the infrared has some good range. I've been planning a 2 camera system with a multiplexer (so I can have both on showing half the screen). I'll also have relays to switch to full screen on either camera.

Another cool feature: I was at Value Village on my weekly scavenge for electronics and found a power mirror from some Subaru. Well, I got it home and ripped apart the motor and wired up some relays to test it.

Picture this. In the center of my grill a camera, maybe this camera, mounted to the power mirror motor controlled by an 8 way joystick (something small). Could be alot of fun

Comment

Hey you took my idea yeah i would like to get that camera as well but i dont know how it will work inside the car. behind the glass. see i have a explorer. i was gonna take out the old power mirror from my pickup and put the camera in top of the back window. run the wires up the center console for controler. nice idea but i like mine better. :OP if it will work. i have seen other cameras with glass. but i dont know if the angle would do any thing as the camera moves. as well as the tint in the back window, i might have to cut that out. cool idea let me know if it works.
        I GIVE FREE HUGS!
        Buy Sell or Trade
        If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
        Thank you
        Forex
        Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

Even if the modulator uses S-vid , you can adapt it down to composit. You can make the adapter, or but it from radio shack.
          Gizmo-
          Techonlogy on Wheels
          http://www.hjnetworks.com/car

Comment

Ah, I remember fighting with Radio Shack for about a year over that adapter, they swore it couldn't be done, and I swore it already was and that it shipped with EVERY motherboard with a TVout. If they weren't the only people in this town for elec. parts.
            Radio Shack - You've got questions, we've got blank stares.
            2006 Chevy Colorado: VIA M10000 EDEN, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB 2.5" Seagate HDD, USB Slim Slot DVD/RW, Holux GPS, MobileVU 10.4" LCD (touch not working yet), VOOMPC Case (blue), 70W DC-DC supply.

Comment

You're correct, those IR LEDs provide just about (not quite) squat for lighting. If you want to go all out, look for IR lamps. They can be found cheapest as AC IR heat lamps (warm food) but make quite a flood light. Finding a way to mount them is another problem.

let us know how your $25 shipping from hong kong go over. I ended up paying out the nose to get one in the US.
              car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

Originally posted by gizmomkr
                Even if the modulator uses S-vid , you can adapt it down to composit. You can make the adapter, or but it from radio shack.
                I've made the adapter before on another project.

Alot better than rat shack ones if you have the right stuff laying around. http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/c...eo2cvideo.html

But if it takes a S-Vid input I would have to turn my composite into S-video, not the other way around.

Comment

Working...
                X