Sound Blaster mp3+ vs. M-audio sonica USB Sound Cards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound Blaster mp3+ vs. M-audio sonica USB Sound Cards

first off i did and usb sound cards has been discussed but please bear with me

I am installing my computer this week and right now i am using a epia-m with onboard sound.

One difference i see between these is the creative is 16 bit and the m-audio is 24bit. I dont know how that will affect sound or if my ears could tell.

Basically the mp3+ is readily available at walmart, but if the sonica is better choice i am gonna order it and do it right. These 2 seem most in my price range i want to spend.

Any suggestions if i should go for the sonica or the mp3+.
    I hear lots of good things when reading about usb sound.

Thanks!

or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Around the 40-60 market range

I've never done a comparo between those two sound devices. I used to use, and I AM LOOKING TO SELL, a Sonica. It is not as good as an Audigy or M-Audio Revolution but it is way better than the EPIA on board, which I have also tried. I would the sonica for $40 shipped with USB cable if you are interested.
    Aura MR62 (F and R)
    My Current MP3s
    IamDefiler.com

Comment

yeah i found you in my search. You been trying to sell that for a lil while
      I might just wait off till i get a little extra money and get something better.

Why are you wanting to sell the sonica, and what is you current sound card of choice? usb or pci?

Thanks

Comment

I had both.

The MP3+ is better for XP. The Sonica was or is made for Macs more.

I added a mic up front easily to my MP3+, the sonica is out only.
        SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
        GPSing - Digital Speedo
        Relocating headunit and extending faceplate
        Button app to Alt-Tab between two programs

Comment

Also, when using digital mode, for example the digital optical out.

If you want to change volume. The Sonica uses Wav as the optical volume control whereas the MP3+ uses the main volume. So i fyou have a keyboard that changes volume for the main only, like my logitech at home, and you use optical out, then the MP3+ is what is correct.

Also after a while of using the sonica, it would only initialize when I loaded winamp or something. Else, it would not make any noise until i loaded a sound app. Weird.

I got it for 1 cent too. I sold it on eBay.

I now use a Audigy 2 NX at home, and a MP3+ in my car.
          SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
          GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

Originally posted by pogue1000
            Why are you wanting to sell the sonica, and what is you current sound card of choice? usb or pci?

Thanks
            Got a totally different setup which has 1 AGP and 2 PCI slots. I am using an Audigy 2 ZS in the carputer.

Just to comment on what LESLIEx317537 said...

Yes I believe the sonica was more for the Macs but other than the input on the MP3+ I think the quality is the same. I never used the digital out before but never had the problem of getting no sound untill opening an app. That is odd.

Well, it's still for sale if anyone wants it. I should just get off my *** and post it on eBay.
            Aura MR62 (F and R)
            My Current MP3s
            IamDefiler.com

Comment

well i picked up the mp3+ at walmart and i will have to test it out. Winter is a crappy time to work on a project, I have to go to my fathers and work in his messy garage.

I have a working test with the onboard epia sound and it is actually pretty good, so even a slight improvement with the mp3+ and i will be happy.

My stereo system is kenwood excelon head unit with my factory infinity gold speakers and factory amp. THey are good speakers and all, but not the high quality ones to pick up all the imperfections.

Cant wait to get version 1 ready and installed properly

Comment

With my MP3+ in my car, I get no line noise at all.
                Only during boot, then the USB iniatizes and all line noise goes away.
                I'm very very very happy with the self powered USB MP3+ setup. I didn't have to run any extra cables for it, since I had a hub up front.
                GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

THanks
                  Now if only the snow would met and i could get some progress

Originally posted by LESLIEx317537
                  With my MP3+ in my car, I get no line noise at all.
                  Only during boot, then the USB iniatizes and all line noise goes away.
                  I'm very very very happy with the self powered USB MP3+ setup. I didn't have to run any extra cables for it, since I had a hub up front.

Comment

FWIW, i'm using the sonica at the moment. The sound quality is very good, but my only complaint is that the volume is a little low (I'm using a headunitless setup you see).
                    My Setup

Comment

O, forgot to mention, the sonica has a 1/8th out jack.

The MP3+ has RCA outs in additional to the mic and headphone 1/8th jack.

My Kenwood deck has RCA aux in, so I got 1 foot custom directional RCA bales made from a friend to connect. No need to convert from 1/8th headphone to RCA.
                      GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

Originally posted by Defiler
                        Got a totally different setup which has 1 AGP and 2 PCI slots. I am using an Audigy 2 ZS in the carputer.

Just to comment on what LESLIEx317537 said...

Yes I believe the sonica was more for the Macs but other than the input on the MP3+ I think the quality is the same. I never used the digital out before but never had the problem of getting no sound untill opening an app. That is odd.

Well, it's still for sale if anyone wants it. I should just get off my *** and post it on eBay.
                        Defiler,

Why did you ace the ITX I remember you having besides speed?
                        Seeing your setup must be bigger now...

-Mario

Comment

Originally posted by m3rdpwr
                          Defiler,

Why did you ace the ITX I remember you having besides speed?
                          Seeing your setup must be bigger now...

-Mario
                          Speed really was the main reason...Another was expansion. I wanted to do much more than the ITX was going to let me do without spending extra on external adaptors and such. And besides I got a killer deal on the MB/Case/PSU. It hasn't been all I wanted it to be, ie. fitting under my passenger seat, but I have changed the way I feal about having the puter in the boot. Heat was another issue. The ITX was in the arm rest and in the summer I knew it was just getting too hot for it to last. Sound quality was another concern. I wanted to, and I am in the process, go head unitless and I wanted a better signal for my audio setup. So I have an Audigy 2 ZS. In the end, even though it's out of the car for the time being, I'm very happy with the changes I have made in Ver. 2 of my Carputer.

BTW here is a link to what I have in the puter now. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=16130

I need to update a few small items but for the most part it's up to date.
                          Aura MR62 (F and R)
                          My Current MP3s
                          IamDefiler.com

Comment

ok, here's the BIG SECRET

NO USB SOUND CARD does either 24bit OR more than 48kHz. this is a limitation of the USB sound definition.

those 2 cards thus have the same sound quality (as long as the analog stage is the same or similar.)

Now, the presence of the RCA plugs on the MP3+ is a BIG PLUS, compared to the mini jacks, as the RCA are not spring loaded, thus won't disconnect themselves when there's a bump in the road (ever wondered why the rest of the car hardware only has RCA plugs ?)
                            I don't need no stinkin' startup-shutdown controller... That's what journalized filesystems are for...
                            NavSys, the ultimate navigation app
                            http://www.navsys.org/

Comment

A few notes on my USB sound card experience.

I first picked up the Sonica Theatre 7.1 - sounds good, decent features, but had a tough time with the drivers. It kept causing problems and crashes, finally whenever I powered up the computer, it would boot to "USB Device not recognized" and I would have to unpulg the USB and reconnect before it would recognize the sound card. Huge hassle.

About a week ago, I got the Audigy NX 7.1 USB card, works fine except during dvd playback, video got choppy. I do have a USB DVD drive and a Epia M10000, a couple factors working against the NX. I don't watch DVDs hardly ever, but it bugs me stuff don't work right.

I just picked up a Phillips Aurileum (or whatever it is) and will be trying that out this weekend.

The Sonica has some nice features that the NX doesn't have. Low pass filter on all speaker pairs (crossover control), ability to do 2 channel, 2.1, 4.0, 4.1, 5.0, 5.1, (was there a 6.0 and 6.1??) 7.0 and 7.1., no need for external power and flawless while playing DVDs in 4 channel surround. The problems, wouldn't remember the volume levels I set for each speaker, driver issues, when upmixing from a stereo MP3, uses very little of the rear speakers.

The Audigy problems, lack of 4.1 speaker configuration, too much USB bandwidth, no crossover adjustment on each speaker pair. My rear 4" speakers can't handle the bass, just need to get off my lazy *** and adjust the amp, but would be nicer to adjust on the screen. Everything else I like, but I'm going to try the phillips and hope it works.

Comment

Working...
                              X